Which GSP Fight Was This?

Homervanderjaz

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
GSP won handily and the other fighter went up to him and said something along the lines of “you’re too good man”. Watched it a long time ago, before I regularly watched MMA and have no idea who this fight was with. Anyone remember? Want to rewatch it. Cheers

It was GSP vs Carl Weathers and the quote was "you're too good mother fucker"

That scenario could apply to at least 15 fights lol.

Just watched it after the suggestion it was Frank Trigg and indeed it was him. Cheers folks.

GSP won handily and the other fighter went up to him and said something along the lines of “you’re too good man”. Watched it a long time ago, before I regularly watched MMA and have no idea who this fight was with. Anyone remember? Want to rewatch it. Cheers
Trigg. He apologized for his pre-fight trash talk and told GSP "You're so good!". GSP literally beat an apology out of him.

Trigg was kinda of a dick, but also kind of cool.

He was great back on the Ryan Bennett podcast a million years ago. Did not give a fuck.

Koscheck tells a funny story. I forget what it was exactly. But it was the end of the fight and GSP was on top. And Kos said something kinda friendly to him, and expected a response. But all GSP did was drop another elbow on his face lol

Yeah it was Trigg. He complimented GSP, then cried when he went back to his corner. You could tell it was a HUGELY humbling experience.

GSP had a similar effect on a bunch of fighters. Once they were in there with him, they realised just how much better he was. Like, several tiers above them in ability.

That has got to suck. Spend fucking YEARS training as hard as you possibly can, dedicating your life to improving your skills, have a bunch of fights, win most of them, work your way to the title... And be forced to accept that this French Canadian motherfucker is better than you will probably ever be.

I think its why so many of GSPs opponents were never quite the same after fighting him. Faced with the seemingly impossible task of improving themselves to get to GSP level, they kind of just gave up.

Yeah it was Trigg. He complimented GSP, then cried when he went back to his corner. You could tell it was a HUGELY humbling experience.

GSP had a similar effect on a bunch of fighters. Once they were in there with him, they realised just how much better he was. Like, several tiers above them in ability.

That has got to suck. Spend fucking YEARS training as hard as you possibly can, dedicating your life to improving your skills, have a bunch of fights, win most of them, work your way to the title... And be forced to accept that this French Canadian motherfucker is better than you will probably ever be.

I think its why so many of GSPs opponents were never quite the same after fighting him. Faced with the seemingly impossible task of improving themselves to get to GSP level, they kind of just gave up.
Hardy has some good talk about that.

Hardy has some good talk about that.
Yup, Hardy is the prime example. I guarantee he worked his fucking ass off trying to improve his takedown defence before that fight... And if didn't matter AT All. GSP took him down at will.

How do you recover your motivation from that? Especially as a veteran. When you're young and still developing you can take it as a learning experience and work to improve. But when you're deep in to your career and know that you're pretty much fully developed you basically just have to accept that GSP is better than you'll ever be.

Probably what GSP’s reflection tells GSP after shadowboxing.

Yup, Hardy is the prime example. I guarantee he worked his fucking ass off trying to improve his takedown defence before that fight... And if didn't matter AT All. GSP took him down at will.

How do you recover your motivation from that? Especially as a veteran. When you're young and still developing you can take it as a learning experience and work to improve. But when you're deep in to your career and know that you're pretty much fully developed you basically just have to accept that GSP is better than you'll ever be.
I always wanted a Hardy/Daley fight, but Daley late hitting Kos took any chance of that off the table.

Back