How does a goat go 1-8-1 in last 10 fights?

IASP

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With the lone win being a fighter needing to retire. I’m confused..I see old overeem with 50 fights beating young contenders at heavyweight. I see old Cerrone with 50 fights beating young contenders at Lw and ww. I see fedor still competitive in bellator. I see d.c. champion at 40. I see these tings and I wonder, how does someone with only 29 fights have a 1-8-1 record in past ten and still be held to such high accolade?

I was wondering and so I came here. I was told he fought lyoto at hw so that guarantees him goat. What about siver at fw? Is that goaty

He should have retired 8 fights ago... that's how.

Prime BJ is the best LW ever.

Fighters who don't know when to retire usually have terrible end to their career.

So his prime required....being young? Being dedicated? Why do those fights not count?

I thought goats had enough skill to overcome some physical diminish. I guess guys like overeem, Cerrone, Woodley, d.c., fedor, etc are just absolute freaks of nature

BJ penn transcended MMA. If you look at any sport you will see that the athletes evolve. You add in the fact tht BJ usually got by on talent and not hard work and him fighting much longer than he should have.... and what you get is a record that some newb on sherdog would look at and shit on a legend.

IMO in his prime BJ penn is the second best fighter UNDER 170 pounds ever. I would have to say only behind Khabib. Aldo is in the mix as well.

man its been a while he might be THE BEST. this is a guy who was tooling Matt Hughes on the ground before gassing and getting injured in the rematch. He could possibly grapple with khabib

Prime BJ is the best LW ever.

Fighters who don't know when to retire usually have terrible end to their career.

No different than Jones Jr

FFS Tyson lost to Williams and McBride

Trevor Berbick beat Ali

When you're shot, you're shot.

So his prime required....being young? Being dedicated? Why do those fights not count?

I thought goats had enough skill to overcome some physical diminish. I guess guys like overeem, Cerrone, Woodley, d.c., fedor, etc are just absolute freaks of nature
Someone doesnt know the meaning of the word prime.

BJ penn transcended MMA. If you look at any sport you will see that the athletes evolve. You add in the fact tht BJ usually got by on talent and not hard work and him fighting much longer than he should have.... and what you get is a record that some newb on sherdog would look at and shit on a legend.

IMO in his prime BJ penn is the second best fighter UNDER 170 pounds ever. I would have to say only behind Khabib. Aldo is in the mix as well.

man its been a while he might be THE BEST. this is a guy who was tooling Matt Hughes on the ground before gassing and getting injured in the rematch. He could possibly grapple with khabib
Logged in to say good post.

He is a guy that seems to have gotten by in his amazing physical advantages - great balance, flexibility and reflexes - for so long that he probably just never had to try as hard to evolve and get better as some other guys did. I don't know but I get the impression that finding things so easy for so long stopped him from achieving his full potential. He just comes across as not as dedicated as he needs to be to be at that level

There is no such thing as a GOAT so stop worrying about it. He was a great fighter that fought way past the time he should have given up, and his trainers and management should feel ashamed for continuing to support him getting the gloves back on after some of those dismal performances

BJ Penn is a prime example of when a win/loss record doesn't do the fighter justice.

The guy who has competed at FW fought a freakin 225 pound Lyoto Machida.

hqdefault.jpg

BJ is a beast and his record will never represent his actual talent.

Had he been more disciplined, who knows how much more he could have accomplished. But the dude would literally fight anybody at any weight.

the other fighters you named rely much less on their speed and reflexes

Go watch the first 10 years of BJ's career. He only lost 1 Lightweight fight (a decision) for a decade. He moved up and dethroned a dominant Welterweight champ in Hughes, had an extremely close fight with the much bigger GSP, had an extremely dominant and bloody Lightweight title reign and fought many men much bigger.

Absolute legend and arguably LW GOAT

MMA noobs need to stop making threads like this.

If you weren't around for it, don't make a thread hating on that fighter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back