Why did Mighty Mouse come in so lackadaisical against Cejudo

Natesblackshirt

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He was supposed to be the GOAT (lol) but looked uninterested in fighting that night. Was this what happened or was he just overrated and outmatched?

For example, if he sparred Lomachenko like Dillashaw does or someone like that how would he do?

Did he want out of his contract potentially? He also looked SLIGHTLY less cut so maybe he just didn’t train as hard as usual.

I think he looked the same and thought he beat Cejudo the way he scrambled out of those take downs were a thing of beauty. Just a problem when you give it to the judges.

I never watched the fight but it's hard to imagine him being that excited. He already had the most defenses in history and was facing somebody he'd already flattened in the 1st rd. I'd questioned his motivation for a while, couldn't understand why he turned the TJ fight down and also turned down a rematch with Cruz back when Cruz got his belt back.

The “goat” wouldn’t have let a fight vs Henry fkn cujedo go to the judges

he is more interested in gaming than fighting recently which isn't a bad thing

Close fight, could have gone either way.

MM didn't dispute the decision.

I watched the fight today. I can defintely see how Cejudo won 3 rounds.

Who knows? Maybe he wasn't feeling it? That does happen sometimes and he's been on top for so long I don't blame him. Remember when he almost lost to Uncle Creepy? Everyone has off nights.

The sparring session with Loma did not make TJ look good at all, so I'm not sure what the point of bringing that up is. It'd be no different if DJ sparred him. Loma would be throwing punches at 15% with DJ like he was with TJ. MMA striking is nowhere near the level of elite boxers.

It was a really close fight, and I could have seen arguments for both guys winning the fight.

I didn't think DJ looked worse -- more like Cejudo showed a ton of improvements.

He was just looking past his fight, more interested in his twitch stream.

DJ won the majority of rounds via striking while Cejudo's takedowns resulted in a minority of the round taking place on the ground and zero damage to DJ.

By the unified rules scoring criteria DJ won fairly comfortably.

It was a close fight, I don't remember him seeming off, but everyone can have a bad day. The only thing I thought was weird was why didn't he attack Cejudo when his leg was acting up... even if he couldn't tell his coaches should have screamed at him and ended it in round one.

Sometimes you get an L and it's like a big slap in the face. It should piss him off and get him back even better and more motivated. (Plus it was a close decision)

Not sure who's he even going to fight in One Chumpionship, but I'm sure he goes on another long winning streak.

I think he looked the same and thought he beat Cejudo the way he scrambled out of those take downs were a thing of beauty. Just a problem when you give it to the judges.

I never watched the fight but it's hard to imagine him being that excited. He already had the most defenses in history and was facing somebody he'd already flattened in the 1st rd. I'd questioned his motivation for a while, couldn't understand why he turned the TJ fight down and also turned down a rematch with Cruz back when Cruz got his belt back.

This thread was wrapped up in two posts - excellent summary gentlemen!
(Then the jokes and assholes disparaging the GOAT came in <45>)

Conspiracy theory time.

DJ lost on purpose. UFC wouldn't let a champion holding a belt go but they can let anyone else go. Why do you think DJ looked all relaxed and didn't immediately ask for a rematch after the fight? He already knew he was on his way to ONE. All part of the plan.

94cf1e02mksy.jpg

Honestly, I think he got more excited about streaming on twitch than training MMA at that point in life and kinda phoned in his camp & performance thinking he'd make easy work of Cejudo again. There's also the fact that he had shoulder surgery before the fight, then got injured during the fight and had to get another shoulder surgery. So, time is taking a toll on him as well.

I think in general he wants to become a full-time streamer instead of fighting anymore, it would be a good transition that lets him work closer to his family, and not take any more brain damage. The move to ONE and working with them on esports is probably a good step towards that.

He was supposed to be the GOAT (lol) but looked uninterested in fighting that night. Was this what happened or was he just overrated and outmatched?

For example, if he sparred Lomachenko like Dillashaw does or someone like that how would he do?

Did he want out of his contract potentially? He also looked SLIGHTLY less cut so maybe he just didn’t train as hard as usual.
I thought he wasn’t “on” like other times. He seemed to be on auto pilot and wasn’t really putting his strikes and clinching together.

MM had already checked out and knew he was going to another promotion. He probably hardly trained for the fight.

Back