A level athlete definition...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
What does this mean to you? I always assume it's a ripped and muscular person who has fast twitch muscle as well as endurance while also being flexible and coordinated.

From look perspective any black guy with low body fat or any white guy who has an Ivan Drago genetics seem to get that label. I just don't understand the definition of a class athlete.

Is it genetics or diverse training of all physical attribute while sporting a low body fat?

You only qualify if you play/played basketball or football and it means you can smash the UFC HW division with 20 minutes training just like Hardy didn't

It's not Greg Hardy anyway.

@Leinster Rugby I'm watching the highlights of r6 of the Heiniken atm, a lot more of them would class as A Level athletes for me.
Small q for Leinster.

I think genetics play a huge factor here. It's not necessarily about body fat though. Some of the best athletes in the world have high body fat. Example: samoans. They are like 30x more likely to play in the nfl than any other race.

I think a level means a guy who is capable of competing in multiple sports at a high level. For instance-deion sanders. There's clearly a little separation between ufc's top athletes and the big 4. But that's partly because mma takes a lot more skills whereas full athletic ability can carry you pretty well in a sport like football. The top athletes have always been the ones who could transition to other sports and play at a high level. It's no coincidence that guys like daniel cormier and brock lesnar can transition into mma and have success. They are great athletes and competitors.

Athleticism always has straights of speed, agility, balance, strength, flexibility, eye and coordination, and explosiveness. There's also that it factor that some athletes posses.Some examples would be conor mcgregor and israel adesanya.

Sherdog’s definition of A-level:

A-level = when you’re dominant in a specific sport and as long as you stay in said sport.

A-level = when you were dominant in sport A. and move to sport B. and remain dominant.

Not A-level = when you were dominant in sport A. and move to sport B. and fail to win every fight on path to be a potential GOAT.

I think genetics play a huge factor here. It's not necessarily about body fat though. Some of the best athletes in the world have high body fat. Example: samoans. They are like 30x more likely to play in the nfl than any other race.

I think a level means a guy who is capable of competing in multiple sports at a high level. For instance-deion sanders. There's clearly a little separation between ufc's top athletes and the big 4. But that's partly because mma takes a lot more skills whereas full athletic ability can carry you pretty well in a sport like football. The top athletes have always been the ones who could transition to other sports and play at a high level. It's no coincidence that guys like daniel cormier and brock lesnar can transition into mma and have success. They are great athletes and competitors.

Athleticism always has straights of speed, agility, balance, strength, flexibility, eye and coordination, and explosiveness. There's also that it factor that some athletes posses.Some examples would be conor mcgregor and israel adesanya.
Did you really just say MMA takes far more skills then the big 4 sports? Dude even as a fighter that might have been one of the most shortsighted things I have ever read on this place. This screams "I only really follow MMA and havent really done many sports at a competitive level". There's a reason Brendan Schaub couldnt hold a practice squad spot on an NFL roster but can be a fringe top 10 HW. Hint: it wasn't his skills

not every A level athlete is ripped and muscular because not every sport requires the athlete to be so.

"A level athlete" isn't defined by anything but whoever is sitting at the elite of an extremely competitive sport.

What does this mean to you? I always assume it's a ripped and muscular person who has fast twitch muscle as well as endurance while also being flexible and coordinated.

From look perspective any black guy with low body fat or any white guy who has an Ivan Drago genetics seem to get that label. I just don't understand the definition of a class athlete.

Is it genetics or diverse training of all physical attribute while sporting a low body fat?
vlcsnap-2019-01-19-08h19m59s240.pngsteven-graham.jpg

not every A level athlete is ripped and muscular because not every sport requires the athlete to be so.

"A level athlete" isn't defined by anything but whoever is sitting at the elite of an extremely competitive sport.
Not true. Tom Brady is an Elite football player but he is a marginal at best athlete.

To be an elite Athlete you need to display exceptional ability in: Speed, Strength, Explosiveness, Agility, Hand eye coordination, Foot eye coordination, and Reaction time relative to other athletes of similar build/size. Example brock lesnar runs a 4.65 40, normally thats not anything special but the fact that he is a D-Lineman and the average 40 times for a LINEBACKER is 4.71, thats what displays his elite athleticism.

if he is one of the best in his craft, and that craft is an athletic sport, then how is he not A level athlete?
Because there is a lot more to the sport then athleticism. He has Elite skills, Elite football IQ, His throwing technique is Flawless, his decision making is unmatched, hes calm and cool underpressue and he is very accurate. Does he have Elite Athletic traits? Yes, is he an elite athlete? Not even close. compare him and Lamar Jackson and tell me Brady is an Elite athlete.

When you look up A level athlete in the dictionary, there should be a picture of Yoel Romero beside it.

Because there is a lot more to the sport then athleticism. He has Elite skills, Elite football IQ, His throwing technique is Flawless, his decision making is unmatched, hes calm and cool underpressue and he is very accurate. Does he have Elite Athletic traits? Yes, is he an elite athlete? Not even close. compare him and Lamar Jackson and tell me Brady is an Elite athlete.
you have a pretty defined and limited view of what an athlete is. An athlete is not someone athletic, yes? Understand the difference here. An athlete is a practicer of a sport. An athletic person is a strong, ripped individual. The goal of the athlete isn't to be athletic, but to thrive in their sport.

Not everything that agrees with your eyes is the truth.

you have a pretty defined and limited view of what an athlete is. An athlete is not someone athletic, yes? Understand the difference here. An athlete is a practicer of a sport. An athletic person is a strong, ripped individual. The goal of the athlete isn't to be athletic, but to thrive in their sport.

Not everything that agrees with your eyes is the truth.
Dude are you really gonna get technical with me? Clearly when I say Elite Athlete I'm talking purely his athleticism.

What does this mean to you?
It's meaningless babble used by some fans to denigrate athletes who are not the elite athletes of that fan's favorite sport.

Dude are you really gonna get technical with me? Clearly when I say Elite Athlete I'm talking purely his athleticism.
I'm gonna get technical with you because "A level athlete" has to refer to athletes and not athletic individuals. what's an athlete? is it someone that's ripped or is it someone that competes in a sport?

that you and others get to say Tom Brady isn't an A level athlete speaks volumes to how dogshit this term is. You either apply the words you're using correctly or you're inventing a new language.

Speed/strength/endurance when it comes to physical traits.

However one also needs skill, sport specific iq, and sport specific roughness.

>Fast Twitch Muscles
>Endurance

Different types of athletes suited for different things. Talk about various "level" athletes seems simpleminded when serious and more often than not people are joking when they bring it up here I think.
Only time I think its apt to talk about "levels" of athletes is when somebody is a real freak that stands out. Like Randleman casually jumping like he is on the moon

Back