Should USADA/UFC just ban supplements?

welcometohavoc

Yellow Card
Yellow Card
Reaction score
Supplements are basically just weaker versions of the same stuff USADA already bans (diuretics/steroids) Whether its muscle gain supplements or weight loss supplements, fighters use them for the same reason they use PED's, to gain a physical advantage over their opponent with minimal effort

And since tainted supplements are such a popular excuse whenever someone fails a drug test, it makes sense to just ban them outright and leave all doubt aside.

Is Reebok in the supplement buisness? if not now may be a good time to get on board and corner the market..

TJ didn't get popped for his supplements. He was popped for his "supplements of the injectable variety"

Just about every athlete in the world, in every professional sport of consequence, takes supplements. I don't think we wanna see this sport without them.

I don't think banning helps but surely by now the UFC could have their own branded supps so if/when something goes wrong they can have the case dealt with instantly. I think they are joined with MusclePharm or something yeah? Might be a whole lot of legal shit to get through if they monopolise the brand of supplements the fighters can use.

Supplements are basically just weaker versions of the same stuff USADA already bans (diuretics/steroids) Whether its muscle gain supplements or weight loss supplements, fighters use them for the same reason they use PED's, to gain a physical advantage over their opponent with minimal effort

And since tainted supplements are such a popular excuse whenever someone fails a drug test, it makes sense to just ban them outright and leave all doubt aside.

No

Because there are countless supplements out there that have been third party tested by groups like NFS or Informed-Choice and certified free of prohiobited substances.

And the UFC regularly remind their athletes to only use third party tested supplements.

Nobody has EVER tested positive as a result of third party tested supplements, EVER

No

Because there are countless supplements out there that have been third party tested by groups like NFS or Informed-Choice and certified free of prohiobited substances.

And the UFC regularly remind their athletes to only use third party tested supplements.

Nobody has EVER tested positive as a result of third party tested supplements, EVER

And how would they enforce any ban too, what would they even test for?
Extra vitamin c - you've been on the Berocca - 1 year ban.

If a failed test is caused by a supplement that was correctly reported in the testing forms, then it's not that hard to prove it. If not, it's just an excuse for intentional cheating.

Weight loss pills? Usually caffeine. Weight gainers? Grounded bull testicles.

I mean most of the supplements worth anything are banned to some extent. Just don't allow them unless it's Vitamin D approved by your doctor.

No

You didn't address the point that supplements are just weaker versions of illegal PED's.

It would be more efficient to just ban them all

TJ didn't get popped for his supplements. He was popped for his "supplements of the injectable variety"
'

LMAO. I clicked on this thread and couldn't figure out wtf does TJ have to do with this. I then click to the main page and get my answer.

You didn't address the point that supplements are just weaker versions of illegal PED's.

It would be more efficient to just ban them all

water is a weaker version of ped's, oxygen is a weaker version of ped's, do you want to ban those as well? (actually could be argued Oxygen is the strongest of all ped's, without that we are kinda fucked)

B12 improves performance, Iron can improve performance, I take both of those for a medical issue, do you want to ban those as well? Or should I have to get a TUE for vitamin B?

the problem isnt athletes taking supplements, thats really not an issue. The issue is athletes taking dumb supplements that arent third party certified, that have obvious warning flags, and then being surprised when they test positive.

The things is, the fighters can obtain supplements through the UFCPI. That would make the most sense. The problem is these low rent supplement companies pumping bad shit into their stuff and then sponsoring the fighters. It's a situation where the fighters have an avenue to obtain legit supplements with extremely low risk of pissing hot, but, more than likely, the allure of more money prevents them from making a smart decision.

water is a weaker version of ped's, oxygen is a weaker version of ped's, do you want to ban those as well?

B12 improves performance, Iron can improve performance, I take both of those for a medical issue, do you want to ban those as well? Or should I have to get a TUE for vitamin B?

the problem isnt athletes taking supplements, thats really not an issue. The issue is athletes taking dumb supplements that arent third party certified, that have obvious warning flags, and then being surprised when they test positive.

All the things you mentioned are naturally produced AND required by the human body and acquired by simply doing basic human bodily functions (breathing, eating)

Very few supplements are worth are completely natural.

Supplements aren't weaker versions of steroids.....steroids work better than food, supplements don't. Don't compare the two lol

All the things you mentioned are naturally produced AND required by the human body and acquired by simply doing basic human bodily functions (breathing, eating)

Very few supplements are worth are completely natural.

just because they are naturally produced doesnt mean that you naturally get enough of them

As I stated with B12 and Iron, I need to supplement both because I am deficient in both and my body is unable to get the levels it needs from diet alone

There are plenty of reasons to use supplements, and there really is no issue with using supplements

the only issue, is for sportspeople to use stupid supplements that are not third party certified and have obvious warning signs.

No

Man this is the fucking truth. There is a massive list of approved supplements. Fighters using others are doing it for sponsorship money because its free or using a non tested supplement because it will give them some “hidden boost”

The tainted supplement excuse is even more bullshit than it seems on the surface.

If by ban supplements, you mean legalize steroids, then yes.

Back