Apparently, power beats speed

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Everyone said that Thompson's reflexes and ability to roll with punches would make Pettis look like a fool.

And yes, he saw that superman punch coming too. For sure adjusted his body/head for a lesser impact like usual. However, I don't think he knew Pettis' power can put you out anyway.

You could tell how he felt confident in letting Pettis throw "desperate" shots, as if his own technique would make Pettis gas over time. Probably an old habit from fighting other WW's. I feel like he's been allowed to lean on speed to the point where power no longer mattered.

Sometimes it's good to not be this confident in yourself. Believe it or not.

Thompson was out there to clown Pettis, got cocky, and paid the price.

That's all there is to it.

Anderson showed us that..

silva.gif

I'm curious as to when this WASN'T true, and when it was disputed.

Game changing KO power has always been an intangible that has been taken into consideration for EVERY fight where someone has that kind of KO power.

People don't rule out fighters like Ngannou for no reason, he might be green compared to most of the top 10, and one dimensional, but everyone including his opponents know, he just needs one punch.

I feel like speed is preferred, but Power is what most people really want, and when fighters don't have power, they rely on speed and technique.

I think Wonderboy miscalculated the distance. The same way Anderson Silva did in the first Weidman fight.

Their (Silva and Thompson) ideas of defense is to get away and into a position that allows them to land their own counters. When it works, it is beautiful. When it doesn't work, it can be devastating.

Wonderboy didn't account for the fence, which allowed Pettis to cover a lot more distance more quickly. Hence, his chin was left exposed within KO distance.

Everyone said that Thompson's reflexes and ability to roll with punches would make Pettis look like a fool.

And yes, he saw that superman punch coming too. For sure adjusted his body/head for a lesser impact like usual. However, I don't think he knew Pettis' power can put you out anyway.

You could tell how he felt confident in letting Pettis throw "desperate" shots, as if his own technique would make Pettis gas over time. Probably an old habit from fighting other WW's. I feel like he's been allowed to lean on speed to the point where power no longer mattered.

Timing beats speed. Pettis timed the shot perfectly.

duke wanted pettis to take this fight for a reason, this is his thing, striking style vs striking style. look at the leg kicks and how pettis blocks wb's kicks. This was part of his game plan. wonderboy looked like he was winning but it was obvious pettis was putting in some good damage on his legs

Wonderboy wasnt really himself... looked like he wanted to finish Pettis early rather than his point scoring/break em down ways that sometimes lead to a ko/tko.

Prob thought of Pettis as easy prey

duke wanted pettis to take this fight for a reason, this is his thing, striking style vs striking style. look at the leg kicks and how pettis blocks wb's kicks. This was part of his game plan. wonderboy looked like he was winning but it was obvious pettis was putting in some good damage on his legs
I got this same vibe. You've seen in plenty of Pettis fights when he wants out is frustrated or done. He seemed patient here, stuck to his gameplan, and waited for an opening. I like how he never moved away from the leg kicks.

Wonderboy wasnt really himself... looked like he wanted to finish Pettis early rather than his point scoring/break em down ways that sometimes lead to a ko/tko.

Prob thought of Pettis as easy pray

Prey.

Ts, i would rather say timing and precision are the best. Conor is a one dimensional fighter with one fucking move and got where he is. You need both power and speed.

I got this same vibe. You've seen in plenty of Pettis fights when he wants out is frustrated or done. He seemed patient here, stuck to his gameplan, and waited for an opening. I like how he never moved away from the leg kicks.

yeah this was one of those figths that likely brought out a lot of passion in duke and that rubs off on pettis. He went into the fight patient and confident because he trusts duke when it comes to a fight like this more than anything.

The two are linked to one another.

This is why Khabib beat Conor.

Power and speed advantage.

It thought it looked like Thompson wasn’t expecting the superman punch off the fence and was bracing for that initial left, when it was really just a setup for the right.

Speed had everything to do with Pettis' KO. As Wonderboy said later, it was a Ninja move. Wonderboy never saw it coming.

Back