Diminishing Returns

MigitAs

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
James Vick has reached the point, where he is cutting so much weight it is compromising his durability.

I honestly believe he will never have success at the top of the 155lb division because his chin/health is so comprimised by his weight cut.

anyone else with me? Thoughts?

Good power, but mediocre coordination, slow, and doesn't use his reach effectively. Terrible guard as well, fairly easy to hit.

He'll get finished by anyone in the top 5 - 10.

Felder on the other hand, is pretty legit.

Never was sold or excited about Vick as a serious title challenger

I like his fighting style but there is something missing, you could be on to it, I just hope he figures it out before his time is up.

I think his motor skills are his greatest weakness.

He has that lanky verticality that makes his distance a bit difficult to implement. No horizontal or hip movement, no hooks, but long jabs, straights and wide up hooks. In the clinch he is good with his elbows and great takedown defense. He is good, gritty, strong, and durable. He just doesn't have the attributes to reach the top.

I agree TS. Besides power and chin, brain fog likely also screws him at 155. He's better off going for 170 or possibly even 185. He's got the frame to do work in either division.

Vick is pretty good, he just got caught a couple of times.
He is always entertaining to watch.

James Vick has reached the point, where he is cutting so much weight it is compromising his durability.

I honestly believe he will never have success at the top of the 155lb division because his chin/health is so comprimised by his weight cut.

I think he's a decent fighter but not elite. I think the results he's garnered are more from his size.

The weight cut is definitely hurting him. He looks sickly in there. No reason for him to not move up to 155. Maybe try to break some of those bad habits Dominick Cruz was talking about the entire fight, too.

Back