Marcelo Garcia beating Elite Heavyweights in Grappling

TheLastEmperorReurns

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelo_Garcia_(grappler)

This dude is 155 lbs. Would be a FW if he cut weight. Also carries around body fat (almost never has visible abs).

Wins over:
  • Robert Drysdale
  • Gabriel Gonzaga
  • Mike van Arsdale
  • Alexandre Ferreira
All these names, plus ones not mentioned, are elite, high-level black belt grapplers.

We've seen WW Royce Gracie submit heavyweights in MMA's early days but can we see anything comparable to what Marcelo did in modern MMA?

I believe Marcelo competed in the 170 (nogi)-180 (gi) range at his peak, albeit with no weight cutting (most likely).

I've been in his general vicinity before, and while he's not a huge guy, he's not amazingly small either. His legs and base/lower body are exceptionally well-developed for his size.

That being said, he obviously has beaten some huge giants in sub-grappling. The odds of replicating a similar accomplishment lessen when you throw striking into the mix.

Comparing what Royce and Marcelo did in... MMA... is just a joke. Doesn't need any comments, as long as Marcelo has a much better BJJ, in MMA Royce was a king. His size and his accomplishments tells everything. This is outrageous.

Grappling doesn't always translate so smoothly to MMA grappling.

Marcelo did have an MMA fight in K1 Heroes way back in the day. He fought a Korean tomato can who he could do absolutely NOTHING to, despite having him on the ground and having his back for several minutes. Marcelo eventually lost by doctor stoppage and gave up on MMA forever.

Marcelo was one of the best to ever do it.

Don't forget his match against Ricco Rodriguez.

He had Kron's number - although it evened up a lot towards the end of his competitive career.

Marcelo did have an MMA fight in K1 Heroes way back in the day. He fought a Korean tomato can who he could do absolutely NOTHING to, despite having him on the ground and having his back for several minutes. Marcelo eventually lost by doctor stoppage and gave up on MMA forever.

This is an incredibly naive statement. Go look up how many MMA pro fighters lost their first bout. Regardless of the fighting background, many greats lost their first fight, and had great careers. Marcelo stuck with the smart choice, for him. He's considered a legend in grappling, has one of the best and most respected BJJ academies in the world, helped train top MMA fighters, and will be able to remember his kids names, because he doesn't have CTE.

I'll let you get back to vacuuming your Moms basement.

Last edited:
Marcelo was my hero for the longest time, if he had committed fully to mma with the same determination he did jiu jitsu, I guarantee he’d have become a champion.

That doesn’t mean he couldn’t have had a successful mma career had he chose to continue fighting. It’s one fight. Matt Serra beat GSP.

Its Marcelo Garcia...not surprising.

This is an incredibly naive statement. Go look up how many MMA pro fighters lost their first bout. Regardless of your fighting background, many greats lost their first fight, and had great careers. Marcelo stuck with the smart choice, for him. He's considered a legend in grappling, has one of the best and most respected BJJ academies in the world, helped train top MMA fighters, and will be able to remember his kids names, because he doesn't have CTE.

If anyone is naive... you are.

Could Marcelo have been a good mma fighter had he kept at it? Sure...

Would he have been a UFC champion? Nah... Or a p4p legendary giant slayer like he was in grappling? Absolutely not

This is an incredibly naive statement. Go look up how many MMA pro fighters lost their first bout. Regardless of your fighting background, many greats lost their first fight, and had great careers. Marcelo stuck with the smart choice, for him. He's considered a legend in grappling, has one of the best and most respected BJJ academies in the world, helped train top MMA fighters, and will be able to remember his kids names, because he doesn't have CTE.

Who cares what can he remember when nobody will remember him in couple of years except 50 BJJ fans.
People will remember Matt Serra for a long time just for his big win,not for him getting owned in rematch or some other fight.

It’s true.
Some guys just want to do something else, more lasting.

Running a school or association seems to be working for some guys.
Becoming a Top 5 MMA fighter and abandoning financial security isn’t so smart.

I dare say guys who are devoted to their local business, like Marcelo, or Assuncao, are better off in the long run.

Who cares what can he remember when nobody will remember him in couple of years except 50 BJJ fans.
People will remember Matt Serra for a long time just for his big win,not for him getting owned in rematch or some other fight.

Marcelo will be for ever remember as the 4p4 best grappler ever, .. Only nerds who have never spent a day in combat sports related to Mma won’t know who he is, someone like you for example

Marcelo is one of the best grapplers P4P ever. His MMA career was less than impressive.

Fifty BJJ fans? Plenty of MMA fans know of and respect Marcelo. He didn't even have to have a career in MMA for that to happen.

He is one of the most respected BJJ players to ever do it.

Back