A closer look at Cerrone's record

binny

I'll beat your ass if you jump on my couch.
@Brown
Reaction score
Sorry it's been so long since I posted anything about WEC related stuff. Life has been hectic.

I've seen plenty of threads on Cowboy's finishes/wins record. I've read everything from GOAT to washed up Journeyman. Cowboy isn't all time GOAT but I couldn't believe how low some people viewed him.

Cerrone has 11 losses and no wins in title bouts. Not GOAT. But, of those 11 losses, 7 of them were to former WEC/UFC champions. At lightweight Cerrone has only suffered defeat to 1 non-champ (Nate) and secured 4 wins over former champs (McCullough, Varner, Alvarez, Bendo) although the Bendo fight was questionable. With 4 of his losses to 2 champs and 2 of his wins being avenging(ish) over former losses, Cerrone was only ever unable to beat THREE people at 155 (Nate, Pettis, RDA). Over 30 WEC/UFC bouts.

I refuse to look at that and think "journeyman". When you couple these facts with his overall win/finish/bonus records, he really is one of the absolute best 155 has ever seen, just not THE best or GOAT. Put some respect on his name.

Good analysis

anyone that says he's a journeyman is strictly a noob

He holds the record for most wins and finishes in the UFC.

People who say he's washed up or just a journeyman is either as @Klaavical said a noob, or they're just a Cerrone hater.

I don't see alot of hate for Cowboy tbh. I think he is rated appropriately. He was never the best at any one point in his career, but has been a top 10 for longer than probably anybody else.

I'm pumped for his fight with Conor (If that actually happens.)

I hope he gets another shot at the belt.
I'm not saying he will win it, but that would be a good end to his run.

He really does win in spectacular fashion way too much to be considered a journeyman. He has stopped many propsect hype trains in their tracks too.

If people praise guys like BJ, Henderson and Coutes guy with so many losses I think Cerrone deserve called an all time great, in my opinion he is a legend, it such a shame that is very likely he won't win any ufc belt

beaten barboza, hernandez, alvarez, henderson, stephens, cowboy oliveira, matt brown, rick story. his resume is pretty outstanding.

Cerrone is one of the best ever. He has great standup, great jiu jitsu and very good TDD. He's only lost to very special fighters and Nate who is special in his own way

Sorry it's been so long since I posted anything about WEC related stuff. Life has been hectic.

I've seen plenty of threads on Cowboy's finishes/wins record. I've read everything from GOAT to washed up Journeyman. Cowboy isn't all time GOAT but I couldn't believe how low some people viewed him.

Cerrone has 11 losses and no wins in title bouts. Not GOAT. But, of those 11 losses, 7 of them were to former WEC/UFC champions. At lightweight Cerrone has only suffered defeat to 1 non-champ (Nate) and secured 4 wins over former champs (McCullough, Varner, Alvarez, Bendo) although the Bendo fight was questionable. With 4 of his losses to 2 champs and 2 of his wins being avenging(ish) over former losses, Cerrone was only ever unable to beat THREE people at 155 (Nate, Pettis, RDA). Over 30 WEC/UFC bouts.

I refuse to look at that and think "journeyman". When you couple these facts with his overall win/finish/bonus records, he really is one of the absolute best 155 has ever seen, just not THE best or GOAT. Put some respect on his name.

Good post brother,

Agree with all of it.

Lots of hespect for Cowboy. They broke the mold when they made him.

I would put money on Cowboy Vs Conor tbh.

Even with Cerrone's rep in big fight.

To me, he's pretty much a textbook "B-level Hall of Very Good" fighter.

I believe someone called him a future HOFer on Saturday, and he might be a HOF, but only on the strength of tenure and number of fights with the company.

I like him whether he ever wears a UFC belt or not. I always have and unless the man pops I always will like him and continue to be a fan. Win or lose.

Cowboy has had a great career. You don't stay in the top ten as long as he has being a journeyman. Plus the guy was the most active fighter on the roster for man years as well. He's done a lot for the UFC and he deserves the Conor payday.

I don't even understand how one could be an MMA fan and not be a big Cerrone fan.

anyone that says he's a journeyman is strictly a noob

As always it depends on his latest fight. After the Till fight he was a can according to a lot of people on here. Now after his last fight a lot of people are picking him to beat Conor.

I used to be a big fan but when I learned he grabs random fans wife’s and gfs I was fan no more
Thats unacceptable dick bully move imo

Actually he lost a fight on Justified.

I don't see alot of hate for Cowboy tbh. I think he is rated appropriately. He was never the best at any one point in his career, but has been a top 10 for longer than probably anybody else.

I'm pumped for his fight with Conor (If that actually happens.)
Not sure how long Cerrone was ranked top 10, but Shogun was for over a decade, then fell to 11th before getting back into the top 10 shortly thereafter

Back