310 pounds, wanna do MMA to get in shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple Lotion

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys I was thinking about canceling my current gym membership and transferring to this local MMA gym. After the first or second week of my regular gym I lose motivation and it just becomes a hassle to get up and go. I'm 19, 6'4, 310 pounds and I don't think I'm one of those athletic fat kids. I believe I'm fairly flexible for my size and very enthusiastic about MMA. I love rolling with friends and I seamlessly never get tired because I'm having so much fun.

I'm not looking to fight just lose weight and have fun doing it. At my current gym all I do is bring my iPod and hit the treadmill and weight machines and go home. It's just dull and robotic. I'm hoping there's some other bigger guys or even people who train themselves with bigger out of shape people who can give me some advice. The only thing stopping me from really transferring is I don't want to hold the class back. I can't do a push up (I can do a wall push up I have way too much upper body fat and not enough muscle to support it). I'm scared I'll just embarrass myself trying to do these long warm ups. The actual rolling and stuff I actually look forward to.

My concerns:
1) The credentials of the gym. It's a local MMA gym on their website there is no credentials for any of the guys who run it. They don't train with Gis and they don't give out belts. It's like a bunch of members get together and workout, roll and spar together. This isn't THAT big of a concern since my goal is to lose weight and get in shape and all I'm really looking for is a great workout and to learn while having fun.

2) Being pressured into fighting. The gym I'm signing up to has their own little fight team of a couple of guys and you can join their team if they feel comfortable putting you into a fight or if you're experienced enough. My concern is not fighting eventually because I do plan to atleast have 1 amateur fight in my life to see whether I like it or not. But for now I just want to work out and I don't know how I would deal with one of the coaches pressuring me into fighting for the gym because they do host fights inside the actual gym. My opinion the longer I wait to fight the better. I'm a small HW or LHW guy in a 310lb body ya'know?

3) Being too big for MMA. With guys like Ross Clifton (RIP) and shit doing MMA surely a guy my size can get in there and do the warm ups, roll and spar right? I'm worried about being looked down upon because of my size and maybe not being able to handle the warm ups and work outs as good as everyone else. As far as push ups goes I can't do a traditional one with good form. I can do a girl push up or an assisted one against the wall. All my strength is really in my legs.

4) Rolling with girls. Is it hard to get an erection when you roll with girls?

Have any of you guys ever been to a low-key gym like this? It's only $40 a month for unlimited classes. They teach BJJ, boxing and kick boxing and will be teaching wrestling soon.

fuck-you-mugshot.jpg

Terrible advice but thank you nontheless. I will be giving it a try. Any of you guys that roll with bigger people, mainly outoffuckingshape people can you describe what the experience is like? Do they make you work more? Are they beneficial at all to a smaller guy?

Most schools don't give a crap about your ability (or lack thereof), size, or anything like that. As long as you have a good attitude, they're more than happy to take your money and teach you stuff. They are a business, after all. Getting pressured into fighting is a rare thing, and a good way to lose paying customers.

Also, weird thread, wrong forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back