**Conor's "sluggish" sparring analysis - did training to box Floyd ruin his natural instincts?**

Francis_Ngannou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is only light sparring as prefaced by the video, but Conor has looked very different since Eddie and it has nothing to do with his prime. His style seems to have fundamentally changed into a traditional, plodding, hunched over western style which could be attributed to the muscle memory learned from training for Floyd.

Last edited:
karate kung fu shit only works for a while.

Machida and rockhold are examples.

This is only light sparring as prefaced by the video, but Conor has looked very different since Eddie and it has nothing to do with his prime. His style seems to have fundamentally changed into a traditional, hunched over western style which could be attributed to the muscle memory learned from training for Floyd.

Conor had to abandon his bouncy shit against Khabib, because you need to have your feet firmly planted at all times when facing a wrestler who poses a takedown threat.

Could be drugs and/or alcohol, who knows?
No, it's more to do with a change in his style.

It happens to a lot of fighters who have natural flow and ruin it by over training it with traditional methods.

I would not be terribly shocked to see Cowboy knock this Conor out.

Conor had to abandon his bouncy shit against Khabib, because you need to have your feet firmly planted at all times when facing a wrestler who poses a takedown threat.
This is a valid point.

Maybe in the back of his mind he is still training for Khabib.

He parties way too much that shit wrecks your body. Add drugs on top of that plus damage from fights doesn't seem far off tbh. One thing I respect about floyd is hes been able to stay around so long because he doesn't drink or do drugs. He'll party of course but helhe train right after he leaves the club.

Last edited:
He parties way too much that shit wrecks your body. Add drugs on top of that plus damage from fights dieando seem far off tbh. One thing I respect anout floys is heshbeen able to stay around so long because he doesn't drink or do drugs. He'll party of course but hellhtrain right after he leaves the club.
I think way too much emphasis has been put on Conor's "alleged" lifestyle. Jon Jones and Tyson fought coked up and they were\are in a league of their own.

What I'm observing here, is that Conor is not showing a poor version of his old fighting style, he is showing us a new fighting style entirely.

It's simply Khabib is a different animal than Eddie. Eddie is a midget high school wrestler that is ok at Everything and excels at nothing. His only impressive win was RDA. Every other win was a boring hugging split decision. The Gaethje win is another good one.

Everyone looks off against Khabib.

I mean, right off the bat you can tell the video has been slowed down lmao.

I mean, right off the bat you can tell the video has been slowed down lmao.
It's slowed down in certain areas to highlight the difference in his posture, movement and boxing. You can view the video realtime on his IG and it looks pretty sluggish in terms of raw speed.

I think way too much emphasis has been put on Conor's "alleged" lifestyle. Jon Jones and Tyson fought coked up and they were\are in a league of their own.

What I'm observing here, is that Conor is not showing a poor version of his old fighting style, he is showing us a new fighting style entirely.
yeah, I would have guessed half assed sparring with Paulie, over the cumulative effects of drugs and alcohol. Makes perfect sense.
Lemme keep it 100.
I and many others I suspect, really don't care. Conor's best is behind him, old news.

its just light sparring, he is just playing about..... analysing it is just dumb

I'm not a Conor fan... but even I get a chuckle when the haters barge in and mention that he's finished after getting dominated by an undefeated monster. Make no mistake about it... if the Conor that fought Aldo & Alvarez is still alive... Cowboy is getting Slept with ease! He'll probably never beat Khabib... but please... Conor can still knock everybody else out in the division if the 2016 version of himself is still alive

its just light sparring, he is just playing about..... analysing it is just dumb
Not when he looked the same against Khabib.

Actually even in pre Khabib training he was looking like this

I really feel like he has lost the plot.

If anything training for Floyd should’ve helped his footwork not made him a plodder. Top boxers move in out of range better than almost anyone.

Back