The best and first Mexican ufc heavyweight champ

jmsmma170

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ricco Rodriguez should get recognized as such. Great stand-up and jitz. I used to get triggered when ufc promoted cain as the first Mexican heavyweight champ. Cain is an American citizen anyways . Ricco is Mexican and Puerto Rican. Hes got both first in the ufc as champ.

there have been 0 mexican champs in UFC

lots of american champs who casuals think are mexican because they have a "z" in their last name

Is it true, not trolling here, that Cain is not fluent in Spanish? Hard to promote a 'Mexican' champion if he doesn't speak the language lol. I remember Werdum calling Cain out because of it, saying that he spoke better Spanish then Cain.
And I agree 100 percent, Ricco Rodriguez was a fantastic fighter in his prime, he was the first Latino to win the UFC title, good thread.

Being born in Mexico or having lived there for a big chunk of your life is really needed to claim to be Mexican.

That's how it works in the real world but we just saw an event where a fake Irishman, a fake Jamaican, a fake Puerto Rican and a fake Mexican fought. All 4 were from the US of A. Buying another countries flag or choosing a dumb nickname doesn't change your nationality.

Is it true, not trolling here, that Cain is not fluent in Spanish? Hard to promote a 'Mexican' champion if he doesn't speak the language lol. I remember Werdum calling Cain out because of it, saying that he spoke better Spanish then Cain.
And I agree 100 percent, Ricco Rodriguez was a fantastic fighter in his prime, he was the first Latino to win the UFC title, good thread.
To win the UFC title ? Or hw title ? How does that Latino thing work anyways ? Is it people from Mexico and Spanish speaking countries that are considered Latino or is it like a guy like tito Ortiz who is of Mexican decent is he classified a Latino too ? Sorry for being ignorant

To win the UFC title ? Or hw title ? How does that Latino thing work anyways ? Is it people from Mexico and Spanish speaking countries that are considered Latino or is it like a guy like tito Ortiz who is of Mexican decent is he classified a Latino too ? Sorry for being ignorant

Hey man I'm just as confused as you now lol, Cain and Tito are both American born, but culturally they're Latino because of their parents, Ricco, same thing, whereas Werdum is from Brazil, but speaks fluent Spanish, but he's not a Latino, is he?
As far as Ricco, I meant to say he was the first Latino as in his background UFC heavyweight champion.

It was hilarious when that wmma chick tried to speak spanish to win the crowd

Hey man I'm just as confused as you now lol, Cain and Tito are both American born, but culturally they're Latino because of their parents, Ricco, same thing, whereas Werdum is from Brazil, but speaks fluent Spanish, but he's not a Latino, is he?
As far as Ricco, I meant to say he was the first Latino as in his background UFC heavyweight champion.
Ya the Latino thing gets a bit confusing and everybody has a different opinion . I've seen this brought up before I would think Tito ECT... are Latino no ?

But ya who the hell knows lol and who makes theses rules and guide lines anyways

Cain is not a native Spanish speaker. His Spanish is actually quite awful compared to other non-native speakers like Gastelum and Cejudo.

Ricco Rodriguez was not the first Latino to win the UFC title. Brazilians are Latino. Latino means someone from Latin America, and that is not exclusive to Spanish speakers.

You all remind me of that "Are ya Chinese or Japanese" scene in King of the Hill (with the Laotian neighbor).

Back