MMA rules favors strikers not wrestlers/grapplers. Prides ring favors wrestlers not strikers.

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've heard people say that UFC's rules favor wrestlers but the reality is that MMA's rules heavily favor strikers

The fact that the fight starts on the feet at the start of each round is a joke. The fight should start where it ended the previous round.If the fight ended clinched against the cage it should restart there if it ended with one opponent in full mount it should restart there.

We always see fans say that MMA isn't realistic because knees to grounded opponents and soccer kicks are illegal but we all completely ignore the fact that a grappler could have earned a dominant position and lose it only because the round ends.

Think how careers would have changed if that simple rule was in place. Think how many grapplers were screwed over based on one rule.

Anderson is one of my favorite fighters but if I recall he got up a grand total of 0 times against Chael in both fights. Chael had full mount in the 2nd fight and lost that position in round 2. Conor got up 0 times against Khabib on his own.

The cage favors strikers
Regarding the cage if heavily favors strikers not grapplers. Fighters on bottom use the cage to push off of with their feet to create scrambles, thus an opportunity to get up. In a ring an elite wrestler can just maintain top position and a striker has no cage to wall walk on or no cage to create a scramble with.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

It's all rigged, Sherbro. Remember that.

Rules do not favor wrestlers. When is the last time someone was running away (sorry I mean resetting) or two guys just endlessly circling staring at each other and the ref stopped the fight and put them on the ground?

This is stupid.

MMA isn’t about smothering your opponent forever.

You’re supposed to take your opponent down and submit them or beat their ass.

Blanketing should be discouraged not rewarded.

What was Arona vs Fedor? Definitely didnt fav non strikers.

I thought you would present a nice argument with statistics and facts and shit

Without people training BJJ and wrestling, as well as rounds, and stand-ups, striking would be mostly irrelevant, unless fighters agreed to stay standing.

MMA is a grappler's game. The rules have had to handicap it to make strikers relevant.

Like virtually everything that goes mainstream, it got watered down to please the masses.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages. The cage allows a lot more movement for strikers but grapplers can use it to help keep their opponents trapped both on the ground and feet(hence a lot more clinch work in the cage). The ring has corners that allow for trapping your opponent for devastating strikes and getting your opponent down.
Overall the cage is used way more by grapplers to their advantage.

We always hear people say that MMA isn't realistic because of knees to grounded opponents and soccer kicks are illegal but we all completely ignore the fact that a grappler could have earned a dominant position and lose it only because the round ends.

That's silly. MMA isn't supposed to be realistic. It's a goddam sport with rules.

If you really want to make it more realistic you don't have to change any rules. Just change the flooring in the octagon to tarmac/asphalt/concrete and see how many people would like to take the fight to the ground.

Parking-Lot-Gif.gif

Rules do not favor wrestlers. When is the last time someone was running away (sorry I mean resetting) or two guys just endlessly circling staring at each other and the ref stopped the fight and put them on the ground?
Accurate

Rules help strikers.

The cage favors wrestlers.

Gloves make getting submissions tricky btw.

This is stupid.

MMA isn’t about smothering your opponent forever.

You’re supposed to take your opponent down and submit them or beat their ass.

Blanketing should be discouraged not rewarded.
While I do agree with you we need to mention point fighting striking. The most boring fights happen between 2 high level strikers.

So TS is going to ignore the overwhelming advantage Pride's allowance for knees to the head of grounded opponents and soccer kicks made to strikers, just to prove a new point?

The cage favours grapplers, too.

The only difference is that UFC features predominantly American fighters, where wrestling is the base pedigree and Japan has more traditional MAs.

Wrestlers can use the cage much much more than a ring.

can't kick/knee guys on the ground. it favors wrestlers.

Without people training BJJ and wrestling, as well as rounds, and stand-ups, striking would be mostly irrelevant, unless fighters agreed to stay standing.

MMA is a grappler's game. The rules have had to handicap it to make strikers relevant.

Like virtually everything that goes mainstream, it got watered down to please the masses.
It's funny, I never once walked out to a Wrestling match thinking "shit, I'm about to get in a fight and this might really hurt". For some reason that thought was in my head every time I walked out to Box though, it's almost like knowing I was going to get punched in the head by someone trying to kill me made it feel more like a fight with much higher stakes.

That might have just been me though, I'm weird like that.

Back