Wonderboy stood in Pettis‘ range the whole time

Chitaouri

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
it was so weird to watch. I was watching with my brother and told him right away that he is too close to pettis staying in his range in a unusual way. This is something wonderboy never has done before, he is always way on the outside, actually he may have been the best fighter to ever fight from the outside with his karate in and out style. It was weird to watch because he obviously had the reach advantage too and still stood in pettis‘ range with his hands down. It was just a matter of time for pettis to land that big right hand.

it was so weird to watch. I was watching with my brother and told him right away that he is too close to pettis staying in his range in a unusual way. This is something wonderboy never has done before, he is always way on the outside, actually he may have been the best fighter to ever fight from the outside with his karate in and out style. It was weird to watch because he obviously had the reach advantage too and still stood in pettis‘ range with his hands down. It was just a matter of time for pettis to land that big right hand.
Id say that is hindsight talk and not really giving Pettis the credit he deserves for kicking the legs and body of WB like crazy the whole fight.

its called over confidence...he was succeeding all throughout the fight until he wasnt.....he shoulda been more careful...he could have won if he was.

Comfort. I done it once. Realized the guy couldn't hurt me with his punches. So started shortcutting my defense to save stamina. He hit me with a body shot that almost took me out. But like a man, i rose to my feet and hit the ref back

It wasn't entirely Wonderboy doing that - Pettis put a lot of pressure on him and kept forcing his way inside.

Bro... he was winning the whole fight! Till he got Ko'd ... that means something Sherdog!

You also have to consider that pressuring Pettis is considered a route to victory. Maybe he didn't want to give Pettis any space + he felt he couldn't be hurt.

not really...
he only did that when pettis was standing against the cage
otherwise wonderboy was pretty much dancing around him the whole time which is why he had success.
I had a feeling pettis would use that Tyron technique at one point as it makes for a very predictable wonderboy.
If you throw a strike while youre back is against the cage, Wonderboy is only going to go backwards and not cut off at an angle.

He probably felt like he had a size and power advantage over Pettis, and didn't have the kind of kicking advantage that he'd have over other opponents. But that's completely speculative on my part. Definitely a sloppy moment at the end. I didn't see the fight live, so I'll have to wait for it to show up in a non-subscription format before assessing the whole thing.

There were two factors. Pettis was constantly advancing to stay within range and Wonderboy was fighting more aggressively, likely as a reaction to the criticism of his past few fights.

My gf was watching with me. She said to me... "why are his hands so low?"

Then he gets superman punched and knocked the fuck out.

God damn that was hard to watch :*(

He probably felt like he had a size and power advantage over Pettis, and didn't have the kind of kicking advantage that he'd have over other opponents. But that's completely speculative on my part. Definitely a sloppy moment at the end. I didn't see the fight live, so I'll have to wait for it to show up in a non-subscription format before assessing the whole thing.

Pettis was working a perfect gameplan. He was busted up by Wonderboy's jab but his leg kicks and body kicks were wearing Wonderboy down and slowing/limiting his movement. Wonderboy was more concerned about Pettis' kicks at that point and that's exactly what Pettis game planned. He came forward the whole time then set up the counter by backing up against the fence, giving Wonderboy a false sense of security, and we all know the rest.

Pettis had also landed that right hand a few times so he was starting to find his range.

Wonderboy didn't feel threatened I feel, then bam!! I mean, when has Pettis ever showed power in his hands?

Pettis was working a perfect gameplan. He was busted up by Wonderboy's jab but his leg kicks and body kicks were wearing Wonderboy down and slowing/limiting his movement. Wonderboy was more concerned about Pettis' kicks at that point and that's exactly what Pettis game planned. He came forward the whole time then set up the counter by backing up against the fence, giving Wonderboy a false sense of security, and we all know the rest.

Pettis had also landed that right hand a few times so he was starting to find his range.

Pettis is a brilliant and talented fighter, and he looked good, offensively, against Ferguson, so I wasn't completely shocked by this.

This, wonderful reply, and great eye. This man knows how to watch a damn fight. This was a clinic

Watch it again, but watch Pettis’s movements this time..... Pettis was more crafty than he at first appears...... He looks to be plodding/stalking, but his kicks and body shots were all with an intent to also cut lateral movement by WB....

It was really effective too.... WB was winning the rounds. But Pettis landed 35 strikes on WB, all standing, which NOBODY, has ever done before.....

Pettis gets big credit from me for having a great plan, enduring some punishment to get position, and not being undisciplined in his exchanges.

Back