Even without the uppercut, could Cain have taken Ngannou down?

dfoster

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cain looked like a wet noodle in the TD attempt, made me wonder if he could have done it at all. He looked too weak to pull it off

We didn’t see Sealevel Cain tonight. We saw C Level Cain.

Not every TD attempt works.

We didn’t see Sealevel Cain tonight. We saw C Level Cain.

Sea Level
C Level
Knee Level

I love and hate Sherdog at the same time.

Ngannou obviously prepared those in close shots

Yes if Ngannou hadn't made those preparations Cain probably would have got him down.

Nope. He would've needed functioning knees.

The fight only lasted 26 seconds, even Ngannou can last longer than that before gassing out.
Stipe took Ngannou down 6 times.

I don't think he would have. He looked uncomfortable, uncoordinated, and awkward.

Ngannou was spamming strikes and landed two hail mary uppercuts like bots throw in EA UFC 3 and happened to land a lucky one messing with Cain's balance forcing him to put pressure on his fragile legs to keep him up which failed and he did the splits instead

I don't know but his single leg attempt was sloppy AF.
Honestly don't think Cain is the same nowadays, too much injuries and also him growing older.

When I saw him wrestle this " 5'0 MW " in a video a few weeks ago I wasn't confident at all, he looked awful both physically and wrestlingwise, and wrestling used to be his forte.

I don't know but his single leg attempt was sloppy AF.
Honestly don't think Cain is the same nowadays, too much injuries and also him growing older.

When I saw him wrestle this " 5'0 MW " in a video a few weeks ago I wasn't confident at all, he looked awful both physically and wrestlingwise, and wrestling used to be his forte.

I agree, I dont think the out come would have been any different even if he was close to landing that take down.

He was rocked from a quick close range uppercut that messed up his equilibrium. He would have gotten finished by strikes either way I think.

I agree, I dont think the out come would have been any different even if he was close to landing that take down.

He was rocked from a quick close range uppercut that messed up his equilibrium. He would have gotten finished by strikes either way I think.

We will never know, but in my opinion he didn't look anywhere close to the beast that run through JDS and BigFoot/Browne.
He looked horrible and we know he is quite hittable in the early fight. And it only takes one punch from someone like Francis.
Honestly Francis by KO/TKO inside the 1st was the massively obvious value bet here.

We will never know, but in my opinion he didn't look anywhere close to the beast that run through JDS and BigFoot/Browne.
He looked horrible and we know he is quite hittable in the early fight. And it only takes one punch from someone like Francis.
Honestly Francis by KO/TKO inside the 1st was the massively obvious value bet here.

I wanted Cain to come back and do well but that time off was probably a huge factor as well. Think of all the training and fighting experience Ngannou racked up while Cain was out.

I wanted Cain to come back and do well but that time off was probably a huge factor as well. Think of all the training and fighting experience Ngannou racked up while Cain was out.

Honestly it has nothing to do with Francis and everything to do with Cain.
Don't get me wrong Francis is a very dangerous opponent, but as an MMA fighter Cain is still miles ahead.

The difference makers in my opinion are :

A- nagging injuries
B- way too long lay off due to A
C- him getting older which doesn't exactly help A & B ( especially since USADA are watching now so you can't nurse your injuries with PEDs nor short circuit the effects of aging like in good old times )

All in all, then add nervousness, less confidence etc and it was a VERY dangerous comeback fight against a powerhouse, to say the least.
Honestly Cain looked old AF, even facewise, you could see something had changed even before the fight started.

He is also paying the price for all that stupid SnC training he did earlier in his career with that joe Grasso jester.

Honestly it has nothing to do with Francis and everything to do with Cain.
Don't get me wrong Francis is a very dangerous opponent, but as an MMA fighter Cain is still miles ahead.

The difference makers in my opinion are :

A- nagging injuries
B- way too long lay off due to A
C- him getting older which doesn't exactly help A & B ( especially since USADA are watching now so you can't nurse your injuries with PEDs nor short circuit the effects of aging like in good old times )

All in all, then add nervousness, less confidence etc and it was a VERY dangerous comeback fight against a powerhouse, to say the least.
Honestly Cain looked old AF, even facewise, you could see something had changed even before the fight started.

He is also paying the price for all that stupid SnC training he did earlier in his career with that joe Grasso jester.

Great post, though I think all the nonstop injuries Cain has had more or less proves he’s never used steroids.

Not a fresh Ngannou, but anything other than a 1st round Ngannou I believe so.

I think he could have chain wrestled him down in the later rounds.

He was just too easily outmuscled in the early going for it to be effective and get Ngannou down.

No way of knowing. Maybe the dude made strides and strides with his rasslin' training. Dude is strong as fook and has shown in the past that he could just outmuscle fighters in the clinch, so maybe with some decent technique he could have shaken Cain off him.

People who say he was sloppy need to rewatch Cain vs JDS II. It's almost comical, but it is his style. He goes after you until he gets what he wants.

Back