So the reason GSP retired and wouldn't fight Khabib is because the UFC wasn't gonna pay him enough?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
As the title states, is the reason GSP retired and wouldn't fight Khabib because the UFC wouldn't pay him enough for it?

If GSP fought Khabib at a catchweight then it wouldn't risk Khabib's belt and there is no loss of respect for Khabib if he lost to GSP at a higher weight.

Last edited:
They refused to entertain it.
Too bad.
What an awesome fight that would have been.

No

The UFC have other plans for Khabib (like defending his belt) and didn't want to do the 160 catchweight fight Georges wanted.

WME hates money, but they love Anderson PPVs which draw 175,000 PPV buys.

A GSP PPV in Montreal drawing 1 million + PPVs isn't good business for the Baldfather.

nah this was a not worth the risk/reward for the compnay. GSP is a dangerous match up for khabib. Khabib just smashed conor they need his star power. Imagine giving up his aura one fight after the biggest fight of his life...AND THEN having GSP retire. It doesnt make sense

They know GSP would be able to beat Khabib comfortably and then retire, that leaves Khabib in a shit spot as champion.

Eh its not even logical to have GSP retire for the UFC, they just got rid of what could've eqauted to 10s-100s of millions in profit off any GSP fight

Both guys have talked about ending their careers, so they don't want one of them to run off after creating so much hype.

Both guys have talked about ending their careers, so they don't want one of them to run off after creating so much hype.

Honestly, even more reason to book the fight. Both guys have made it clear they have a couple fights left and that's it. The UFC can't keep them around long anyway. Might as well cash in a a huge money fight and book it.

Their. Not there.
Grappling is a huge part of mma, you find it boring then maybe look elsewhere.
I never said I find it boring, I also knew you were gonna correct me,
I’m just saying two guys who at best have a handful of entertaining fights putting on one of the greatest fights ever is very unlikely.
How many Khabib fights have you rewatched?
I’ve watched a few but none have you on the edge of your seat

I never said I find it boring, I also knew you were gonna correct me,
I’m just saying two guys who at best have a handful of entertaining fights putting on one of the greatest fights ever is very unlikely.
How many Khabib fights have you rewatched?
I’ve watched a few but none have you on the edge of your seat
Good for you!

They couldn't risk having their champ lose to a guy that will vacate. Once GSP wrecks Kebab and leaves they are left with a fake champ once Kebab wins the belt back.
Harder to sell Kebab as the best there is when he loses to a guy he won't be able to rematch.

No

The UFC have other plans for Khabib (like defending his belt) and didn't want to do the 160 catchweight fight Georges wanted.
Where did George ask for catchweight?

He wanted three belts, 55’,70’and 85.

Not some catchweight bs

WME hates money, but they love Anderson PPVs which draw 175,000 PPV buys.

A GSP PPV in Montreal drawing 1 million + PPVs isn't good business for the Baldfather.
Bullshit

He wanted to come in, cherry pick another title fight and retire with the belt, they learned their lesson from gifting him the Bisping fight and there is no reason to further log jam LW with this fight

Where did George ask for catchweight?

He wanted three belts, 55’,70’and 85.

Not some catchweight bs

I don't think he wanted that, but it's one of the things his management offered trying to get the fight.

As a gsp forever fan, I get why the UFC didn't do it. He would have beat khabib. And then retired. He kind of fucked them not fighting Robert if I'm just being honest.
Then again, they bend over for Conor and Jon, so I don't blame Georges.He literally fought the best for a decade, before the diva era.

I'm just bummed we don't get to see him fight anymore. Like him or not, he was very good for the sport.

Back