*Which one is better for self defense on a daily situation: BJJ or Karate?*

Seiryoku Zenyo

We are all one
@Brown
Reaction score
Daily situations like a street fight, a fight at a disco, bar or club. Talking about a legit BJJ level and a legit -kyokushin type- karate.

Karate will keep you to keep your distance from the drunk asshole winging haymakers at you in a bar fight lol

Also I’m biased as I’m a karate practitioner

BJJ, fights almost always end up on the floor or in a clinch.

BJJ is great until the guy has friends with him that will kick and stomp you on the ground... Boxing would be your best bet...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
karate.

you cant bjj anyone in the balls, but you sure can kick them in the balls.

Karate because all fights start on the feet, but as soon as it hits the ground you'd be wishing you took that free bjj class they were advertising in that flyer you threw out...

Daily situations like a street fight, a fight at a disco, bar or club. Talking about a legit BJJ level and a legit -kyokushin type- karate.

Answer

Japanese jiujitsu, the marriage of the two and original form of brazlian jiujitsu

Speaking from 8 plus years of training experience

Boxing. BJJ, is useless when a bunch of guys on top of you or a friend head stomps you. Karate is risky with leg kicks, easy for takedown. Kicking is also not as good for close quarter combats. Boxing is the way to go.

While you're trying to lock in a RNC his buddy is going to smash a beer bottle across your face.

Grapple is for one on one.

Striking gives you a chance to take on multiple opponents.

I guess if you're talking about a street scenario involving multiple possible people, I'd take the striking art. 1v1 I'd take bjj. Of course Muay Thai or Boxing with some bjj/wrestling would be best.

Also, boxing is great if you're especially good at it, but in reality, when it comes to most striking scenarios, the bigger, more aggressive person is going to land first, and has the advantage.

Striking arts are not very reliable when there's a significant size, or reach difference.

We are talking about what's more reliable for the average person, or undersized person with no special attributes, and that is obviously BJJ. Anyone who says otherwise is woefully naive.

Karate is probably the worst striking style you could take for self-defense.

Back