Questionable Stoppages

DaysOfThunder

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Is it just me or are some of these refs making serious mistakes? I thought Cerone was kicking the shit out of Hernandez but it was still a scramble and don't get me wrong, I love Cerone. I can see where a ref might stop that or let it go till a tap or a KO. Hernandez is a young fighter with great recovery. I felt the TJ stoppage was premature. He might have been dazed but he was still rolling and changing positions, possibly going for a single leg. He was not knocked down 4 times like DC said. It is a super champ fight and a ref stoppage has to be more definite. TJ has good recovery and was not out and he did not tap. He got tagged with a few solid shots but the rest were arm punches. What's important is that he was still moving. This time I agree with Dana. What about you?

Bring this man back STAT
rosenthal333.jpg

The problem with T.J. wasn’t that he wasn’t defending or fighting back. It was how many shots he ate and how many times he clearly got rocked in a short span. That’s scary shit for a ref to see

The problem with T.J. wasn’t that he wasn’t defending or fighting back. It was how many shots he ate and how many times he clearly got rocked in a short span. That’s scary shit for a ref to see
I get that but a good ref is supposed to know his fighters and what they can take. Cody hit TJ with his best shot and rocked his world and TJ still came back and won that fight. The accumulation of unanswered punches should not be the sole reason for stoppage. It all comes down to how badly is a fighter hurt and can he come back from it. TJ was not hurt as badly as he was against Cody and this was the very beginning of the fight where seasoned fighters with good recovery have a chance at a comeback. TJ was immediately up and in refs face protesting the stoppage. That's not someone who has stopped intelligently defending himself.

you're right. i want to see these fuckers fight until they're face down on the canvas with their toes twitching or bleeding out their ears like bobby lashley vs chad griggs

Ive noticed fights have been getting stop much earlier lately at that grey point where a recovery is posible but them being left brutally kod is also pretty likely.

I get that but a good ref is supposed to know his fighters and what they can take. Cody hit TJ with his best shot and rocked his world and TJ still came back and won that fight. The accumulation of unanswered punches should not be the sole reason for stoppage. It all comes down to how badly is a fighter hurt and can he come back from it. TJ was not hurt as badly as he was against Cody and this was the very beginning of the fight where seasoned fighters with good recovery have a chance at a comeback. TJ was immediately up and in refs face protesting the stoppage. That's not someone who has stopped intelligently defending himself.
It’s a judgement call and you’re acting like there is a clear answer. Who knows maybe the ref saved a few years of TJs career tonight. I’m not for early stoppages myself but that was really wasn’t that early. I mean he got rocked like 3 times in about ten seconds...

It’s a judgement call and you’re acting like there is a clear answer. Who knows maybe the ref saved a few years of TJs career tonight. I’m not for early stoppages myself but that was really wasn’t that early. I mean he got rocked like 3 times in about ten seconds...
The point is, he was still moving. To me it was a premature stoppage and a bad judgement call. If I was getting beat up but felt I could still fight, I would have been pissed. All that training and being denied a shot at recovery. I guess you've never seen guys get blitzed and then recover and win their fights? TJ's immediate response showed that he was not as damaged as the ref thought. Did you miss him getting right up into the refs face? That did not look like a beaten fighter.

The point is, he was still moving. To me it was a premature stoppage and a bad judgement call. If I was getting beat up but felt I could still fight, I would have been pissed. All that training and being denied a shot at recovery. I guess you've never seen guys get blitzed and then recover and win their fights? TJ's immediate response showed that he was not as damaged as the ref thought. Did you miss him getting right up into the refs face? That did not look like a beaten fighter.
He also did the stanky leg while he was talking to the ref. I get the point. You just don’t get the counter point. Fighters eating to much damage in a short time can get a fight stopped. That’s a thing in combat sports

Jesus - and if the ref let it go you guys would be complaining about late stoppages.

Henry was using tj's head as bobble.

Throw in the dumb and arrogant weight cut to 125 and his brain and body was not prepared to take any type of damage.

I thought the ref was gonna step in slightly earlier when he turned away/put his back to Henry and couldn't see the punches coming but he managed to keep turning while eating a few shots, then managed to face Henry and grab a leg, that bought him a few more seconds.

Sure he might been able to take a few more unanswered shots but I think the outcome would have been the same. At the end of the day, the ref made the right call imho

He also did the stanky leg while he was talking to the ref. I get the point. You just don’t get the counter point. Fighters eating to much damage in a short time can get a fight stopped. That’s a thing in combat sports
Sadly, they are starting to implement amateur rules, especially in New York. UFC is in the hurt business. You are expected to get hurt but should be allowed to come back, if there is a chance. It's clear when someone completely stops defending himself and he should be saved but this fight was not the case and that's my bitch with your so called judgement call. I call it bad ref!

Nope, scrambling equates to defending. He was in trouble but in no way finished. Destroyed a fight imo.

Even if it was an early stoppage (which it wasn't), do we really think that a dazed Dillashaw was going to single leg an Olympic gold medalist?

Back