Knockout power or weak chin?

PrideJitZoo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When someone gets knocked out how do we know if it’s because of knockout power or because of a weak chin? Like which came first? The egg or the chicken?

{<huh}

If someones chin has declined, it's due to chin declining. But if someone has legit power, due to KO power.

By the punch itself you'll know all you need to know.

Rashad > Liddell = BOMB
Bader > Fedor = CHIN

Thing is, KO Power is often times an overused term and gets thrown around a lot. Some guys just have good timing and if something lands clean , it can sleep you. REAL 1 PUNCH KO POWER isn't as prominent as its mentioned.

If you fall from a single shot by a Diaz, it’s probably weak chin syndrome

When someone gets knocked out how do we know if it’s because of knockout power or because of a weak chin? Like which came first? The egg or the chicken?

{<huh}
Well when a guy has a history of knocking guys dead ala Rumble/ Francis it's pretty safe to assume they have KO power.

When a guy has a history of getting KOed its safe to assume they have a suspect chin.

There is also a grey area though. It really doesn't take a whole lot of pressure to turn the lights out when you hit someone off balance or with a shot they don't see coming in which case it can be none of the above and just a perfect punch at the perfect time.

Anyone that taps to a 115lb girl has nothing to be proud of #NoPrideJitZoo

Chin is kind of a myth since the majority of people can be KOd or at least stunned with a surprisingly little amount of force applied to the right spot. Chin could be termed as the ability to notice and brace for a shot or the ability to minimize impact by moving with a shot, aka rolling with the punches. Everyone over lets say 180lbs, fairly fit, is capable of KOing just about anyone else on the planet.

There are definitely some huge necked thick skulled MFers with tight packed brains out there, that just wont be KOd even by a surprise shot and Id call them the freakiest of the physical freaks.

We don't know immediately how good someone's chin is. We base our opinions on several different knockouts/survivals.

5_Anthony_Johnson_vs._D.J._Linderman_2.gif

Knockout power

92vpvddqsf021.gif

Weak chin

Last edited:
There have actually been studies done on this. I couldn't find the exact one I was looking for, but there's this:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a6372/boxing-knockout-sports-science/

It's a bit of a read but basically it's saying that the brain shuts down when it deems the body has taken too much damage in an effort to conserve energy for breathing.

The article I was looking for talked about the muscles in the neck compared to the force of the blow to the head. I liked that one and I'll post it if I can find it.

Pretty easy to tell just by watching and not being a complete muppet

There have actually been studies done on this. I couldn't find the exact one I was looking for, but there's this:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a6372/boxing-knockout-sports-science/

It's a bit of a read but basically it's saying that the brain shuts down when it deems the body has taken too much damage in an effort to conserve energy for breathing.

The article I was looking for talked about the muscles in the neck compared to the force of the blow to the head. I liked that one and I'll post it if I can find it.

Makes a lot of sense that cardio based fighters get knocked out a lot less often

Back