Crowd influence on fights

Natesblackshirt

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was just watching a video about how dead the WWE crowd was last night (no I didn’t watch, I was playing dice and smoking blunts).

But it got me thinking, every time the crowd goes crazy the fighters in real fights seem to go harder too. Although not always the case.

And often times the refs and/or fighters will accommodate this enthusiasm with early standups/breaks for hometown or favorite fighters. Or simply because the crowd is booing.

(Example: Belfort vs Rumble when Rumble came in overweight in Brazil- quick standups)

Basically, what I’m trying to say is that every time your favorite fighter lost (particularly decisions) it was your fault because you were not there cheering loud enough.

I think the crowd tried it with one of the WMMA fights this past weekend and even they started getting more aggressive. That or there was a better fight going on in the crowd, not sure.

Thoughts on the crowds influence? I remember one of the earlier Ireland cards was crazy. The crowd definitely seemed to impact the fighters performances, the refs, and the judges.

Maybe that’s how Bisping was able to rob Hammill, Silva, and Hendo in London?

You said "playing dice" so I don't believe you.

An arena full of this type of guy and the mat would be covered in blood by the end of the night guaranteed.
Arena full of this guy would end up in a massive brawl with some rioting outside after it...

For sure, in certain cases. Can't count how many times I have heard a fighter say they fed off a crowds energy during a fight. I also think a lot of the "OOOOHHHS" can affect a judges scoring at times.

Maybe that’s how Bisping was able to rob Hammill, Silva, and Hendo in London?
You forget Thales. It was Scotland which is still the UK. I thought he clearly beat Bisping.

The Hammil W might as well have been Bisping pulling a bank robbery.

On scorecards Bisping won. Silva should have landed some follow up punches and the fight would have been waved off.

Hendo should have been a draw.

Crowd influencing fights

Mendes-McGregor_189_pre_sale.jpg

Crowd influencing decision

GettyImages-963086666.jpg

It can help and it can be a hindrance, Obviously a crowd backing a fighter can give him a boost, A home crowd can also put a lot of pressure on a fighter and have him take risks he really should't, some fighters like to entertain the crowd and get drawn into war's while not being smart. Home crowds can boo and shout abuse at the away fighter which can also make or break him depending on how he handles things.

Crowd influencing fights

Mendes-McGregor_189_pre_sale.jpg

Crowd influencing decision

GettyImages-963086666.jpg
Agree on the decision 100%. But 189 is debatable, yeah Conor was pleading for standups but he ultimately got to his feet.

It was the stoppage the crowd likely influenced so I guess that’s what you’re referring to.

The Lawler vs Rory fight was just a snuff film, no crowd needed.

Agree on the decision 100%. But 189 is debatable, yeah Conor was pleading for standups but he ultimately got to his feet.

It was the stoppage the crowd likely influenced so I guess that’s what you’re referring to.

The Lawler vs Rory fight was just a snuff film, no crowd needed.

I'm referring to the action at 189. Every fight on the main card could have been fight of the night. Part of that was obviously the energy in the building.

Almeida thunderous flying knee

Gunnar huge lead right, then carved through Thatch when he dropped

Who The Fuck huge counter flying knee

Lawler-MacDonald goat fight, goat just bleed moment

Conor left hand shot, inside 2

I'm referring to the action at 189. Every fight on the main card could have been fight of the night. Part of that was obviously the energy in the building.

Almeida thunderous flying knee

Gunnar huge lead right, then carved through Thatch when he dropped

Who The Fuck huge counter flying knee

Lawler-MacDonald goat fight, goat just bleed moment

Conor left hand shot, inside 2
Agreed, the mat was COVERED in blood. One of the best events ever, in part because of the crowd.

the refs cant handle it when the crowd starts booing.

it definitely affects the fight. the fighters, the judges and the refs.

that is one of the best things about pride.

the Japanese audience was mostly quiet. didn't affect outcome of the fight.

I miss pride.

Agree on the decision 100%. But 189 is debatable, yeah Conor was pleading for standups but he ultimately got to his feet..

i think the reff warning mendes like he wasnt working was straight bs. i could be forcing something but that was suspect to me.

Back