ESPN Front Page trying to explain MMA

Fatback96

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...eorges-st-pierre-jon-jones-other-ufc-fighters
Just from looking at it, seems like an ignorant, lazy attempt to explain MMA to casuals.

Says MMA consists of 4 "moves":
-Strikes
-Kicks (I thought kicks counted as strikes?)
-Chokes
-Joint Locks

Glad to see that the UFC-ESPN era is off to a good start.
tenor.gif

Edit: I guess it could be worse...
giphy.gif

Last edited:
The point in going mainstream is to become mainstream.

So 50% of your criticism is that they didn't group kicks and punches in one larger category?

Your criticism is not off to a good start.

I checked it out and seems like a good way to educate non mma fans. Some historic finishes as examples. I like it

Can't wait for Keith Olbermann to chime in and make some political statement in the process.

I think it's way better than you gave credit for

Soon UFC will count mic skills as a part of MMA.

Fair enough. Maybe I'm being too harsh. Its just MMA is way more complex than what they describe it as.

Boxing is punching.
Basketball is getting a ball through a hoop.
Baseball is hitting a ball with a stick.
Soccer is kicking a ball into a goal.
Football is carrying a ball to the end of a field.
Tennis is hitting a ball back and forth.

It's 2019 and Free Style Fighting is on the front page of ESPN

Baby We Did It

tenor.gif

Fair enough. Maybe I'm being too harsh. Its just MMA is way more complex than what they describe it as.
Well yeah of course. But now maybe those guys at the bar screaming at the TV will know the difference between an armbar and a rear naked choke because they clicked through a slideshow on ESPN.

Well, at least ESPN and the UFC can help ruin MMA together now instead of the UFC having to work so hard to ruin MMA by itself.

Well yeah of course. But now maybe those guys at the bar screaming at the TV will know the difference between an armbar and a rear naked choke because they clicked through a slideshow on ESPN.

upload_2019-1-15_16-9-58.png

If they can list kicks what about knees and elbows? Or Takedowns?

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...eorges-st-pierre-jon-jones-other-ufc-fighters
Just from looking at it, seems like an ignorant, lazy attempt to explain MMA to casuals.

Says MMA consists of 4 "moves":
-Strikes
-Kicks (I thought kicks counted as strikes?)
-Chokes
-Joint Locks

Glad to see that the UFC-ESPN era is off to a good start.
tenor.gif
I feel like posting the "What year is this?!" meme.

This is the shit they tried to teach people back in the TUF 1. Marc Laimon would have these technique breakdowns, then they would make them web exclusive.

Back