Media Reflecting on the epic Lesnar vs Mir rivalry

Martialarts123

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

These two fights brought so much hype. Were you a fan of this rivalry?

The kids today will shit on it but at the time it was truly special. ESPECIALLY all the funny mir memes and videos that were launched from those 2 fights

Mir has never been the same since the removal of the horseshoe...

In retrospect the 2nd fight was not that great.

The first was also kind of funky.

best post fight speech ever was delivered that night at ufc 100.

brock saying fuck you to budd light and telling the crowd he was gonna get on top off his wife that night.

epic rivalry.

Mir vs Lazer 1 is to this day my favorite fight. Everyone counted Mir out of that fight, as Bork was smashing everyone in his path. Mir''s dad showed him a picture of his daughter right before the fight started, and said "this is what your fighting for!" Most touching moment I've ever seen in the octagon.

Last edited:
My memory of the 2nd fight is Mir having a mini-comeback in R2, landing some punches and a flying knee, only to have Brock take him down and maul him.

VK7HY23.gif

I wanted Lesnar to win as a Frank Mir fan :p

That video doesn't have one clip or pic from their fights...

l0ErIuR4eo0NWwCJ2.gif

The first fight was fascinating stuff at the time because people legitimately didn't know how it was going to go down. Your brain told you Mir had to win because of Lesnar's inexperience but there was a huge creeping doubt about Lesnar.

This actually reminded of my thoughts as a kid when I saw Kimo walking out to fight Royce.

I just remember wanting Mir to teach Brawk a lesson for having the temerity to attempt to engage in a real MMA fight. There were many on Sherdog who were right there with me.

The biggest takeaway from the second fight is that with all Brock's power and strength and all his repeated lunch boxes to Frank's face he could not make Mir tap to his strikes.

Whereas Javy Ayala did.

Ayala > Lesnar

Mir talked so much shit leading up to the second fight. Brock learned. And Mir got fuckin brutalized.

When Brock had Mirs back in the first fight and spun to his opposite side like a cartwheel on the ground I was impressed.

How is this big bastard that quick is all I was thinking. Took until the Cain fight to believe he was vulnerable. Damn shame he got sick and everything but whatever. Fun guy to watch.

I really wanted Brock to get embarrassed and go away. The wave of unwanted WWE fans that stormed sherdog was hard to deal with. Sadly, many of them remain to this day, but have shifted focus to Conor.

My memory of the 2nd fight is Mir having a mini-comeback in R2, landing some punches and a flying knee, only to have Brock take him down and maul him.
Also Brock walks back and allowing Mir stand up once, not sure what was that all about, is it because of the booing from the crowd?

I'm just really curious of why he did that, he already overpowering Mir during the first round where Mir could barely do anything off his back, so it doesn't look like he was intimidated by Mir's ground game as he got past his guard effortlessly.

Mir vs Lazer 1 is to this day my favorite fight. Everyone counted Mir out of that fight, as Bork was smashing everyone in his path. Mir''s dad showed him a picture of his daughter right before the fight started, and said "this is what your fighting for!" Mos touching moment I've ever seen in the octagon.

I see what you’re saying, but Brock was only 1-0 before the first Mir fight. The potential was widely recognized, however, so I see what you mean.

Also Brock walks back and allowing Mir stand up once, not sure what was that all about, is it because of the booing from the crowd?

I'm just really curious of why he did that, he already overpowering Mir during the first round where Mir could barely do anything off his back, so it doesn't look like he was intimidated by Mir's ground game as he got past his guard effortlessly.
You think Brock wanted to showcase whatever stand up skills he had at the time?

Mir vs Lazer 1 is to this day my favorite fight. Everyone counted Mir out of that fight, as Bork was smashing everyone in his path. Mir''s dad showed him a picture of his daughter right before the fight started, and said "this is what your fighting for!" Mos touching moment I've ever seen in the octagon.
W.t.f you talking about? Brock had smashed ONE guy before Mir. Everyone predicted Mir would win by submission or Brock would gas and lose by decision.

It was a great rivalry. I'm still convinced we will see part 3 at some point.

Back