Restart fights with early stoppages

UFCBlackbelt

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I am not talking about the TJ fight.

I was watching UFC 15.5 and in the sakuraba/silva fight the UFC determined it was an early stoppage and decided to restart the fight, is this something that can still be done today?

Its way too subjective. Will never happen. It’s also not just about wether or not the fighter wants to keep fighting. It’s about making sure he doesn’t take too much damage.

How about they just let them fight... Edgar vs Maynard II is an all time classic and could have been stopped like four different times.

I was watching UFC 15.5 and in the sakuraba/silva fight the UFC determined it was an early stoppage and decided to restart the fight, is this something that can still be done today?

yes. also bring back groin shots and biting

Well let's think about how this looks compared to other sports leagues. In the NFL now, if a player gets rocked, they have to pass a series of tests to be let back into the game. So how would it look if MMA started saying, "Well yeah you were concussed so we stopped the fight, but if you feel like getting concussed again, let's do this."

restarts make no sense, either the fighter can continue or not. If anything i would say let the fights go longer but i'm not sure how you ensure something like that.

Instead of looking at restarting fights what needs to be done is get rid of these stupid refs that make big mistakes in title fights. Start getting more refs like Josh Rosenthal or the ref in the Fedor vs Maldonado fight. The UFC need refs that don't panic in a fight and will give the hurt fighter every chance possible to recover and will stop the fight when the fighter is almost getting KO'd.

There's no real way to objectively determine if a stoppage is too early.

Instead of looking at restarting fights what needs to be done is get rid of these stupid refs that make big mistakes in title fights. Start getting more refs like Josh Rosenthal or the ref in the Fedor vs Maldonado fight. The UFC need refs that don't panic in a fight and will give the hurt fighter every chance possible to recover and will stop the fight when the fighter is almost getting KO'd.

Many of the problems around the UFC are only problems because they are stuck working with athletic commissions. Each one controls their own refs, their own rules, and many other aspects of the fight game. If the UFC were to get national regulation of the UFC that allowed them stop working with the individual athletic commissions, they would be able to implement one set of rules for the entirety of the US and control hiring, training, and firing of referees and judges. They would be able to put forth a much more consistent product. It is this way for every other sport out there, but the legacy rules of boxing got applied to MMA and they are stuck with them for the foreseeable future.

You cant. Cuz a tko can turn into an actual ko. The ref is whom fucks it up.

People USUALLY loving tkos are the bitches of the forum, which any recent tj v cejudo poll will weed out. These clowns will come out more and more the more their soy fed brethren join.

Little girls. perhaps fighting just is for ya?

Many of the problems around the UFC are only problems because they are stuck working with athletic commissions. Each one controls their own refs, their own rules, and many other aspects of the fight game. If the UFC were to get national regulation of the UFC that allowed them stop working with the individual athletic commissions, they would be able to implement one set of rules for the entirety of the US and control hiring, training, and firing of referees and judges. They would be able to put forth a much more consistent product. It is this way for every other sport out there, but the legacy rules of boxing got applied to MMA and they are stuck with them for the foreseeable future.

Almost every AC will pick refs from a list the UFC hands over to them. Why else would we always see the same refs no matter which state the UFC sets up shop? Each of these states have refs that work on the local MMA circuit yet you never see these refs when the UFC comes to town. So yes the UFC can come up with a list of better qualified refs the AC can pick from if the UFC was interested in finding better refs. Josh Rosenthal has been a ref for Bellator for a while now yet you never see him being a ref on any UFC fight cards.

Only Canada and Brazil you will see a handful of refs from that country working the UFC prelims but never on the main card. Again always the usual refs that work in the USA will work the main card in every state and every country the UFC is set for a show.

ban people with this suggestion

Why not? The AC's are so damn slow to implement any improvements though.

Each fighter has a few matches per year, so each one counts big since it's not like they have a 162 game season.

I think by now the focus is much more on fighter health and that it would be very hard to overrule a stoppage and put someone back into a fight compared to when there were no athletic commissions. shit's regulated and no one would want to liable once things started to look bad. fights end nowadays with medical suspensions, so the idea of restarting seems a bit crazy.

Back