TJ/Cejudo reminds me of Frankie/Gray

johncola

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Both wrestler vs wrestler fights. TJ and Frankie are light on their feet with good footwork, while Cejudo and Maynard are the stronger and more powerful wrestlers. TJ and Frankie both got hurt in similar looking ways, where they were rocked multiple times but still conscious and clearly wanting to continue.

What's the difference between these fights? Frankie was allowed to continue, BOTH times, and he won both fights. TJ wasn't given that opportunity.

TJ should have been given the chance to fight on. I agree with Dana when he says stop putting the local inexperienced refs in the main event. Dan Mirgliotta should have been in there.

mirgliotta wasnt done yelling at hardy .. spare him

Yep, very similar. TJ, like Frankie, was still moving around and intelligently defending himself which means by the rules the fight shouldn't have been stopped. Frankie was more out of it than TJ was even.

Yep, very similar. TJ, like Frankie, was still moving around and intelligently defending himself which means by the rules the fight shouldn't have been stopped. Frankie was more out of it than TJ was even.
He was rolling into a turtle with Henry raining down punishment.

20 unanswered shots to the head.
After a huge weight cut.

Keep grasping at straws, but this was not premature. He lost one fight, but it saved his career.

TJ should have been given the chance to fight on. I agree with Dana when he says stop putting the local inexperienced refs in the main event. Dan Mirgliotta should have been in there.
I’ll take Cormier’s opinion on this dtoppage than Dana’s or a random sherdogger’s

20 unanswered shots to the head.
After a huge weight cut.

Keep grasping at straws, but this was not premature. He lost one fight, but it saved his career.
Not unanswered; he was moving constantly. Frankie took more punishment than TJ did.

Refs shouldn't be thinking about weight cuts in the middle of fights. And Cejudo also cuts a lot.

I don't think it was a horrible stoppage, but it was incorrect. I'm not even close to being comfortably convinced that TJ was done. Consciousness, will, skill; fighters need all three to be capable of continuing. And TJ had all 3. He was conscious, wanted to continue, and wasn't outclassed in the skills dept, in that he got caught by a single shot behind the ear rather than being consistently outstruck.

Not unanswered; he was moving constantly. Frankie took more punishment than TJ did.

Refs shouldn't be thinking about weight cuts in the middle of fights. And Cejudo also cuts a lot.

I don't think it was a horrible stoppage, but it was incorrect. I'm not even close to being comfortably convinced that TJ was done. Consciousness, will, skill; fighters need all three to be capable of continuing. And TJ had all 3. He was conscious, wanted to continue, and wasn't outclassed in the skills dept, in that he got caught by a single shot behind the ear rather than being consistently outstruck.

I only watched it when it was live, but iirc, TJ did a face plant when he was rolling around, and started to grab for the ref's legs after the ref stopped it - he may recover quickly, but there is no question he was on queer street. Even after he stood up to complain to the ref, he definitely was on wobbly legs and didn't seem all there.

Bottom line is he got too cocky and underestimated Henry.

I’ll take Cormier’s opinion on this dtoppage than Dana’s or a random sherdogger’s
Like DC knows anything. Dude is suffering from CTE as you can already tell his voice and the way he talks is slower and much more dumbed down. If you go by what DC says, then you stop the fight after the first big strike, since the other fighter will be 'hurt'.

Excellent stoppage. Henry would have ended TJ's life without referee intervention and that is a fact.

Both wrestler vs wrestler fights. TJ and Frankie are light on their feet with good footwork, while Cejudo and Maynard are the stronger and more powerful wrestlers. TJ and Frankie both got hurt in similar looking ways, where they were rocked multiple times but still conscious and clearly wanting to continue.

What's the difference between these fights? Frankie was allowed to continue, BOTH times, and he won both fights. TJ wasn't given that opportunity.

Watch both fights again.

Pay close attention.

There is a 3rd man in the cage with the combatants.

It was a different man in each fight that you’re asking about.

Dan almost got Glover killed, he definitely would've shit reffed TJ into an opportunity to recover. Herzog, Herb or Beltran should've been in there.

Scrambling desperately and eating more shots isn't answering.
Throwing a counter is answering.
Actually stopping the onslaught is intelligent defense.

TJ was doing neither. He was moving, but he was getting hit. He took more than 20 punches to the head in 30 seconds without connecting with a counter and without securing a clinch.

I'd also say refs should absolutely be thinking about CTE in the middle of fights, and dehydration has an impact on CTE.

I'm not a fan of either fighter--I am still convinced MM beat Henry--but I don't want to see someone's career or life fucked up because some kids on the internet don't want to be wrong about predicting a fight's outcome.

Back