Max vs Dustin Winner Gets Passed Up Conor

SpongeJoshSquareCheck

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mark my words this fight is to distract the audience from the clusterfuck that's happening right now and Dana has no plans of letting these guys fight for the belt. Max is FW Champ and Dustin doesn't sell. The only real contender in the division as far as Dana is concerned is Conor and he'll get a TS for beating journeyman s rub Cerrone no matter how good either Max or Dustin looks. Interim belts mean nothing, the last 2 guys to win one, Tony and Colby got 0 for it. Khabib also won't fight twice in the span of this year since he's coming back in November and Dana wants the dreaded rematch to happen this year. In short fuck Interim Belts and Fuck Dana

You're always asking for your words to be marked.

I agree 100%. This will be the 3rd interim belt in a row that the UFC completely disrespected.

Honestly, one of these fighters should sue the UFC. To me, an interim belt represents a legal obligation to unify the titles. Not allowing an interim champion to unify the belt against the champion, passing them up, and then stripping their title is a loss of earning potential.

giphy.gif

Actually they'll get passed up by GSP. Mystic Lockard predicts that GSP will be the first in line to challenge Khabib in November when Khabib returns. As for Conor, I see him fighting Nate Diaz after whoever he fights next (which will hopefully be Tony.)

I agree 100%. This will be the 3rd interim belt in a row that the UFC completely disrespected.

Honestly, one of these fighters should sue the UFC. To me, an interim belt represents a legal obligation to unify the titles. Not allowing an interim champion to unify the belt against the champion, passing them up, and then stripping their title is a loss of earning potential.
when has this EVER happened? Don't mention times unification bouts DIDN'T happen. mention a time where the UFC would not LET it happen.

Money > Interim > Top Contender...

Your first mistake is assuming that Conor is going to beat Cowboy.

If Cowboy actually wants to win this fight he will. As long as he doesn't pull an Eddie and abandon the obvious gameplan

when has this EVER happened? Don't mention times unification bouts DIDN'T happen. mention a time where the UFC would not LET it happen.
I'm a little confused by your post? I'm assuming you mean when did unification bouts actually happen?

Before Ferguson/Covington, the UFC had a pretty good track record with interim titles. Some examples:
-Chuck fought Randy for the 205 interim title, and Randy unified the Title against Tito Ortiz
-Arlovski fought Syvlia for the HW interim when Frank Mir was injured, and was later promoted to full champ
-GSP fought Hughes for the 170 interim, and unified the title with Serra
-Condit beat Diaz to win the 170 interim, and unified with GSP
-Barao won the 135 interim and was promoted to full champ when Cruz couldn't fight
-Conor won the 145 interim and unified against Aldo
-Whittaker won the 185 interim against Romero, and was promoted to full champ when GSP vacated

The first time the UFC disrespected an interim title (to my knowledge): 'Minotauro' Nogueira fought Sylvia to win the HW interim title when Randy Couture was in dispute with the UFC. He then defended the interim against Frank Mir, losing it. Frank Mir then defended the interim against Carwin, losing it. And Carwin finally unified the HW title, losing to Brock Lesnar after the UFC let Lesnar fight Couture for the HW title.

But even in the above example, the UFC eventually unified the titles. Basically, the UFC always kept a championship around when they created it. If necessary, they would just have two simultaneous championships in a division until the titles were unified.

Covington and Ferguson represent a fundamental departure from the UFC's previous philosophy on interim titles. Rather than keep those titles active until unification, even in parallel to the undisputed championship, the UFC have decided to simply strip interim champions at will. To me, this is unacceptable.

Honestly, one of these fighters should sue the UFC. To me, an interim belt represents a legal obligation to unify the titles.
I get what you're saying, and I agree with you in principle, but their contracts must not state that or it already would have happened.

I disagree
I think it’s more likely the Dustin max winner fights McGregor cowboy winner, the winner of that fights Khabib. Not sure where Ferguson fits but he should fight AL to cement his place

I get what you're saying, and I agree with you in principle, but their contracts must not state that or it already would have happened.
I mean, we would be in precedent territory, so what the contracts state would be meaningless.

What would matter would be history of interim titles in the UFC. If none of the previous interim champions were stripped within 12 months, then you'd have a case.

The Max/Poirier winner will break their hand & won't be able to fight until winter. Then the UFC will be in desperate need of a main event for September so they'll use Khabib. And when the Interim champ can't go yet theyll get stripped and Conor will slide in after beating #9 Cowboy.

The first time the UFC disrespected an interim title (to my knowledge): 'Minotauro' Nogueira fought Sylvia to win the HW interim title when Randy Couture was in dispute with the UFC. He then defended the interim against Frank Mir, losing it. Frank Mir then defended the interim against Carwin, losing it. And Carwin finally unified the HW title, losing to Brock Lesnar after the UFC let Lesnar fight Couture for the HW title.

But even in the above example, the UFC eventually unified the titles. Basically, the UFC always kept a championship around when they created it. If necessary, they would just have two simultaneous championships in a division until the titles were unified.

Covington and Ferguson represent a fundamental departure from the UFC's previous philosophy on interim titles. Rather than keep those titles active until unification, even in parallel to the undisputed championship, the UFC have decided to simply strip interim champions at will. To me, this is unacceptable.

I'm not sure what part of my post you didn't understand. you specifically used the term ALLOWED. When was a fighter not allowed to unify the title?

Tony situation is completely different. he was more than "allowed" to compete for the ufc title as an interim title holder, he pulled out on 8 days notice. tony had NO chance to unify the title. there was no lw champion, the LW title at the time was vacant. Khabib and AL fought for the LW title, there was no longer a need for an interim title because there was a fighting LW champion. I don't want to hear that that match up shouldn't have been made, Tony was booked to unify and pulled out.

On to colby, I'll admit this one is for sure the strangest, but colby and woodley couldn't agree to a date and the fighting champion (woodley, at this time) was available to fight. Colby didn't want to. I'm not entirely sure what they should have done in this situation, I'll admit that till shouldn't have gotten the shot over colby but if the UFC needed a headliner and they had a willing champion should they not make the match up? or just put the whole thing on hiatus because the interim champion couldn't make the date?

I 100% agree with stripping Tony, Colby seems to have gone diva and wants to fight woodley on his own terms. not sure how they should have handled it, but personally i think colby was demanded to fight pretty quick after his 5 round fight with RDA

Back