What is up with these David and Goliath WW fights?

wilKO

Green, White & Gold belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So UFC have made 2 WW fights which have a crazy size differential.

Wonderboy vs Pettis and Till vs Masvidal

Wonderboy is huge and has a win over the MW Champion. He is tall and rangey and he's fighting a guy who cut to FW because he wasn't finding enough success at LW. So a big WW vs a FW/LW.

Masvidal is very talented but he should be going to LW. He's too small and not good enough for the elite WWs. Who does he get? Darren Till who calls himself a LHW. So we have a LW/WW vs a MW at least.

Anyone else find these matches very odd and borderline mismatches based on size alone?

Nothing UFC does anymore is logical

Apparently the Bible is the best selling book of all time..

OFALLTIME!!!

Wonderboy isn't "huge". He's actually on the smaller side of WW's, he walks around like 185 and weighs around 180 in the cage. Smaller than a lot of guys actually. Still a big size gap between him and pettis though.

I agree on Till though. It's on the record that he's well north of 200+lbs. He's a mega-cutter who should just move up.

Might put $ on Masvidal.

Pettis Vs Wonderboy is intruging.

Masvidal and Pettis signed on the dotted line so apparently the size difference is irrelevant to them so no I don’t think it’s a mismatch because of size or a mismatch at all.

I don't understand Petis's thinking in moving to WW, but I also don't think it's the UFC's responsibility to pair him up with size appropriate WWs. They have weight classes for a reason. You are supposed to be able to fight anyone else in that weight class.

David vs. Goliath should have been changed to a DQ when the slingshot came out.

Palestinian Athletic Commission was not on their game that day.

The UFC ran out of Matchups trying to make that monthly nut.

Wonderboy will tko or ko pettis into an early retirement, this fight makes no sense when Pettis had a great fight with Tony

Wonderboy is huge and has a win over the MW Champion. He is tall and rangey and he's fighting a guy who cut to FW because he wasn't finding enough success at LW. So a big WW vs a FW/LW.

Masvidal is very talented but he should be going to LW. He's too small and not good enough for the elite WWs. Who does he get? Darren Till who calls himself a LHW. So we have a LW/WW vs a MW at least.

Anyone else find these matches very odd and borderline mismatches based on size alone?

I agree for the most part but Wonderboy is not huge, he doesn't cut much to make 170 but Pettis has made 145 before so it's still a big difference more so for Pettis being small though rather than Wonderboy being big.

Wonderboy is actually a small WW in terms of mass(he cuts about the same as Gunnar Nelson), he's tall though and has a good reach.

Wonderboy isn't "huge". He's actually on the smaller side of WW's, he walks around like 185 and weighs around 180 in the cage. Smaller than a lot of guys actually. Still a big size gap between him and pettis though.

I agree on Till though. It's on the record that he's well north of 200+lbs. He's a mega-cutter who should just move up.

Yep, Wonderboy weighs about the same as big LWs, he's just tall and has good reach.

the both presumably weigh the same, or close to the same. what are you getting at here?

There have been some better ones at 170. Magny vs RDA, Thatch vs Benson etc...

Wonderboy was kinda big before though. When he fought Matt Brown he was around 200 pounds.

On topic - I have no problem with these matchups whatsoever.

And soon we could get Colby Vs Woodley. I think Colby could fight at 155.

Back