Would Catchweight Superfights be as entertaining?

Zebo

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I hate the whole Champ Champ craze. It will never work, hard enough to stay healthy and negotiate for one title, but 2 titles basically means one division is on hold until they relinquish more than likely the lighter weight title.
Why not just have Catchweight Superfights at a weight in the middle of the two classes, or agreed upon weight to see who best fighter in those 2 classes. Even without a title on the line everyone would still have wanted to see Stipe vs DC. UFC 101 basically did that when Silva beat Forrest, except Forrest had just lost his LHW title.

no, it wont be as exciting. viewers are more interested when something is on the line.

Youre right, champ champ isnt viable, perfectly evidenced by DC being stripped. No need for catchweights necessarily though, just make non title fights at whatever class. Or give the victorious challenger the option of what belt they want to keep but you cant keel two unless your name is Young Cerrone.

People going down a weight class from the one they already cut weight to make is just stupid. Tj looked like a frail 7 year old girl in there that doesnt eat.

Let us never forget the original OG and first ever champ champ, the first man to hold two belts at the same time;

NWmHVQv.png

2m32rcw.jpg

Clogging up 2 divisions for a fight that really doesn't mean anything is counterproductive and likely wouldn't draw nearly as much because nothing is on the line. Terrible idea

Why not? Some of us watch fighting because of fighting, not because of you stand single file in your weight division and patiently wait for your shitle tot.

Clogging up 2 divisions for a fight that really doesn't mean anything is counterproductive and likely wouldn't draw nearly as much because nothing is on the line. Terrible idea

See your point, definitely would hurt marketing to casuals, but honestly don't think it would matter to hardcore fans. I think any interclass fight is never a good idea, but can't see this trend stopping anytime soon. I look at catchweight Superfights as the lesser of two evils. The champ champ thing is a total failure in my opinion. At least with catchweight it doesn't clog up the divisions the same way as champ champ, since both fighters could defend their respective belt in their next fight.

Who ever loses that fight won’t be seen as a legit champ
If TJ doesn’t beat cejudo it’s hard to see him as a legit champ

The biggest problem with the "champ champ" craze is that no one seems willing to fight often enough to defend both their titles. Champions seem more than content to sit on the throne for 8 months at a time. Khabib should have fought again by now. TWood? Forget about it. Max should have a fight scheduled already.

Instead we have a bunch of dudes who get the belt and wait. Whether they intend to or not, they tend to wait until the clear number 2 loses a fight, which muddies the waters.

Back