35 years ago today, Hagler/Hearns

First thought- that was a fight, remember watching it live

immediately flushed by fuck I’m old

Hagler really was the fucking Terminator, huh? I’m going back and watching his fights now and he’s just so damn good.

Hagler really was the fucking Terminator, huh? I’m going back and watching his fights now and he’s just so damn good.

He didnt normally fight like this. I think he couldve beaten Tommy much easier if he played his usual game but he wanted to make a point

I think guys like Aaron Pryor, Jeff Fenech, Henry Armstrong etc fit the label of Terminator more. Even among MWs historically the likes of Gene Fullmer or GGG had more Terminator styles than Hagler. Hell even a Bennie Briscoe was much more of that and a past it Bennie was backing up Hagler during most of their fight. Watching some of Haglers earlier fights he could box beautifully and switch stances as technically as almost anyone

I still haven't figured why Hearns fell apart. I guess the answer is as usual somewhere in the feet / stance / hips / positioning.

Whenever someone asks me what fight should I watch that's my go-to. It has everything and doesn't take long to watch. I have only watched it about 20 or 30 times.

Another brilliant all action but very short fight is 'Boom Boom' Mancinin vs Arturo Frias.

I still haven't figured why Hearns fell apart. I guess the answer is as usual somewhere in the feet / stance / hips / positioning.
he wasn't very strong, he came in overconfident and he couldn't really hurt Hagler after the first half of the first round. His shortcomings of stamina and lack of resilience did him in. Being a natural Middleweight really did help Marvin in that fight. He was able to back up tommy, to push him to the ropes, rough him up on the inside and then there was that pesky habit Hagler had of switching up which never worked better than it did that night.

Whenever someone asks me what fight should I watch that's my go-to. It has everything and doesn't take long to watch. I have only watched it about 20 or 30 times.

Another brilliant all action but very short fight is 'Boom Boom' Mancinin vs Arturo Frias.
ya, mancini frias is one i think of when people bring up hagler hearns. Lots of great fights, there really are, but none had the tension, the buildup and the culmination of that kind of explosive physical violence that Hagler Hearns did. Barkely-Benn is another real good short fight.

he wasn't very strong, he came in overconfident and he couldn't really hurt Hagler after the first half of the first round. His shortcomings of stamina and lack of resilience did him in. Being a natural Middleweight really did help Marvin in that fight. He was able to back up tommy, to push him to the ropes, rough him up on the inside and then there was that pesky habit Hagler had of switching up which never worked better than it did that night.

This is more of a explanation in relation to physicality and strategy .. I'm looking for an explanation as far as mechanics and technique goes. I remember watching that fight in slow motion once, and Tommy did try to jab and box from a long range, but he couldn't keep it up.

Stamina, I don't know... They went the highest pace possible, but it were merely 3 rounds... And strength? Tommy trained every day of his life, later on he competed at 175... So he probably had enough strength.

I was also looking for years why Ken Norton fell apart against punchers, because I was never satisfied with the explanation that his chin wasn't good enough.

This is more of a explanation in relation to physicality and strategy .. I'm looking for an explanation as far as mechanics and technique goes. I remember watching that fight in slow motion once, and Tommy did try to jab and box from a long range, but he couldn't keep it up.

Stamina, I don't know... They went the highest pace possible, but it were merely 3 rounds... And strength? Tommy trained every day of his life, later on he competed at 175... So he probably had enough strength.

I was also looking for years why Ken Norton fell apart against punchers, because I was never satisfied with the explanation that his chin wasn't good enough.
tommy never had great stamina or resilience, or..., strength, you see how that last right hand knocked him halfway across the ring? What happens to a smaller fighter a lot of the time, or even just a fighter who doesn't have the physical strength to keep a guy off, is the stronger fighter just becomes more aggressive and nothing the other fighter does is enough to keep the guy off, even if it's technically perfect.

I've mentioned before how a local fighter once fought Leo Dorin, his first big fight, and leo, who wasn't a strong, big puncher, was still way too much for the local guy, even though he was taller, roughly the same size and had great technique, he couldn't keep the guy off of him and just took a beating. Tommy tried but he couldn't keep marvin outside and he couldn't beat him inside and he didn't have the resilience or the stamina to box. You can see how he was heaving when he was on the canvas, simple answer, he had no gas tank, it failed him against Ray too. Also, guys like him have the power advantage but not the roughousing, strength advantage, I'm sure he hit harder than hagler and he was faster with his hands, had all the height/reach advantage but his weakness lost the big fight for him again. Was even worse when he fought barkely who did what hagler did with fewer punches. roldan also had him on queer street. Tommy was great, one of my faves and a gentleman, his strengths and weaknesses made for excitement, even when he was fighting guys like, what was the guys name he fought at lightheavy? he hurt him to and tommy had to really beat on him to win that title.

Back