Is KO power somehow inversely proportional to cardio?

Kaiserjuan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Look at all the big hitters who pack a bomb: Romero, Ngannou, black beast, Rumble, Woodley (to a lesser extent), conor , Big country, JDS. They all have serious ko power for the division but theit cardio is average or subpar.

On the other hand you got Holloway, FERG, Edgar, Khabib, whittaker, wonder boy, Jon Jones, bispine, prime gsp, Stipe, Cain etc....they may be good strikers and capable of koing people but don't have that bomb, but their cardio is on another level.

Explosive muscle fibers vs endurance muscle fibers...

Thats why sprinters are not long distance runners.

Thats why sprinters are not log distance runners.
marathon_sprinter1.jpg

Look at all the big hitters who pack a bomb: Romero, Ngannou, black beast, Rumble, Woodley (to a lesser extent), conor , Big country, JDS. They all have serious ko power for the division but theit cardio is average or subpar.

On the other hand you got Holloway, FERG, Edgar, Khabib, whittaker, wonder boy, Jon Jones, bispine, prime gsp, Stipe, Cain etc....they may be good strikers and capable of koing people but don't have that bomb, but their cardio is on another level.

Big muscles = hit hard = more oxygen needed for muscles to function = bigger strain is put on the cardiovascular system = fighter gasses faster compared to the same fighter with less muscle mass.

No need to thank me for this in-depth physiological analysis.

Fast twitch muscle fibre vs slow twitch muscle fibre.

Yeah they hit with more force, that means that more energy leaves their body with every strike thrown.

I'm a physicists ask me anything.

In the example you brought it has a lot to do with the way they fight, in boxing for example you have plenty of guys who are known for KO power as well as good cardio, GGG comes to mind.

sort of

While an oversimplification I suppose there is something factual basis to this.

It's been a good question for a long time with no clear answer. Tall skinny guys with skinny arms in boxing were infamous for having devastating KO power while guys who looked like total beasts often couldn't crack an egg.

Earnie Shavers always said he thought he got his power from chopping wood. Sounds legit to me.

Yeah they hit with more force, that means that more energy leaves their body with every strike thrown.

I'm a physicists ask me anything.
what tools do you bring into the bathroom with you?

It's not mma but boxing , deontay wilder has cardio for days and can drop you dead in 1 or the 12th . Your theory has no merit . Some guys just have bad cardio

Conor doesn't hit that hard. He says so himself.

"precision beats power, timing beats speed"

I don't think it matters how you're build, or even how hard you hit...if you're throwing every strike with maximum effort, you're going to get tired. You would have to train like such a maniac to be able to maintain even a decent pace throwing everything at maximum effort.

Try it. Get access to a punching bag(it doesn't even need to be a heavy one), and give it hell for as long as you can. I mean throw every strike as hard as you can. Maybe even set a timer, and when you get exhausted, turn the timer off. You'll see my point. Everybody you named throws hard every time. If they learned how to not swing for the fences every time, they wouldn't gas so bad.

Back