Fighters should follow GSPs lead

Rizzo

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
As an avid sports fan in general nothing makes me more sad than to see a legend of a sport try and push on well after their prime. Watching GOATs like Fedor and Anderson Silva get beat up by prospects and the Matt Mitriones of the world is painful and while it does not hurt their legacy in my opinion, it does to many others.

If this retirement sticks however, GSP did it the right way. His legacy is intact to everyone, no one will ever be able to question his accomplishments and that he was one of the best if not arguably the true GOAT of MMA. He finishes with only 2 losses, both of which he brutally avenged. WW and MW champ. Tons of title defenses. Not to mention not losing a single round for many years to anyone until he ran into pre USADA Hendrix.

As much as I enjoy watching guys like Fedor and Andy continue on in 2019, part of me wishes they had followed the same path as GSP and got out while on top.

Agreed. GSP showed everyone how to retire the right way.

As an avid sports fan in general nothing makes me more sad than to see a legend of a sport try and push on well after their prime. Watching GOATs like Fedor and Anderson Silva get beat up by prospects and the Matt Mitriones of the world is painful and while it does not hurt their legacy in my opinion, it does to many others.

If this retirement sticks however, GSP did it the right way. His legacy is intact to everyone, no one will ever be able to question his accomplishments and that he was one of the best if not arguably the true GOAT of MMA. He finishes with only 2 losses, both of which he brutally avenged. WW and MW champ. Tons of title defenses. Not to mention not losing a single round for many years to anyone until he ran into pre USADA Hendrix.

As much as I enjoy watching guys like Fedor and Andy continue on in 2019, part of me wishes they had followed the same path as GSP and got out while on top.

Totally disagree.

Losing when you’re old does nothing to affect legacy.

If Anderson, Fedor, Ken Shamrock, Sakuraba, and BJ keep fighting for the next 10 years and lose 15 straight, it doesn’t affect the body of work they accomplished in their prime.

My guess is they didn't manage their money well like gsp did and are in need of cash.

Totally disagree.

If Anderson, Fedor, Ken Shamrock, Sakuraba, and BJ keep fighting for the next 10 years and lose 15 straight, it doesn’t affect the body of work they accomplished in their prime.

Ugh, I agree in premise but I hate to see old legends lose to dudes they could've beaten even at the tale end of their prime.

Totally disagree.

That guy was a top 10 at 29-2
http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/58878

Losing doesn't affect how we look at him now?

nah, fighters should go out on their shield.

Totally disagree.

It doesn't affect their body of work but it does affect how fans perceive them.

Totally disagree.

Yup.

For their health's sake I want them to retire but if they continue to fight, it doesn't hurt their legacy. What they've accomplished can't be taken away.

These guys are warriors first before athletes. I actually respect them more being willing to compete knowing that they don't have the advantage of youth and aren't even favored to win.

Lol @ people thinking "legacy" is the only thing at stake for fighters sticking around too long past their prime. Ask Gary Goodridge if the "competitive spirit" was worth sticking around that long for... GSP made a lot of money, didn't take excessive damage, and is retiring on his own terms with the rest of his life to look forward to... all fighters should aim for that and not cling to the cheers of fickle "fans"

That guy was a top 10 at 29-2
http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/58878

Losing doesn't affect how we look at him now?

I don’t know who ‘we’ is.

But speaking for myself, NO.

Yea, I understand that I’m in the minority.
But I’m striving to influence other fans.

Do you think less of Alessandro del Piero for playing for a club in New Delhi, India, at the end, and not even being that special there?
I don’t.
I don’t think he “got figured out”, “didn’t evolve”, “hurt his legacy”, or “was never that good”.
He just got old and it doesn’t mean that he wasn’t pretty special during his prime.

Do you think less of Alessandro del Piero for playing for a club in New Delhi, India, at the end, and not even being that special there?
I don’t.
I don’t think he “got figured out”, “didn’t evolve”, “hurt his legacy”, or “was never that good”.
He just got old and it doesn’t mean that he wasn’t pretty special during his prime.

Fighting isn't like the other sport
who are about goals, basket or HR.

It's ONLY Based on winning and losing.

Losing affect your legacy,
no matter how good you were in your prime.

I still think the BJ that beat, Sherk, k-Flo, Joe daddy and Diego is the best LW ever,
BJ doesn't even crack the top 10 GOAT nowadays.

Yes, it's suck.

I don’t.
You assume fans are intelligent and can parce through stuf like that. For most people, losing means you suck and were never good. Losing a lot toward the end of a career will significantly impact perception of legacy, whether you agree or not. I personally agree with you, but I know I'm in the minority.

I understand why they still fight though. They are competitors who care more about enjoying life and testing themselves vs. perception. A fan's ability to comprehend declining careers and think in that context is largely limited to a few, in my opinion.

I would still love to see him fight, but just not in the same pool. prefer that guys like him just fight exhibition matches, or dream bouts with other old guard

Yes everyone should follow GSP’s lead

Break every record there is, be considered the GOAT, win two titles in two divisions and retire undefeated

Very simple

Totally disagree.

Problem is their body of work they accomplished during their primes doesn't top GSP's. So they had to keep fighting to surpass him.

Totally disagree.

Not going by what goes on here. Half of the guys here can't accept it. I personally have cut offs for when I basically say "he's doing it for the money" and leave it at that. About half the population can't/won't

By running away from the sport in your prime after a controversial decision win n then making up excuses why you’re no longer fighting?

Don’t think it’s a good way to leave the sport

Back