Why are people hating on Dillashaw for going down in weight to fight Cejudo, TJ is taking the risk?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
A lot of people say that a true champion should go up a weight class to challenge another champion and not down but I don't agree with that always.

If a fighter cuts weight to make their current weight class than they are big for their weight class and going up in weight isn't as hard as they are closer to their natural weight. Think DC going from LHW to HW. If a fighter is cutting weight to realistically go down 2 weight classes, their normal weight class and then down to their new opponents they are taking a risk in not making weight, losing cardio, strength, size advantage, speed, stamina, and their chin's ability to take punches can fade.

So, for Dillashaw to go down to fight Cejudo, Dillashaw is taking a lot of risks. He already cuts to make Bantamweight and now has to make an extreme cut to make Flyweight which is below Bantamweight.

So, I'd say hat's off to Dillashaw for taking this fight, Henry is fighting at the weight that he's already comfortable at and also cuts to make and Dillashaw is risking a lot coming down.

Agree/Disagree?

I don't think that's the only reason he's hated

My only beef is him holding up the division is in, same as with all these "champ champs".

MY actual real beef is with Dana and UFC management for encouraging and allowing this clown show.

There are hundreds of fighters in the UFC and they all want a shot at the title and the money that comes with it.

Cuz TJ's a douche.

Great fighter, but total douche.

A lot of people say that a true champion should go up a weight class to challenge another champion and not down but I don't agree with that always.

If a fighter cuts weight to make their current weight class than they are big for their weight class and going up in weight isn't as hard as they are closer to their natural weight. Think DC going from LHW to HW. If a fighter is cutting weight to realistically go down 2 weight classes, their normal weight class and then down to their new opponents they are taking a risk in not making weight, losing cardio, strength, size advantage, speed, stamina, and their chin's ability to take punches can fade.

So, for Dillashaw to go down to fight Cejudo, Dillashaw is taking a lot of risks. He already cuts to make Bantamweight and now has to make an extreme cut to make Flyweight which is below Bantamweight.

So, I'd say hat's off to Dillashaw for taking this fight, Henry is fighting at the weight that he's already comfortable at and also cuts to make and Dillashaw is risking a lot coming down.

Agree/Disagree?
Actually he securing ppv points for his next fight by not defending his title

Its like they're saying fuck You DJ after he passed on the fight.

Risking what? He is trying to win a belt without any risks. Cejudo will not hurt or finish him. If TJ loses he can just say it's because of a weight cut and his belt is not on the line.

Basically he is not risking anything.

Yeah I agree with that. He's going to new territory and fighting the champ. He has no idea if his body will just shut down on him or he'll come in flat and get his ass kicked. The risk is his, as he's the big favourite.

I have to respect anyone who will put out a challenge and chase a guy to his own weight class to make a fight happen. Going up or down... there's big risk with either.

Making weight isnt a "challenge" for a fighter, i mean, he did, but we want to watch them fight, not cut weight, and some pay for it...for all i care they could fight with NO weight cut and we probably end up with better fights...the challenge is in fighting the bigger guys, not the smaller ones.

Not hating on TJ for it, just not a fan of it, hoping Cejudo pulls the upset.

People are hating on him for going down in weight? Really?

I don't hate him for doing it, but it's funny that he looked down instead of up for a challenge

For a guy who's saying he wants to be the best ever you would've thought he'd go for the reigning FW champion on a massive win streak and knocking out everyone he fights, as opposed to the newly crowned champion a weight below him

I haven't seen many, but it's most likely leftover butthurt MM fans saying he couldnt ever make the weight/too big when he called out MM.

I don't hate him for doing it, but it's funny that he looked down instead of up for a challenge

For a guy who's saying he wants to be the best ever you would've thought he'd go for the reigning FW champion on a massive win streak and knocking out everyone he fights, as opposed to the newly crowned champion a weight below him

He's stated that he wants to go up to Featherweight afterward and fight Max to be a 3 weight champ, so there's that.

He's stated that he wants to go up to Featherweight afterward and fight Max to be a 3 weight champ, so there's that.

He's been calling out the Flyweight champ for years, he's only recently mentioned Holloway while he's about to compete 2 weight classes below and knows he doesn't have to fight him

You don't become Undisputed Airport champion without getting a few haters in the process

Agree/Disagree?
He is trying to cut the weight to fight the smaller guy. He already cuts to make BW and isn't a small fighter at 135. He is tying up the BW division which has tons of viable contenders and there is no legit reason for it. Originally he wanted to be the one to take out DJ (Still bigger guy going after smaller guy aka Pussy) but DJ lost to Cejudo. Henry has no defenses yet and TJ has one. DJ moving up was the only legit reason for a fight with TJ. He comes off very douchey as well and isn't risking anything. He actively lobbied against Cruz & Cody getting a title shot but never wanted to defend against anyone else. I am not a fan of Henry and frankly he isn't the best FlyW IMO as he lost to DJ both times. TJ needs to defend the BW belt and if he wins at FlyW he will walk away like Nunes is trying to do with Women's FW.

Back