Biased coverage of the Pettis fight.

PRIDEfallstoUFC

FAKEfallstoREAL
@Orange
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like Pettis wasn't given enough credit for investing in the body and leg kicks? He had The left side of Thompson's ribs bruised up and both of Wonderboy's legs.

For a two-round fight, both guys took a shitload of damage.

My bias was definitely towards Pettis in this fight. But I was super nervous for him eating those punches from the bigger guy. I saw the rounds a lot closer than the story was told, but could totally understand if people thought Thompson edged both.

I just think the press and commentators really undersold his kicks and the fact the superman punch comes off of a low kick feint.

Props to both guys, but I think that strike was a lot more than "out of nowhere." Pettis lulled him into it.

the commentating doesnt change the fight.

wonderboy get knocked the fuck out in the end anyway.

I thought R1 was close and was surprised at Pettis’s style, more Muay Thai. I edged R1 to Pettis from kicks but felt the judges probably had it to WB

I felt Pettis had less juice on his kicks R2 and was being boxed up more, and actually thought he may break and get finished in the 3rd...

Pettis has this tendency to start going for home runs as he’s breaking/losing, and he knocked one out of the park this fight

This difference in head strikes was pretty vast before the KO.

the commentating doesnt change the fight.

wonderboy get knocked the fuck out in the end anyway.
It does matter - people listening to the commentary got the feeling that it was a lucky punch out of nowhere and Wonderboy was dominating.
TS was pointing out that it wasn't a fluke and the setup came from Pettis' previous patterns that trapped Wonderboy.

P.S: I wasn't paying attn to the fight so I have no idea if TS is right about Pettis' shots

Does anyone else feel like Pettis wasn't given enough credit for investing in the body and leg kicks? He had The left side of Thompson's ribs bruised up and both of Wonderboy's legs.

My bias was definitely towards Pettis in this fight. But I was super nervous for him eating those punches from the bigger guy. I saw the rounds a lot closer than the story was told, but could totally understand if people thought Thompson edged both.

I just think the press and commentators really undersold his kicks and the fact the superman punch comes off of a low kick feint.

Props to both guys, but I think that strike was a lot more than "out of nowhere." Pettis lulled him into it.

You’re definitely right. They acknowledged more of Thompson’s strikes especially in round one. At 3 min mark, Pettis lands a nasty inside leg kick followed up with an oblique kick and then a hook kick that missed. Not a single comment on those thre3 kicks Pettis threw.

Leg and body shots were brutal but WB was landing head shots with ease. Was not a fluke but was kind of out of nowhere. Pettis was not dong well striking the head of WB.

All that matters is who won and better yet who was still conscious!

wonderboy was winning every second of the fight except the last two

He wasn't. He went in depth that his gameplan revolved around kicking WB's legs until WB would start thinking about getting kicked then Pettis would stop throwing straights and land his hooks. It wasn't a lucky punch anymore than Jon's kick on DC wasn't lucky. It was set up even if the person setting it up was accumulating damage in the meantime

The article/interview is on the front page. Pettis explains everything.

Last edited:

I agree. Most people treated the outcome of this fight as a foregone conclusion. As someone else pointed out, Rufus already extensively studied/gameplanned for Wonderboy for the 2 Woodley fights.

I’m not going to pretend that I expected Pettis to win, but even before the KO, and even without appreciating the finer nuances of his striking/setups, it was clear that Pettis had a gameplan that he was steadfastly following.

The whole “puncher’s chance” narrative doesn’t apply here - this wasn’t 2 heavyweights sloppily throwing haymakers at each other until one lost consciousness.

Those kicks across WB to his back leg were really adding up Pretty sure the commentator mentioned them too.

Maybe the commentary wasn't picking up on it. But a lot of the PBP I read was highlighting the leg kicks from Pettis and jab from WB.

He wasn't. He went in depth that his gameplan revolved around kicking WB's legs until WB would start thinking about getting kicked then Pettis would stop throwing straights and land his hooks. It wasn't a lucky punch anymore than Jon's kick on DC wasn't lucky. It was set up even if the person setting it up was accumulating damage in the meantime

The article/interview is on the front page. Pettis explains everything.

Sure, it might have been the plan and it is a good plan to attack WB legs since his whole game is around footwork. But that superman came off of a missed WB sidekick and not a faint lowkick from Pettis. Still good job from Pettis. Mad me sad that WB lost though. WB is like the personification of the 90s action movies so hard not to like him (part from being too religious).

I thought R1 was close and was surprised at Pettis’s style, more Muay Thai. I edged R1 to Pettis from kicks but felt the judges probably had it to WB

I felt Pettis had less juice on his kicks R2 and was being boxed up more, and actually thought he may break and get finished in the 3rd...

Pettis has this tendency to start going for home runs as he’s breaking/losing, and he knocked one out of the park this fight
I mean, that’s what you’re supposed to do when things aren’t working, try something that’ll change the fight. Too many fighters are content to hold on for a decision loss if they are starting to fade and getting outclassed.

That said, Pettis attempting a Superman punch after being backed into the fence is one of the more predictable offensive strikes from Pettis in my opinion.

Seemed like Pettis was sticking to a gameplan of destroying WB's legs to limit the movement and then he'd start going for finishing shots.

No, Pettis was getting pieced up. The leg kicks appeared to have little to no effect on Wonderboy.

Still, it highlights that need to put your opponent away as soon as possible. If you let them hang around, any errant punch can end the fight. Striking is like that. It's why grappling is more reliable, and less prone to chance. Any idiot can throw a punch, and end your night no matter how good you are at striking.

It also highlights the importance of boxing over kickboxing. Wonderboy left his hands down, like Machida, and like Chuck and he paid for it. Karate influenced kickboxing is not good at defense, and it's punches are not powerful. Defense is crucial when striking, and it's why Karate is not a reliable striking style, and few can make it work. It requires exceptional reflexes, but leaves its user wide open for standard boxing counters.

Back