What if Tony gets to 20 in a row with no title shot?

ferrisjso

"Melodramatic" Historian
@Gold
Reaction score
9 more to go? What if Tony just never loses and never gets a title shot?

What happens?

They'll offer him an interim title fight vs Al.

Sounds like he was offered the interim and turned it down.
If that's true then he can't complain.

Won't happen. He's getting hurt in fights frequently now (against guys who aren't even the elite of the division) and he's far too inactive as it is to even reach that number of fights. He should have cashed in on a money fight while he could because he doesn't have much longer at the top IMHO

i think the ufc doesnt want to book conor for a belt coming off a loss. I think he turned it down to fight conor for big bucks then fight for the belt. this is all just IMO for sure though

At this rate I don't even think he'll see 20. He might actually take his business elsewhere if shit doesn't get better for him.

What more can you ask of a fighter in order to get a title shot, I don't understand The Red Goof sometimes. He can't really have expected Ferguson to be jumping for joy at another Interim Title.

At this rate I don't even think he'll see 20. He might actually take his business elsewhere if shit doesn't get better for him.

What more can you ask of a fighter in order to get a title shot, I don't understand The Red Goof sometimes. He can't really have expected Ferguson to be jumping for joy at another Interim Title.
Sure you've got a point about the validity of interim titles but if Khabib really does stay out until November there's a good chance the winner of the interim belt gets elevated and Khabib gets stripped. In fact I don't see why they don't strip Khabib the second after his suspension ends and he opts not to fight.

UFC_216_Ferguson_vs._Lee_Poster.jpg

Although interim, Ferguson did technically receive a title shot when he fought Lee at UFC 216. They stripped it from him after he got injured. And my guess is that he didn't want to fight for anything besides the undisputed belt, and I can't blame him based on what they did before.

He CAN complain. Why TF would he, or ANYONE, accept that fight? He was already the interim Champ and got passed over for Conor. He still fought and literally "defended" the interim title against Pettis...now he has to fight AGAIN for the interim title? Nope. I wouldn't have accepted that either.

They literally stripped him of the same belt. He's the #1 guy who already held the stupid interim belt.

He CAN complain. Why TF would he, or ANYONE, accept that fight? He was already the interim Champ and got passed over for Conor. He still fought and literally "defended" the interim title against Pettis...now he has to fight AGAIN for the interim title? Nope. I wouldn't have accepted that either.

So instead he takes no fight and doesn’t get paid? Doesn’t make much sense to me.

So instead he takes no fight and doesn’t get paid? Doesn’t make much sense to me.
Well, in the story on Sherdog announcing the Interim Title fight, it says Tony may be hinting at a fight against Conor. Personally, I think it makes more sense to lobby for fight against Conor than fight for a fake-ass Interim fight. Fighting Conor would be wayy more lucrative, while winning would also be much more of a guarantee that he'll get his title shot than winning the Interim title.

Doesn't mean this fight against Conor is happening, but I understand him wanting that fight over an Interim title fight.

Well, in the story on Sherdog announcing the Interim Title fight, it says Tony may be hinting at a fight against Conor. Personally, I think it makes more sense to lobby for fight against Conor than fight for a fake-ass Interim fight. Fighting Conor would be wayy more lucrative, while winning would also be much more of a guarantee that he'll get his title shot than winning the Interim title.

Doesn't mean this fight against Conor is happening, but I understand him wanting that fight over an Interim title fight.

Isn’t that just a rumor? But I agree. Fighting Conor has far greater rewards then max. Even if he loses he gets paid a nice penny.

Isn’t that just a rumor? But I agree. Fighting Conor has far greater rewards then max. Even if he loses he gets paid a nice penny.

Yeah, it is just a rumor. Tony seems to be asking for that fight but Conor, last I knew, is still fighting Cowboy. Maybe Cowboy gets injured and Tony steps in (as odd as that sounds).

Great, we are going to have 3 fighters all claiming to be the real champ again.

Back