I truly can't get on board the Gregor hype train.

John makfresshi

BJJ, Judo, and 2x Sherdog Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I have watched any and all tape I can find on the giy. He strikes me as a very generic top 15 guy. I don't see the specialness that gets this guy the future champ praise. This weekend isn't even that big of a test, which makes me think the UFC doesn't trust him to beat top talent either. Id take a good majority of the top 15 over him h2h as well. I believe he has a good career ahead of him, but he probably loses to guys like Teymur and Hernandez who have put on much better performances in the cage to date. What am i missing sherbros?

Khabib would be khabibed by him. He is that good of a wrestler.

He’s definetly been very impressive.

I am surprised how slowly UFC is moving him up the rankings considering how dominant he’s been for the most part.

5-0 in UFC and he’s just now fighting a Yancy level guy.

I thought "Gregor" was a Sherdog nickname for Greg Hardy.

Leaving this thread officially a casual.

He’s definetly been very impressive.

I am surprised how slowly UFC is moving him up the rankings considering how dominant he’s been for the most part.

5-0 in UFC and he’s just now fighting a Yancy level guy.
Yancy is pretty good. Pretty scrappy and probably his toughest test. Not on that train yet.

He's been beating unranked guys to pulps, time to feed him someone like Tony Ferguson or a Diaz brother to build his name up.

I was expecting a joke thread about (Mc)Gregor.

So me too I guess.
Yeah I was thinking ......
“Well shit if you’re just NOW contemplating getting on the McGregor hype train or not, you’re like way way late”

I thought "Gregor" was a Sherdog nickname for Greg Hardy.

Leaving this thread officially a casual.
Gregor_clegane_mountain.jpg

He's been beating unranked guys to pulps, time to feed him someone like Tony Ferguson or a Diaz brother to build his name up.

"Feed him" Tony Ferguson.

Cute.

I have watched any and all tape I can find on the giy. He strikes me as a very generic top 15 guy. I don't see the specialness that gets this guy the future champ praise. This weekend isn't even that big of a test, which makes me think the UFC doesn't trust him to beat top talent either. Id take a good majority of the top 15 over him h2h as well. I believe he has a good career ahead of him, but he probably loses to guys like Teymur and Hernandez who have put on much better performances in the cage to date. What am i missing sherbros?

His wrestling and top control are 100% "special". He is SMOTHERING when he puts guys on their backs (and his TD's are elite too, so he has no issues putting guys on their backs). No lay n pray, he is smashing or advancing, and finishing guys. Yeah his level of competition hasn't been great, but he's been running through them like they are regional scrubs, not UFC fighters. Vince Pichel is a good fighter. Not top 15, but solid. Gregor completely dominated him, Vince had zero answers for the grappling.

Gregor's lone flaw is that he has been to willing to brawl on a couple occasions. Otherwise, he is absolutely the real deal. I honestly don't know how a fight with him and Khabib would play out, he's that good.

"Feed him" Tony Ferguson.

Cute.

He'd have a shot at beating Ferguson right now. Lee controlled Tony and Gregor is a better grappler and wrestler.

Who knows how Gregor does against the elite but 7 through 15 is

7. Gaethje
8. Pettis
9. Vick
10. Diaz
11. Hernandez
12. Trinaldo
13. Hooker
14. Felder

I'd favor Gregor in every one of those fights besides against Gaethje.

Interesting that the Ufc has duel 15s at lw in Gregor and Islam. Both guys have grappling based styles and tons of potential. We shall see who makes it further

He'd have a shot at beating Ferguson right now. Lee controlled Tony and Gregor is a better grappler and wrestler.

Who knows how Gregor does against the elite but 7 through 15 is

7. Gaethje
8. Pettis
9. Vick
10. Diaz
11. Hernandez
12. Trinaldo
13. Hooker
14. Felder

I'd favor Gregor in every one of those fights besides against Gaethje.

Interesting that the Ufc has duel 15s at lw in Gregor and Islam. Both guys have grappling based styles and tons of potential. We shall see who makes it further

Nobody is more aboard the Gregor hype train than I am. I'd also favor him over all those guys plus probably everyone in the top 6 minus Khabib and Tony. Did you watch Gaethje in WSOF? He has a wrestling background, but he can be taken down. Gregor I think puts him on his back and controls him. Same as Poirier, Barboza, etc. The ONLY hesitation is whether Gregor being a relatively small LW would start to matter as he fights higher ranked guys. But I'd even give him a chance vs Khabib. I'd favor Khabib (and Tony), but I'd give Gregor a shot vs either.

Lee controlled Tony for about 2 minutes of round 1, and did no damage. And Tony got guard back at the end of rd 1. Lee is a BEAST grappler when fresh, but his gas tank sucks. That said, I agree Gregor is a better grappler than Lee and definitely has a better gas tank.

I'm not saying Gregor would have no shot vs Tony, my comment was that you don't "feed" Tony Ferguson to anyone. The guy has won 11 in a row with 8 finishes against top competition.

Back