Your favorite fighter retired? Now what?!

Druken_Vovchanchyn

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
In the nfl,or any team sport, you root for the team. Stars come and go but your fandom stays the same for that team. In MMA our favorites retire and there is quite a void left behind. If you are relatively new to mma, than most likely you have not experienced this yet.

It’s kind of cool though because realizing you like a fighter(or how much) can be fun. Often times it’s an emotional reaction to something in the cage. Some of my original favorites are guys like Igor,rampage,Hughes and there’s others...but they are gone.

Don’t get me wrong I still have some old school favorites left(Robbie Anderson and others),and I do have current favorites but it goes from one guy to maybe a group of guys.

So what happens next is odd, and hard to explain. You are often late to the hype train on guys because you were busy being a fan of whoever it may be. I will try to give you an example.

For me it was Max Holloway. I always “liked” him. He’s a fighters fighter, and kind of a throw back in a lot of ways. When he first fought Conor I was indifferent, or even rooting for conor, but not a huge fan of either guy. As time went on, max developed and It started with me not wanting to miss a fight of his. To Then suddenly I found my self pulling for him vs aldo in my heart, and I’m a fucking aldo fan. That shit can make you feel kind of like a casual because you change your stance durring a fight or the build up.
That day I realized he’s one of my new favorites,but I still didn’t grasp how much that was the case. Fight day vs Ortega I woke up and it clicked to me for some reason. “He’s going to fucking destroy slow,plodding Ortega” so I dropped a bet on max to win by tko.Fight night comes and my legs are flooded with adrenaline durring buffers introductions. Even before the end of round 1 I said out loud.. “holy shit max is my favorite fighter”! So watching that fight was amazing for me, what a performance.

He gave me “the feels” like when
Matt Hughes survived bj’s triangle in the rematch.
Rampage vs wand 3
Silva vs Belfort.

So I guess after that long,stoned rambling rant, my questions are..Do you older mma fans find it odd transitioning from the old guard to the new? Do you have a group of guys, or any one in particular? Do you haven any similar stories where you realize you are a die hard fan of a fighter?

Nothing will ever be like fedors reign,but theres still so much excitement to be had. Im more a fan of the sport than just one person,in the end.

For me, it's not the same anymore. The sport has changed, the 'fighters' have changed. All in a bad way. It not about bushido, honor and competition anymore but strictly about the money, it's a sad development.
100(58).gif

In the nfl,or any team sport, you root for the team. Stars come and go but your fandom stays the same for that team. In MMA our favorites retire and there is quite a void left behind. If you are relatively new to mma, than most likely you have not experienced this yet.

It’s kind of cool though because realizing you like a fighter(or how much) can be fun. Often times it’s an emotional reaction to something in the cage. Some of my original favorites are guys like Igor,rampage,Hughes and there’s others...but they are gone.

Don’t get me wrong I still have some old school favorites left(Robbie Anderson and others),and I do have current favorites but it goes from one guy to maybe a group of guys.

So what happens next is odd, and hard to explain. You are often late to the hype train on guys because you were busy being a fan of whoever it may be. I will try to give you an example.

For me it was Max Holloway. I always “liked” him. He’s a fighters fighter, and kind of a throw back in a lot of ways. When he first fought Conor I was indifferent, or even rooting for conor, but not a huge fan of either guy. As time went on, max developed and It started with me not wanting to miss a fight of his. To Then suddenly I found my self pulling for him vs aldo in my heart, and I’m a fucking aldo fan. That shit can make you feel kind of like a casual because you change your stance durring a fight or the build up.
That day I realized he’s one of my new favorites,but I still didn’t grasp how much that was the case. Fight day vs Ortega I woke up and it clicked to me for some reason. “He’s going to fucking destroy slow,plodding Ortega” so I dropped a bet on max to win by tko.Fight night comes and my legs are flooded with adrenaline durring buffers introductions. Even before the end of round 1 I said out loud.. “holy shit max is my favorite fighter”! So watching that fight was amazing for me, what a performance.

He gave me “the feels” like when
Matt Hughes survived bj’s triangle in the rematch.
Rampage vs wand 3
Silva vs Belfort.

So I guess after that long,stoned rambling rant, my questions are..Do you older mma fans find it odd transitioning from the old guard to the new? Do you have a group of guys, or any one in particular? Do you haven any similar stories where you realize you are a die hard fan of a fighter?
how about favorite retired fighter?

I was always a fan of wanderleis style but i always felt its possible to beat him. When rampage challenged him for thr 2nd time i thought this is it,hes gonna fuckin do it. Thats where my emotional investment was.When he went down in flames to the awesome might of wanderlei,wand became a legend to me. I couldnt deny that its just extremely difficult to beat him back then and thats why no one could do it.

Once Max Holloway retires I can happily walk away from the sport knowing I got the pleasure to live in and witness The Blessed Era.

Holloway Bless.

Last edited:
you find a new favorite fighter. Duh.
I mean I loved me some Jake Delhomme but guess what? When Cam Newton came along I forgot all about Jake!

Go back, enjoy the old fights, and keep the legend alive.

i mean i have multiple favourites, and theres always room for new guys.

i didn't find it weird when past favourites retired especially when they had a long successful career, i'm always becoming fans of new guys.

Realising that fighters can just give up a submission when they want out, or just lay n pray a victory changed the way I looked at MMA.

I like the sport more than any individual fighter. That being said, I’ll be bummed when Aldo leaves his gloves on the mat. GSP was another favorite but I didn’t really give a shit when he hung em up the first time, mostly because I knew he got his ass beat and maybe it was time to go before he starts getting knocked the fuck out by the new breeds. I wish Wanderlei would’ve retired after the Stann fight. Very exciting fight, in Japan. Would’ve been poetry.

There was a post about 5 years ago on how some of us are going to sound like old guys talking about the past guard.....

I guess that time is now.

Even though there is fantastic new talent, I haven't transitioned well, at all.

About 95% of my favorites are from the old guard and it's good to see a lot of them are doing bad ass.

That's an intrinsic beauty about the sport is that there is only one of every fighter and when they're gone, that's it.

Hampage said "Y'all gone miss me when I'm gone:" and it was funny because there was some truth behind it.

I had a slump when the Anderson/GSP/Fedor-era ended, but now I'm starting to become interested again. The inclusion of FW, BW and FlW turned out to be amazing, especially BW and FW are shark tanks.

As far as my favorite fighters...I fucking wish they would retire already.

My problem is that my favorite fighter ‘BJ Penn’ refused to retired

Your favorite fighter went to Bellator? Now what?!

Still searching...

Big Nog was my man. Loved him.

I also loved GSP.

I don’t get the feeling from any of the guys now. There is no Chuck, Tito, Wanderlei, Fedor

There isn’t a guy that I can’t wait to see fight.

Back