Were would u rank this generation of LHWs compared to the last?

Trillz

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
When Jon jones won the belt from:
Shogun, Machida, belfort, Rampage, Evans (wasnt all in their prime but still very dangerous)

How would they compare to todays prospect Lhw fighters?? Are they weaker or stronger?
Johnny Walker, Reyes, Thiago Santos, Ankaleav, oleksiejczuk

Jones beat all legends that you mentioned... but these prospect could be dangerous... Not sure any of the top 5-10 at 205 could hang with Page, Evans, Machida or 2011 Shogun...

The sports evolved. I loved Rampage in his early days but he'd have his hands full with the cans at LHW nowadays.

I think Tito Ortiz could be a top contender in the UFC today and get a shot at the title
It says a lot about the quality of the Ufc LHW division of today ...

LHW is great because it's the division with the least amount of traffic and congestion.

Equal opportunity Jon GOAT Jones will have none of that lightweight nonsense happening in his division.

The sports evolved. I loved Rampage in his early days but he'd have his hands full with the cans at LHW nowadays.

Rampage had really good hands, head movement, power and TDD to match. Boxing and wrestling has been around for decades and centuries. There is nothing that the guys bring today that wasn’t there in Rampage’s hay day.

Prime Rampage would’ve made short work of someone as stiff as Jan Blachowicz.

F. Fringe top 15-20 middleweights like Smith and Santos are dominating their top 5.

Rampage had really good hands, head movement, power and TDD to match. Boxing and wrestling has been around for decades and centuries. There is nothing that the guys bring today that wasn’t there in Rampage’s hay day.

Nah not a chance, prime rampage got good hands but that's pretty much it. He's very slow with his footwork and boxing, a good technical striker like Jan would've schooled any version of rampage

F. Fringe top 15-20 middleweights like Smith and Santos are dominating their top 5.

Volkan, a nobody from Bellator with no ground game, came in and absolutely demolished everyone on his way to a title shot.

Jones and DC are the only ones that can destroy the older generation. Gus and Rumble will come across some guys that gives them trouble. Really, Shogun was top 5 until recently. Think about that.

Don't forget about his pure old-school defense of blocking punches with his face. He had some good head movement at times but he loved to brawl more than anything.

The 2011 generation definitely wins.
The 2014-16 with Rumble, Gus, Bader, Davis and the fun journeymen in Te-Huna, Feijao.

I think Prime page has pretty enough boxing and power in his hands and good enough TDD to be a handful on any given night , his footwork was underrated when was on point.

Volkan, a nobody from Bellator with no ground game, came in and absolutely demolished everyone on his way to a title shot.

Jones and DC are the only ones that can destroy the older generation. Gus and Rumble will come across some guys that gives them trouble. Really, Shogun was top 5 until recently. Think about that.
This. Until his last fight Shogun was in the running for a title shot. You guys talking about how much the game has evolved are being silly when we literally have a shell of an old school fighter doing well

There obviously skilled but for some reason I just dont care for them.

This. Until his last fight Shogun was in the running for a title shot. You guys talking about how much the game has evolved are being silly when we literally have a shell of an old school fighter doing well
Recency bias. Gotta love it.

The current crop does poorly against the previous generation. Anyone with sufficient talent tries to cut to MW for a size advantage.

didn't shogun get subbed by forrest griffin? i don't think any of today's LHWs lose to forrest griffin

Not much better, to be honest. The LHW and HW divisions haven't evolve to much.

The sport has evolved. Training, diet, techniques, everything is better than 5 years ago. Sherdog told me so

Back