What was GSP relationship with Greg Jackson exactly ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 512089

So back in the day when I started to seriously follow the UFC in 2007 (was watching only pride before) I became very impressed with GSP and his dispatching of Koschek, Hugues and Serra. Long story short to me his coach was always Greg Jackson. I remember Greg telling him at UFC 100 when GSP mentioned a groin injury "I don't care, hit him with your groin!". Greg was also his coach in TUF against Koschek. Greg also said that he wouldn't train anybody for the condit fight because they were from the same team. For me he was his only coach.

Call me a noob but I didn't know about Firas Zahabi until his fight with Hendricks in 2013. And just before that fight I saw a Diego Sanchez tweet cheering for Hendricks followed by a justification saying that GSP wasn't his training partner at Jackson's and that he'd come only once a year or every two years.

Since then GSP was only referred as Tristar product, not a Jackson fighter anymore.

So what's the deal ? Was he always with Tristar and Firas and only getting private sessions with Greg ? Was he with Greg the whole time but something happened ? I honestly do not understand this matter. If anyone can explain thank you buds.

i think Jackson/Wink was only used for strategic planning. i don't think he actually trained their on a regular.

i think tristar has been his home gym since forever.

After watching Jardine, Evans, and Garcia go on a losing streak, GSP realized how nipple tweaking was bad for his performance.
He went back to Canada to stay with da riddum.

GSPNip2.gif

Last edited:
Firas was the head coach, GSP trained with some of the Jackson guys, and used Greg for strategy and working the corner..

i think Jackson/Wink was only used for strategic planning. i don't think he actually trained their on a regular.

i think tristar has been his home gym since forever.

Yes, he even had Jackson guys like Jardine, Rashad, Cowboy flown in for his rematch with BJ Penn..

They were just having fun. Nothing serious

If GSP lucked out at the club Firas was there on standby. Firas wanted more but Georges laid down the ground rules the first time he hit it.

Dana White called Greg Jackson a "sport killer" for turning GSP and other guys into boring fighters.

John Danaher, as one of GSP's coaches to this day, focused heavily on training GSP to finish fights again.

Back