JDS has a pretty good case for UFC HW GOAT...

Bobbybackpack

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've noticed that for some reason, whenever people debate about the HW GOAT, no one mentions JDS despite his impressive record. I often see him get left out of top 5 lists too, which amazes me. Almost like he is hated.

If you look at his record. He only has 5 losses. 1 happened early in his career and 2 against guys he beat.

This are his accomplishments:

- Beat CAIN (KO round 1)
- Beat STIPE
- Beat WERDUM (KO round 1)
- Beat Frank Mir (TKO)
- Beat Mark Hunt (TKO)
- Beat Roy Nelson
- Beat Shane Carwin
- Beat Gonzaga (KO round 1)
- Beat Cro Cop
- Beat Struve (who has a won over Stipe) in under a minute.
- Beat Rothwell
- 1 title defense (3 is the UFC HW record)

Now he has lost to Overeem, Cain x2 and Stipe. But it' also worth noting that he has wins over and Cain and Stipe (only guy to do so) and he beat Werdum too.

Last edited:
The inability to beat Cain and being completely figured out with no answer is a big hit to that claim.

And stipe fucking hunted him in the second fight.

I see your<{cruzshake}> case, however GOAT ? nope

Last edited:
2n9ksu9.jpg

Maybe underappreciated. Not in discussion for HW GOAT though.

The inability to beat Cain and being completely figured out with no answer is a big hit to that claim.

But he did beat Cain, which means he was at least able to beat Cain... simple logic

You are just bringing up losses like they are 100% proof that fighters cannot be GOAT of certain division if they haave losses

DC fucking destroyed Stipe

Cain got sonned bunch of times

So did whoever else has claim for UFC HW GOAT

The only knock against him is the failed drug test and the noticeable difference he looks now compared to 4-5 years ago.

Easily Best HW run all time though.

Easily the best HW resume not counting losses. Slightly below Werdum overall though, the HW GOAT.

It depends what you're looking for, Super strong competition and half decent longevity. If you ignore the 2 cain fights he has a half decent case. If you're talking about a fighter in his prime. The Cain that beat JDS is hard to see losing to anyone. He evens out to a prime Fedor but doesn't take the spot because hes constantly injured

Two complete and devastating losses against your main/closest peer in time is a pretty big negative against him towards that particular claim.

I suppose someone could argue his body of work is extensive enough that it overrides that factor, however.

Can't be GOAT with those losses man. Legend? Sure. GOAT? Nah.

Then who is the GOAT? Is it Stipe? DC KO'd him in 1 round. Is it Cain? JDS KO'd him in 1 round and Werdum tapped him. Is it Werdum? Stipe and JDS both KO'd him in 1 round. Is it DC? He may be undefeated at HW but a LHW made him his bitch twice. How can you be the baddest man on the planet when a LHW has your number? Is it Fedor? Is his biggest win even anywhere near as good as someone like JDS? He also got tapped by Werdum and KO'd by a MW.

He has the best resume of wins for a UFC HW IMHO. Cain is likely the actual best fighter out of any UFC HW ever but his ridiculous string of injuries/rematches prevented him from having as many quality wins.

Stipe's resume is a tad overrated IMHO and I think people put too much stock in his "title defense record" which is only 3 ffs. JDS' streak to winning the title > Stipe's by a lot IMO

Back