Poirier vs Holloway. Will Poirier be able to get him to the ground?

BoD 2.0

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I'm excited to see this rematch. I don't think Poirier gets enough credit, due to a few losses he's had. But looking back on his career to date, he has some really good wins and is always a game fighter.

I think his chances at winning this fight rely on his ability to get the fight to the ground, and wear Max down with GnP and look for a submission.

Just watched Poirier/Pettis again, and forgot how much of a beast Poirier was on the ground in that fight

DirtyLavishAchillestang-size_restricted.gif

With Max's footwork and improved TDD, this may be tough.

What do you think? Who wins this fight? And how?

Porier sparks him standing in a firefight

i think wrestling will be poirier's key to victory as well. i just dont know if he will be able to wear down holloway enough to facilitate a takedown. i dont think either fighter will win by clean ko, it's just a matter of who can absorb the most damage standing.

If he gets stuck behind Max’s jab it’s going to be a 20 minute ass whooping until he gets stopped. I see Poirer more likely to land a big shot in the 2nd or 3rd that changes the fight, not stopping it but putting max on his heels and not so confident

Yes
I’ve been telling you max isn’t on his level
Poirer wins by mixing up striking and wrestling
I’ll make a thread on it once my dubs lift

Is this the guy that Michael Johnson knocked out cold?

<{Heymansnicker}>

Max is also pillow fisted meaning Dustins chin won’t be much of a factor

Holloway at 155 will be interesting in and of itself. It seems like going up in weight has been yielding favorable results more often than not, these days. If Holloway keeps his gas tank and has more power at 155, he could be a tough match for Khabib.

I'm excited to see this rematch. I don't think Poirier gets enough credit, due to a few losses he's had. But looking back on his career to date, he has some really good wins and is always a game fighter.

I think his chances at winning this fight rely on his ability to get the fight to the ground, and wear Max down with GnP and look for a submission.

Just watched Poirier/Pettis again, and forgot how much of a beast Poirier was on the ground in that fight

I think Max takes this fight. However, Dustin's top game is highly underrated. He has good pressure and activity, his submissions are high level aswell. Notwithstanding his abilities, I think Max will be able to keep a good pace during stand up and stuff Dustin's takedowns.

I think Max takes this fight. However, Dustin's top game is highly underrated. He has good pressure and activity, his submissions are high level aswell. Notwithstanding his abilities, I think Max will be able to keep a good pace during stand up and stuff Dustin's takedowns.
It's going to be kinda surreal to watch if Dustin can get it down, and put a beating on him on the ground.

I also am predicting Max to outbox him, and stop him late though.

Seems a lot of people haven't realised just how good Holloway is right now. This'll be another blowout, like the Ortega fight.

Of course an upset can happen, but it would be just that.

Seems a lot of people haven't realised just how good Holloway is right now. This'll be another blowout, like the Ortega fight.

Of course an upset can happen, but it would be just that.

Lol at comparing Poirier to Ortega. He's a more well rounded fighter and a way better striker.

If he gets stuck behind Max’s jab it’s going to be a 20 minute ass whooping until he gets stopped. I see Poirer more likely to land a big shot in the 2nd or 3rd that changes the fight, not stopping it but putting max on his heels and not so confident
There is too much tuna in this post

We have to acknowledge one very big thing (no pun intended).Max now walks around in the 180 range. He also, like Dustin, has evolved an enormous deal.

I think this turns out to be a " bad luck fight" that has dropped on Dustin's lap.
Poirier is now a top tier 155er.Max is now not only elite but a top pound for pounder.
The question is- can Dustin keep Max down if he gets takedown?

I'm stoked for this fight but I see diamond falling short in hopefully what turns out to be a " fight of the year" hopeful.

I really am not getting why multiple people are giving the impression that Poirier can only win with grappling. Poirier can beat Holloway with striking or grappling and he could lose to Max by striking or grappling as well.

Poirier gets sucked into firefights in every fight he is in. His fight IQ is terrible. Yes he has a path to victory via ground game but he is most likely going to stand and bang with Max.

If he does that, Max takes him out.

maybe

but poirier is gonna do better on the feet than most people realize

his boxing has Improved a lot over the years, Max doesn't have the greatest defense.

Gonna be a war tho and technique / defense aside, Max tends to do well In those battle of will type of fights.

Poirier will get boxed the fuck up like never before. His hooks against Max' fast straight punching style will be a nightmare for him. People should stop reaching for that first fight; Max is a complete different animal. Poirier's toughness will maybe take him in the championship rounds but I can see him getting finished in the 3rd.

I'll pick Max via 2000 punches.

Back