Joseph Benavidez asks Henry Cejudo to ‘do the right thing for the division’ and forego chasing 135

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Speaking with FloCombat recently, Benavidez plead with Cejudo to stick to his word and save the flyweight division by actually sticking around and defending his belt.

“I’m all about respect and I never get outside myself as far as calling people out,” Benavidez said. “I’m always going to be myself when calling someone out. I haven’t got to talk to Henry a ton since [our fight] and I don’t know if people have the idea that me and Henry are enemies. Obviously when we coached ‘Ultimate Fighter’ a lot of things were said and done but after that fight, if you watch that fight, me and Henry give each other a part of ourselves. We don’t stop hitting each other for 15 minutes.

“I gained so much respect for him after that obviously. We’re not going to go bowling together—we’re not friends—but I have so much respect for him. It’s not about me and you right now fighting for a title, but there are thousands of kids out there dreaming of being a flyweight champion of the world and now we have a chance to keep this division moving forward.”

Benavidez and Cejudo fought once before at The Ultimate Fighter 24 Finale, with Benavidez taking home a split decision. It was the last time Cejudo lost, and with his win over Dustin Ortiz, Benavidez would presumably be next in line for a title fight, if Cejudo does stick around at flyweight. And though the allure of becoming a double champ simply by beating the man you just destroyed in 32 seconds is probably very enticing, Benavidez implores Cejudo to do right by the division. He even goes so far as to throw shade at his former training partner, Dillashaw, saying that if the roles were reversed, he wouldn’t have given Cejudo a rematch so Cejudo shouldn’t give T.J. one.

“He’s talking about the rematch with T.J. but do you think T.J. would even think of you twice had he knocked you out — controversial or not — do you think he’d even think twice about giving you a rematch?” Benavidez said. “No. He’d move on, he wouldn’t think about the division, he already says he’d be calling for a featherweight title shot.

“He wouldn’t give you a rematch. He wouldn’t give you another shot. He didn’t have respect for you before. He’s acting like he has respect now but he already acted the way he did. He wouldn’t think about Henry again or give him a rematch. The only reason he is now is because he lost in 32 seconds. That would never happen. Move on, do the right thing for the division.”

Of course, it’s hard to separate Benavidez’s own self-interest in all of this. The top-ranked flyweight contender has come as close as possible to winning a title without actually doing so, losing a split decision to Demetrious Johnson when they fought for the inaugural belt. After suffering a devastating KO loss to Johnson in their rematch, Benavidez has remained “in contention” without ever getting another crack at the belt. With Johnson now gone from the UFC, Benavidez would obviously love one final shot to earn the title that has eluded him for so long, and with a win over Cejudo already under his belt, he clearly feels like the title is there for the taking. It all comes down to whether Cejudo is a man of his word, says Benavidez

“I gave him 15 minutes of hell and he knows I’m going to come after him,” Benavidez said. “This time it’s going to be 25 minutes. I don’t think he’s scared of me, but he knows a fight with me is a fight with me and the other fight he has nothing to lose because he already knocked the guy out in 32 seconds. If he believes what he says, this is his chance to do it.

“If he believes in that, if you truly believe in that and you’re not just saying it, this is the only option to keep it moving forward. Give me the shot.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/1/...for-the-division-and-forego-chasing-135-title

Poor Joe. I feel bad for him but this isnt about TJ. Henry wants his third belt and to be a champ champ. He probably isn't considering what would of happened if he lost. Why would he, he believed he was going to Knock him out the whole time.

I'm rooting for this only because it could potentially give dana a stroke

If all of those kids out there simply eat the food mom puts in front of them, they don’t ever have to worry about being a flyweight champion. This is a division that needs to go. Nobody is in it. And nobody ever will be. What is the percentage of males in the United States alone that only grow up to be 5-4 and weigh around 140 pounds? Like 1 or 2%?

Joes selfish. Henry can be a super star. If he moves up and destroys tj again. Henry has already been going out his way to stand up for the 125 division.

Poor Joe. I feel bad for him but this isnt about TJ. Henry wants his third belt and to be a champ champ. He probably isn't considering what would of happened if he lost. Why would he, he believed he was going to Knock him out the whole time.

I think Henry just wants a bigger paycheck and who can blame him for that? It's why they all fight. He stands to make a lot more money in a rematch with TJ than he could fighting anyone at 125.

I think Henry just wants a bigger paycheck and who can blame him for that? It's why they all fight. He stands to make a lot more money in a rematch with TJ than he could fighting anyone at 125.
i agree 100% and think hes dead on for doing it as well

what Joe says makes sense...and I'm tired of 'super fights' that have little merit behind being made (they should happen between two dominant champs who each have multiple defenses and no obvious #1 contender)

but who doesn't want to see Cejudo take TJ's belt though? If you think TJ is salty now, can you imagine? <45>

Joe has a point but I think its just too tempting for Cejudo. If Joe can keep his top spot until after Cejudo cleans up business at 135 with TJ his title shot could be much bigger so hopefully even if Cejudo doesn't give him the shot before facing TJ again it works out in Joe's favor

Cejudo Vs Joe B #2

Now that will sell a lots of PPV's!

I hope Cejudo stays at 125. If they have a rematch it would mean both divisions on hold again.

And there's no shortage of contenders at both weights. Already hated the fact that we'll lose one contender in Assunção or Moraes because TJ wanted this stupid 125 belt.

cejudo shouldn't be chasing a rematch with someone he just got a TKO over. controversial or not, he should just say that he was about to rain down hell on TJ and just move on. cejudo needs to be more worried about keeping the 125 division around instead of going up to 135. if cejudo goes up to 135 and tj wins, the UFC could easily say the first win was a bad stoppage and proceed with cutting the 125 division.

Let TJ defend against Morales(after he wins ofcorse) and Henry defend against Joe. Then they can fight each other. Divisions should not be held hostage esp the 135 one which is stacked.

Cejudo want that Bella twin tang. He's wants to impress by being champ-champ.

Benavidez is spot on. Indeed, Dillashaw had already voiced his aspiration to fight Max Holloway. I wonder if his debacle will discourage future title fights involving fighters who have never fought in a given weight class before? Probably not but the fight was only close in Dillashaw's mind, so I have no interest in seeing them run it back immediately.

Speaking with FloCombat recently, Benavidez plead with Cejudo to stick to his word and save the flyweight division by actually sticking around and defending his belt.

Benavidez and Cejudo fought once before at The Ultimate Fighter 24 Finale, with Benavidez taking home a split decision. It was the last time Cejudo lost, and with his win over Dustin Ortiz, Benavidez would presumably be next in line for a title fight, if Cejudo does stick around at flyweight. And though the allure of becoming a double champ simply by beating the man you just destroyed in 32 seconds is probably very enticing, Benavidez implores Cejudo to do right by the division. He even goes so far as to throw shade at his former training partner, Dillashaw, saying that if the roles were reversed, he wouldn’t have given Cejudo a rematch so Cejudo shouldn’t give T.J. one.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/1/...for-the-division-and-forego-chasing-135-title

No more titleshot for this guy though.

Back