Has anyone changed his stance on the Cejudo Dillashaw stoppage?

Lawblaw

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
When the fight happened I just thought it was a good stoppage and TJ was being a sore loser

But now that I've thought about it, I think it was stopped a bit too early.

Don't get me wrong, TJ was getting murked and Henry was definitely landing some good shots but he's a durable fighter and a world champion, ideally it should've went longer than that.

at that point from what I saw it wouldn't have mattered. TJ would have gotten blitzed regardless and he doesn't have matt hughes shoulders

Not our call it’s the refs.... it’s iver, let it go

Nope, thought the stoppage was good when it happened and same today. If you get dropped then take a bunch of unanswered shots without moving the ref is going to stop the fight unless it's Mario Yamasaki or he's just fucking up.

Last edited:
Saw it live...thought it was a good stoppage.

Saw the replays....now I'm not so sure of that.

Nope, thought the stoppage was good when it happened and same today. If you get dropped then take a bunch of unasnwered shots without moving the ref is going to stop the fight unless it's Mario Yamasaki or he's just fucking up.
Agreed.

Felt bad for post-fight Henry having to answer for the ref’s call as if it were his own

Fair stoppage

Tj got destroyed.

henry-no-likey-snakes.gif

It was stopped a bit too early but it didn't change the result.

Fighters are the the cage to punch and get punched in the face, it's not just TJ any other fighter would have wanted the fight to go on if they were in the same position. He wasn't out, he was attempting to improve his position.

The stoppage was more then acceptable Dana and TJ are being salty at not having a definitive end to the fly weight division

He didn’t get robbed, but it was an early stoppage. 20 seconds more could have alleviated any doubts. I don’t blame Tj for being upset. I would be upset if I was Henry too. I would want to win fairly.

Could have given a bit more time, yes. In theory.
In reality, TJ looked bad and he was done from the first exchange. Maybe ref did him a favor by stopping the fight in the controversial fashion, instead of letting Cejudo riding him for the next five minutes with little to no answer.

I changed my stance. I used to think that fight was called when it should have been. However, after listening to TJ's whining, I now think it should have gone on longer so that the snot got beat out of the cry baby.

Last edited:
No. Why would I? It was early but not the worst stoppage in the world.

I thought it was a good stoppage then, and I still do. TJ was done.

Early stoppage. No doubt about that. Henry was missing with his last 3-4 punches. TJ had time to regain composure, but the ref already stopped the fight.

Saw it live...thought it was a good stoppage.

Saw the replays....now I'm not so sure of that.
So how many unblocked punches should get a stoppage. At what point does not blocking or dodging anything being thrown at you while also not countering or even trying to is enough? Hnery landed over 15 punches and didn't miss a single one. TJ grabbed for a leg while eating 3 to 4 punches clean that he never tried to stop or block from coming in. TJ was in auto pilot and the fight was over. That wasnt intelligently defending himself. Fighters shouldn't need to die in the cage for you to think it was a far stoppage. Fighters are never going to be happy with a stoppage unless they are out cold. They train hard and have confidence in their abilities. However every time they go out cold thats a little bit to a lot of brain damage. That is not a good standard to set for how a fight should end. TJ wasn't defending himself in an intelligent way so the fight was over.

Dana would not have said a word about the stoppage, if it didn't dawn on him at the conclusion of the fight, that he probably made a mistake trading DJ off after all.

Back