LWs have always found success at WW

Mason

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
FW BJ Penn choked out prime Hughes, arguably beat GSP in their first fight, and fought #1 ranked WW Fitch to a draw.

LW Serra made prime GSP tap to strikes.

More recently, we have seen Masvidal, RDA, Cerrone, and Pettis find success at WW.

LWs have always found success at WW.
451DE1CB-DF40-46F1-8F84-9540AA94AAB2.jpeg
C89E21B7-58F8-4DB4-AEC6-275E18EF4CEE.jpeg

FW BJ Penn choked out prime Hughes, arguably beat GSP in their first fight, and fought #1 ranked WW Fitch to a draw.

More recently, we have seen Masvidal, RDA, Cerrone, and Pettis find success at WW.

GSP kicked their asses out of 170.
Toner is copying my threads and trying to spin my true narratives into his false ones .

Lightweight has always been one of the best divisions in the modern era

Moving up is often easier than moving down thats all we have seen.
Speed kills, power depends on the individual there is def lightweights that crack harder than some MWs.
However when your bring high level wrestling to the table is when you see the lighter guys struggle its just simply more taxing fighting off a heavier body at a weight disadvantage.

tbh Cerrone's WW run is pretty overrated, he beat guys on the tail end of their careers and cowboy,

I guess you could argue it was how he beat them that was special, but still

Story, Cote, Brown were ancient in fight years

*EDIT* just saw Story was on a 3 fight win streak before fighting cowboy, so that's a bad example, but
i still think Cowboy at WW wasn't nearly as impressive as some like to believe,

he only beat journeymen

Last edited:
I think the reason why these fighters are having success is because they are not depleting their bodies cutting all of that weight to get down to 155 or 145 or whatever.

What about WWs to MW?

GSP choking Bisping on the best stureak of his career and MW champ unconscious

Whittaker become champ. 3-2 @ WW, mediocre performances. 8-0 @ MW, multiple top wins and P4P status

Kelvin about to fight for the championship. 6-1 @ MW, finished Vitor, Marquardt, Kennedy and Bisping. 5-2 @ WW

What about WWs to MW?

GSP choking Bisping on the best stureak of his career and MW champ unconscious

Whittaker become champ. 3-2 @ WW, mediocre performances. 8-0 @ MW, multiple top wins and P4P status

Kelvin about to fight for the championship. 6-1 @ MW, finished Vitor, Marquardt, Kennedy and Bisping. 5-2 @ WW

Why stop there lets do Thiago Santos at LHW and Anthony Smith :)

Weight cutting is dead..but damnit, if it makes u the bigger, longer guy it def. helps

View attachment 552547
View attachment 552545
Good point TS. Not sure why some people are denying this...it has always been a trend

My client says the skill level goes down the higher up the weight classes go

He adds,
Lightweights find success at WW
WW's find success at MW
MW's find success at LHW
LHW's find success at HW

FLW to BW and BW to FW don't seem to have as many good examples, but size can really matter there as it's a bigger percentage of bodyweight.

Bigger wrestlers will still usually prevail over smaller, more skilled fighters

My client says the skill level goes down the higher up the weight classes go

He adds,
Lightweights find success at WW
WW's find success at MW
MW's find success at LHW
LHW's find success at HW

FLW to BW and BW to FW don't seem to have as many good examples, but size can really matter there as it's a bigger percentage of bodyweight.

Bigger wrestlers will still usually prevail over smaller, more skilled fighters
The reason it doesn't exist below 155 is because his statement that skill goes up as weight goes down isn't entirely true. Skill level goes up as you get closer to the average size person, which would be a LW fighter. There are two of obvious reasons imo. First that there are more people that size, therefore deeper talent pool and higher overall skill level. The second reason would be that normal sized people are probably better developed for well-rounded athleticism.

I'm speaking in generalities. Obviously there are many exceptions to what I'm saying.

Back