When should a champion be stripped? When should an interim title be introduced?

sdpdude9

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Just wanting to see some opinions on this. In my opinion, a definite time frame should be introduced for a champion to defend his title. I’m going to say 16 months to be stripped, because I’m not a huge fan of taking titles away because of things out of a fighter’s control. Some will want it to be sooner, but I think it just makes a bigger mess to strip champions. But there needs to be a limit.

I know many are against interim champions, but I think they have their place when introduced correctly. They should be introduced maybe after 7-8 months if the champion is unlikely to fight soon. The interim champion should be seen as the acting champion, meaning they should have to defend the title and effectively be seen as the current champion in the real champion’s absence, until an eventual unifying the title or being promoted to undisputed champion.

So what other ideas do people have? Should there be other criteria or different time frames?

Edit: New idea. After a year the champion is demoted to interim champion, two other top contenders fight for the undisputed belt. The interim belt remains for 6 months and is essentially a guaranteed title shot upon return but is stripped as well if the fighter is unable to fight within that time frame, then they must take another foght before challenging again.

Last edited:
unless i'm mistaken, there used to be a pretty rigid time limit of one year without activity and it was adhered to for the most part. but that was back in the day and we're in the conor era now - which is like trump's america, the rules just don't matter anymore.

The only time an interim belt is needed is when they run out of gold, hence the term paper champ.

IF they don't defend the belt in 6 months. Stripped them. If they pull out more than two fights. Stripped them and give half their purse to the opponent.

9 fuckin MONTHS, that gives these assholes 3 months to take it easy, family time, heal up ETC. wich in turn after that they get their asses back in shape and ready to defend in that nexy 6 month time, FUCK these 12-18 mnth lay off champs.
Part time champs
Primus, Woodley, Khabib, MacNuggets ETC!!!!

Who cares, the belts are irrelevant, it’s all about who fights who imo.

9 fuckin MONTHS, that gives these assholes 3 months to take it easy, family time, heal up ETC. wich in turn after that they get their asses back in shape and ready to defend in that nexy 6 month time, FUCK these 12-18 mnth lay off champs.
Part time champs
Primus, Woodley, Khabib, MacNuggets ETC!!!!
Woodley? He’s the most active champ currently, he’s defending next month

Stripped if
  • no defense scheduled within 8 months
  • you have to pull out of a scheduled defense that was within 8 months but don't manage to remount that defense within the next 4 months
I.e.,
  • 8 months unless there's a legit reason
  • 1 year no matter whether there's a legit reason or not

Some discretion would still be necessary if defenses are not made due to the challenger withdrawing (rather the champion withdrawing). No champion should be forced to accept a change of challenger if it occurs less than 4 weeks prior to the scheduled fight. This is because, as champion, the eyes of the division are on you. Not just your immediate opponent but everyone else in the division, and their teams, are studying you any time they're not studying their own immediate opponents. A month should be allowed for the champion and his/her team to change game plans.

(This all-eyes-on-you factor is also why, for any rational fan, defenses count for significantly more than non-defenses when it comes to GOAT discussions)

As for interim titles, meh, they mean fuck all to me. And with this 8/12 rule in place they'd be rendered more or less unnecessary anyway.

Last edited:
UFC owns the belts

so the UFC can strip and make a belt whenever the fuck they want

There will never be rules for this shit it’ll always depend on the money and what Dana wants. It’s prize fighting not a legit sport. Money talks bullshit walks Dana’s a bulllshititting money addict you do the math

but that was back in the day and we're in the conor era now - which is like trump's america, the rules just don't matter anymore.

Conor won the 155lb belt in November 2016

An interim bout was booked for March 2017, 4 months later

People like to blame Conor for holding up 155, but he actually didnt. In fact, the time between him getting the belt and them deciding to have an interim was probably the shortest ever.

1 year after the last defense.

And no Interim titles, ever.

Originally when the company had an issue with the champ they just stripped the belt had the top two contenders fight for it. Think this is the best option.

The reason it changed is because Tito sat on the belt for a year, fought Ken Shamrock who was a joke opponent then refused to fight Chuck Liddell who'd won seven straight fights. Interim belt was to force Tito to fight the winner of the interim title fight. When he fought Randy that was his second fight in two years. That's the sort of situation the interim belt should be for, forcing the champ to fight contenders or else. If you're having two guys fight to replace the champ cause the champ won't be back for awhile just call it the championship. Give the old champ an instant title shot but the two belt thing seems to exert leverage and to promote "champ v champ" fights that are really champ v number one contender with an honorary belt fights.

Also think all previous interim championships should be considered real ones by default.

But yeah that original Tito timeframe should be the case study. I think the best way to do is 18 months but if you wait over 12 months once, the timeframe for being stripped then becomes 6 months that way you're also discouraging super inactive champions. This way champs can use the 18 months as an insurance policy if they really need it but can't abuse the timelimit cause abusing the timelimit is an issue with having an official policy that doesn't get mentioned.

There should be leverage to strip the belt if it's clear the champ is not coming back. If they retire, change divisions or go fight in boxing they should be instantly stripped. This should apply to normal champions getting hurt and taking breaks between fights obviously if someone's not participating in a division anymore intentionally they need to go.

Stripped if
  • no defense scheduled within 8 months
  • you have to pull out of a scheduled defense that was within within 8 months but don't manage to remount that defense within the next 4 months
I.e.,
  • 8 months unless there's a legit reason
  • 1 year no matter whether there's a legit reason or not

Some discretion would still be necessary if defenses are not made due to the challenger withdrawing. No champion should be forced to accept a change of challenger if it occurs less than 4 weeks prior to the scheduled fight.

I like this idea. Leaves some room for extenuating circumstances. Do you believe in axing interim champions? Would you allow some leeway if the champion is able to fight very shortly after the deadline or is it a hard deadline?

I like this idea. Leaves some room for extenuating circumstances. Do you believe in axing interim champions? Would you allow some leeway if the champion is able to fight very shortly after the deadline or is it a hard deadline?

Cheers brother. I actually just edited in a thing saying I don't really care about interims. If you put the 8 month/12 month limit in place I think you more or less eliminate the need for them anyway.

As for deadlines, I think you have to make them pretty hard. Maybe plus or minus a week at most.

Interim belt should only be given if a fighter going be out 8-12 mths. If a champ out longer than 1 year, strip them.

Cheers brother. I actually just edited in a thing saying I don't really care about interims. If you put the 8 month/12 month limit in place I think you more or less eliminate the need for them anyway.

As for deadlines, I think you have to make them pretty hard. Maybe plus or minus a week at most.

This issue is so difficult though because of some many crazy factors that come into play. Obviously, the champion shouldn’t be stripped if the problems were with their opponents having issues. But if they’re able to fight soon after the deadline, do they fight for the vacant belt again or do the next two contenders get the chance and the former champion has to earn a shot again?

Back