Question for those who train: Is D'arce choke and Brabo choke exactly the same thing?

No, they're spelled different.

Same choke though.

In no gi, yes, they are the same thing. Though if we're being elitist, it should probably only be referred to as a d'arce in no gi.

Brabo is generally only used while in a gi when the lapel is looped around the back.

yeah just like keylock/americana and kimura/shoulder lock

Since we're on the topic, can a jiu jitsu guy tell us quick what the distinct difference is between the d'arce and a guillotine.

Is guillotine merely 1 arm around the throat with the 2nd arm locking up the choking arm, where as a d'arce has the 1 arm around the throat and opponents arm, with the 2nd arm coming under the arm pit for a "triangle" style choke where their own arm and rotation is doing the choking on one side.

That's my laymen understanding.

Since we're on the topic, can a jiu jitsu guy tell us quick what the distinct difference is between the d'arce and a guillotine.

Is guillotine merely 1 arm around the throat with the 2nd arm locking up the choking arm, where as a d'arce has the 1 arm around the throat and opponents arm, with the 2nd arm coming under the arm pit for a "triangle" style choke where their own arm and rotation is doing the choking on one side.

The angles are different, The way I wrap my arm around for the guilotine is different from Darce. The squeeze is slightly different as well.

The angles are different, The way I wrap my arm around for the guilotine is different from Darce. The squeeze is slightly different as well.
It sounds like you've been working on the intricacies of maneuvers that I haven't even begun to learn the names of.

;)

In no gi, yes, they are the same thing. Though if we're being elitist, it should probably only be referred to as a d'arce in no gi.

Brabo is generally only used while in a gi when the lapel is looped around the back.

exactly, when i think darce i think only the standard head and arm choke, but with brabo it could also describe a lot of offside gi chokes using that same angle to trap opponent's arm against his carotid

Darce is a figure four lock (outside arm going in; inside arm going out is anaconda), while (most) guillotines involve locking the hands near the front of their neck with various grips (such as butterfly, gable, reverse gable, three finger, s-grip, prayer/power assist, chinstrap, double chinstrap, handgun, assisted neckstrap, and so on).

The mechanism of attack are can be subtly different as well. The darce is typical of most 3/4 chokes in general (such as the arm triangle) in that they depend on constricting bloodflow to the head with your limb on one side of their neck, and pressing their shoulder/upper arm into the other. For guillotines, there are many variants of different chokes that tend to be referred too under the umbrella of 'guillotine choke', and several variants, especially arm-in variants, often involve more complex mechanics involving several factors at once in order to be able to encourage the opponent to give up; having elements of wind choke, blood choke, and spinal pressure at the same time.

Last edited:
My first academy we called an arm triangle a pillow choke and a darce a Shaolin pillow. Anaconda was still anaconda

you should start training, it's a fun and interesting sport
It's always been my hope. I do train stand up, it's merely time and money issue that keeps me from further pursuits like bjj.

If I had unlimited of each I'd love to train in numerous arts.

Some day I'll get in there

It's always been my hope. I do train stand up, it's merely time and money issue that keeps me from further pursuits like bjj.

If I had unlimited of each I'd love to train in numerous arts.

Some day I'll get in there

don't know where you train your standup or how skilled you are, but certainly many gyms these days have both a striking and grappling program under the same roof

i always get confused with the darce/brabo vs the anaconda

don't know where you train your standup or how skilled you are, but certainly many gyms these days have both a striking and grappling program under the same roof
This is a kung fu/san shou school, so there is takedown training, and some chinese variants on joint locking, but no official bjj.

Just waiting to win the power ball, then it'll be bjj in the mornings, san shou in the evening, with no job sucking upnall my precious time ;)

This is a kung fu/san shou school, so there is takedown training, and some chinese variants on joint locking, but no official bjj.

Just waiting to win the power ball, then it'll be bjj in the mornings, san shou in the evening, with no job sucking upnall my precious time ;)

kung fu/sanshou school??? and that's why you can't train BJJ or at an MMA school? :(:(:(

we use to call the brabo the gi version and d arce the no gi

Back