The time GSP got outstruck by Jake Shields

West Linn

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Biggest crowd ever for UFC event. In front of his people. Tells everybody "Don't blink" before the fight. Proceeds to get outstruck by Jake Shields. What the fuck?

Jake employed that Jon Jones strategy. And GSP had no answer. Jake Shields GOAT.

KJq4Q.gif

175y0l.jpg

2r7lsvk.jpg

shieldseyepoke03.gif

shieldseyepoke02.gif

"Guys don't blink. I'm going to throw a spinning back kick to his body."

ufc-129-gif-gsp-back-spinning-side-kick-jake-shields.gif

Not bad, for a dude who got an entire goddamn finger in his eye

If Jake wasn’t so dreadfully robotic in his striking he may have actually had a chance to significantly fuck up GSP.

Never saw GSP so afraid to engage with someone. Clearly it was due to Jake’s vaunted ground game, but the opening it left for him to potentially piece up a fear stricken GSP was immense.

The eye-poke was unfortunate. Overall it was a rough main event for a great card up to that point.

I like how your each gif is a different variation of the hulk hogan eye rake

retard thread. some of the worst eye poking in a title fighter ever. If blatant fouling is considered "out striking", sure.

oh, is this thread tongue in cheek?

GSP fought like a pussy in that fight. He wasn't afraid to go to the ground with other bjj blackbelts. He didn't believe in himself and almost lost the fight.

The only thing I remember from that fight was the headkick which was pretty sick

EDIT: can’t find a gif of it am I making shit up???

Jake Shields the true WW GOAT. Outstruck Woodley and GSP.

Shields has underrated striking. Outstruck Woodley as well.

I thought the "don't blink" comment came before the Diaz fight.

Minus the poke, it would have been a straightforward and clinical 50-45 jab/kick/crossfest, mixed in with a TD at the end of some rounds.

IIRC, he actually got a 50-45 on one of the cards anyway.

Think Shields could have beaten GSP and GSP would have gotten owned on the ground. TDD is a thing though. Had it 3-2 for GSP and I like Shields.

The WW GOAT potential is there and the win over Woodley shows that there really has never been a fighter at 170 Shields didn't have the potential to beat beat.

Back