37 percent increase in Injury Cancelled fights after Usada

For sure you're right that pure strikers/grapplers coming over to MMA and learning the other aspects are more common. But this isn't unexpected in a new sport. And we know that wrestling is probably the best base for MMA, partially due to cardio and work ethic, and also because they are already experienced weight cutters. And it may also be possible that wrestling is the most difficult aspect of MMA to master (not master the individual sport, but master MMA wrestling).
Naw, I think BJJ is harder. No question wrestling fits the MMA bill though.{<hhh]

I think as we move forward, and we see more kids training BJJ, wrestling, and muay thai from a young age, then we will start to see more pure MMA successes that don't come from other sports.
Naw, doon't believe kiddy martial arts means future success. That's only with things like piano playing.<{poor?}>
Given that the UFC really became super popular around ~2006-2010, we're still a good 5-10 years away from seeing 20 year olds that have been training MMA since 5 years of age.
I'm so easy to troll here, havin' givin' up my back.<{cuts}>

That's a crazy fucking stat.

With all the time and advancement of science you would think that there must be some roids we could let them safely use with no long term bad effects?
Like anything, it's relatively safe in moderation. The problem is that moderation doesn't lend the same short-term performance benefits as abuse.

What year did they implement insurance? That might be why the influx was so large instead of the roids. I recall one year they were pulling out left and right.
Exactly. Correlation doesn't equal causation. Without analyzing all variables, it's easy to infer incorrect conclusions.

Like anything, it's relatively safe in moderation. The problem is that moderation doesn't lend the same short-term performance benefits as abuse.

we sherdoggers should pool our money to start our own league / promotion, where it’s ok to roid but under supervision

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/middleeasy.com/mma-news/usada-steroid-use-injuries-ufc/?amp

• In 2014 there was an average cancellation of 2.7 a card compared to 3.7 a card in 2017
  • In 2014 there was a 28% decrease in injuries as compared to 2017
  • USADA drug testing was introduced in early 2015 & began testing on July 1st
  • Further analysis is required for 2018,2016, 2013 & 2012

I haven’t seen the stats for 2018 and 2019 yet but it seems to be the way it goes.

Usada makes this rough meng.
You could stop being lazy and look up the injury cancellations from 18 and 19 and calculate the percentages yourself

So a pro steroid thread like this is perfectly acceptable, but I make a thread questioning it, and it gets canned. Interesting...

Naw, I think BJJ is harder. No question wrestling fits the MMA bill though.
I can't really speak to pure BJJ vs pure wrestling being more difficult. However, I can tell you that it's easier to learn to defend against a guy like Demian Maia than to defend against Khabib's takedowns. They are both elite level in their respective sports. But submission defense is just easier than takedown defense (both are a lot of hard work, obviously).

But with that said, offensive BJJ is much, much more difficult to master than landing MMA trips/takedowns. So I guess it's a mixed bag.

Naw, doon't believe kiddy martial arts means future success. That's only with things like piano playing.
The vast majority of elite athletes started their sports before the age of 10. Kids training MMA from an early age will DEFINITELY translate into championships.

Duh, these morons are training as if they are still on steroides lol

Train smart and know your body.

I can't really speak to pure BJJ vs pure wrestling being more difficult. However, I can tell you that it's easier to learn to defend against a guy like Demian Maia than to defend against Khabib's takedowns.
I find that interesting. Being Judo based,,, and getting a start.

They are both elite level in their respective sports. But submission defense is just easier than takedown defense (both are a lot of hard work, obviously).
Well beg to differ being a Judo beginner, and losing both of my two initial randori matches. But I'm not really in a position to make any statement.

From what I observe in MMA, the takedown vulnerability stems from the repeat, wash, rinse, repeat type of shortcut drilling the MMA guys do. Judo you have to get into the details all he way down to the technique & all the way up to philosophy,,, MMA is just "Let's brawl, let's get it on......"

But with that said, offensive BJJ is much, much more difficult to master than landing MMA trips/take downs. So I guess it's a mixed bag.
I mentioned just this very impression when I began posting about taking up Judo. The MMA trips & take downs again I feel are from training MMA thinks is dynamic but which is mentally stale.<Prem974>

Dunno. Judo throws work ONLY when you get the whole package together, otherwise slop results which don't work right, and no score. People just don't understand you can't force Judo... you can force someone down outside of good Judo. Judo itself is art in action.

I think BJJ is more complicated technically, and has that as a plus. But technical complexity can also be a trap, as that Girl BJJ Brown Belt video v. the Japanese Guy Black-belt in Judo, kinda played out. When he caught the throw... she just went flying while she struggled to get BJJ technique to keep ahead of him.

The vast majority of elite athletes started their sports before the age of 10. Kids training MMA from an early age will DEFINITELY translate into championships.
I guess, maybe so. Keep seeing this theme here over & over. Dunnno.{<huh}

On the injury phenomen, I am comfortable in saying @ this time that the wisdom of Judo's designer really shows through. He originated a full contact sport with 'gentle way' as it's masthead.

MMA injuries arise from the imprecise application of physical, muscular strength directed into force. In contrast, Judo yields to the application of physical, muscular strength turning same into force against the aggressor. Which is then expertly redirected according to especially designed technique(s).<{hfved}>

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/middleeasy.com/mma-news/usada-steroid-use-injuries-ufc/?amp

• In 2014 there was an average cancellation of 2.7 a card compared to 3.7 a card in 2017

I haven’t seen the stats for 2018 and 2019 yet but it seems to be the way it goes.

Just to add comparisons to this.

They say in 2014 there were 125 injuries from 45 fights
in 2017 their comparison year he says its 3.7 injuries per card but provides no actual figures.

I just checked 2018 and 2019 (I have all this data to hand in my usada sheet as it tracks event withdrawals)

2019 - it was 113 withdrawals/injuries (if fighter a was injured and fight b was taken off the card, I only consider fighter a the withdrawal) (43 cards)

2018 - it was 107 (39 cards)

2017 it was 112 (39 cards)

2014 125 apparently (47 cards)

2019 - 2.62 per card
2018 - 2.74 per card
2017 - 2.87 per card
2014 - 2.65 per card

The author 1) pulled figures out of his arse for 2017, it was higher but not by much 2) is completely wrong anyway. theres basically no difference

but its middleeasy, they are a mma satire site more than anything. is to be expected.

On the injury phenomen, I am comfortable in saying @ this time that the wisdom of Judo's designer really shows through. He originated a full contact sport with 'gentle way' as it's masthead.

MMA injuries arise from the imprecise application of physical, muscular strength directed into force. In contrast, Judo yields to the application of physical, muscular strength turning same into force against the aggressor. Which is then expertly redirected according to especially designed technique(s).<{hfved}>
Huge amount of injuries in competitive judo. It is murder on the hands.

It's dangerous to assume a correlation after just looking at 2 data points, cause with further datapoints it might show there was no correlation.

It's especially dangerous in situations like these where everyone will think "totally makes sense" and then imagine that these stats are solid proof t
Further analysis is required for 2018,2016, 2013 & 2012
Indeed.
What if the levels of 2013 were just as high as 2017 - wouldn't that nullify most of the theory?

everyone is on steroids, let them roid, USADA is corrupt, etc etc

now figure out how many injuries have ruined fights since Zuffa began offering health insurance...

That's a crazy fucking stat.

With all the time and advancement of science you would think that there must be some roids we could let them safely use with no long term bad effects?

I'd love to some hard numbers on the dangers of steroids. Like, if you use a steroid that presents a threat of liver damage, is it a 1% chance of liver damage, is it a sure thing with the only variable being the extent of the damage, etc. Are there some PEDs notable less or more dangerous than others? The risks are always presented generally and somewhat vaguely.

Back