00s MMA Bustamante Vs Shields

savemgs

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Murilo Bustamante Vs Jake Shields

Finding a year in time where these two could have competed was a bit difficult but the best I could come up with was 2006 Jake Shields just won the rumble on the rock tournament. And Bustamante lost the pride Grand Prix Final to Dan Henderson.
Shields & Bustamante would be 27 and 40 at the time.
let's say instead of bouncing around from Independence promotions Shields signs with Pride and faces off with Bustamante who do you think comes out on top?

Untitled.png

My money would be on Bustamante. Especially with Pride's scoring criteria.

But it would be a competitive fight, I think.

Nice to see Bustamante getting some love on here.

Damn, I've never seen that ROTR tourney. He beat Menne, Okami & Condit.

Interesting fight for sure. Busta was old, but he beat up on the Giant Killa himself, Minowaman, with ease. And the rematch with Hendo was a toss up. For 40, he still had it.

Good matchup. Good thread. I'm going to say Shields in US, Busta in Japan (with faster standups, stomps and soccer kicks allowed, and elbows to the grill not allowed).

*EDIT: TS, did he 'grapplefuck' them in those wins?

Last edited:
I think Shields would have won. Bustamante was good but seemed to fall short against bigger names.

Bustamantch. He the reason thw greatest bjj player is alive now. Renato laranja.. He was freezing homeless and then murilo bustamantch gave him a gi jacket.

I'm pretty sure Bustamante was #1 p4p in Sherdog ranking at some point (in 02'?)

((After beating Mene & Lindland))

Would take Shields, but would look like the Maia fight.

Busta would have TKO or submitted Shields. Shields chance would be to hold down Busta to run out the time.

I think Shields takes it pretty easily. Dude is crazy underrated, even GSP wanted nothing to do with him on the ground

As athletically-stiff as Shields seems, he’s got several big wins under his name.

He survived the H Bomb and handily turned that into a victory.

Jake would probably Shields Bustamante for a decision.

Murilo Bustamante Vs Jake Shields

Finding a year in time where these two could have competed was a bit difficult but the best I could come up with was 2006 Jake Shields just won the rumble on the rock tournament. And Bustamante lost the pride Grand Prix Final to Dan Henderson.
Shields & Bustamante would be 27 and 40 at the time.
let's say instead of bouncing around from Independence promotions Shields signs with Pride and faces off with Bustamante who do you think comes out on top?

View attachment 510527

Murilo was my favorite back in the day, many people here don't even know him.

I think Shields takes it pretty easily. Dude is crazy underrated, even GSP wanted nothing to do with him on the ground
That's crazy talk brother. I think Jake has a great chance of winning but Bustamante is BJJ Legend and developed a good stand-up and decent punching power.

As athletically-stiff as Shields seems, he’s got several big wins under his name.

He survived the H Bomb and handily turned that into a victory.

Jake would probably Shields Bustamante for a decision.
Definitely can see it Shields had great skills and a good chin.

Murilo was my favorite back in the day, many people here don't even know him.
Definitely he's criminally underrated by many of today's fans but come on man be a man take a stand who you got Shields or Bustamante?

Busta would have TKO or submitted Shields. Shields chance would be to hold down Busta to run out the time.
I don't know about that as good as Bustamante was Shields is a double tough son of a b**** I could definitely see Bustamante using his Superior size strength and experience to defeat Shields though. Not to mention Bustamante had good boxing and punching power.

That's crazy talk brother. I think Jake has a great chance of winning but Bustamante is BJJ Legend and developed a good stand-up and decent punching power.
I love Busta but as your OP noted he'd be 40 in this fight, going up against Shields in his athletic prime. Shields was just so relentless and a cardio machine, I don't think Murilo would be able to keep up. I guess an important factor would be the round configuration. Murilo's best chance would be 3 5min rounds imo, but anything other than that (5 5min rds; Pride 10min 1st, 5min 2nd and 3rd) I think Shields eventually overwhelms him

Murilo was much better on the feet he outstruck Chuck and Hendo (second time) was robbed both times poor guy. Prime for prime he definitely win this although at 40 give or take could be tricky and Shield unlike Murilo had a lot of luck with decisions.

Winnable for both.

Busta is an all time fav of mine

Back