30 years ago, Douglas beat Tyson.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Today marks the 30th anniversary of Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson in maybe the biggest upset in sports history.

Where were you when you heard about the upset? How did you react?

I can only watch the Japanese commentary of it now, it reminds me of my favourite sports anime

Tyson just looked so off his game to me. He just stood there like a log. They even said after the first round that was the least amount of punches he ever threw in a first round. I just don’t get how anyone who’s actually carefully studied that fight can say that was Tyson on his A game. I think Buster Douglas was just at the right place at the right time. Anyone would’ve beaten Tyson that night

You almost cried watching it for first time this morning or did you cry in 1990 at age negative 3?

Haven't you heard of past lives asshole?

Sitting on a couch with my roommate a year or two out of HS and we're drinking beers and by the time we're in the 10th we're madly cheering for Douglas. Jumping up and down, high-fiving after the stoppage. We had witnessed the impossible. We had witnessed history. It was fucking surreal. And we were pretty lit up by then, too.

Sitting on a couch with my roommate a year or two out of HS and we're drinking beers and by the time we're in the 10th we're madly cheering for Douglas. Jumping up and down, high-fiving after the stoppage. We had witnessed the impossible. We had witnessed history. It was fucking surreal. And we were pretty lit up by then, too.
that was a popular sentiment, Tyson had begun going through a terrible backlash the couple years preceeding. Before that, he was seen as a bad boy made good with the cus and the kid stories but he then left his original team and started with don and that began a long slow backlash that he's only recently come out of. Mike Katz who wrote and article called "happy birthday ingrate" for Mike around the time claimed he heard new yorkers cheering throughout his neighborhood when Mike was counted out.

What to make of the hate? The main factor is that Americans don't like big winners who look unbeatable. It was the same for Sugar Ray Robinson, the same for Ali, the same for many celebrities when they were young. Life knocks all of us down though and Americans end up, at least, some of them coming back around to cherishing the formerly despised. At that time, no one thought mike would be beat for a long time. So, although he was mouthing off in interviews chastising his opponents "primitive skills" and although he left his original group, I just think, early on, that the public just doesn't like a winner. Ali's physical prime and his celebrity prime are at opposite ends of the spectrum as far as his career.

At the time, I blamed it on don king but with hindsight, it was a lot of factors, most of them having to do with the man himself. I doubt don wanted to lose his cash cow and i doubt don would want mike coming in out of shape, those were things that were out of don's hands. Mike was warned by everyone but then and for a long time, he was a stubborn, argumentative young man who couldn't be told anything. Jay Bright claims he told Mike "with everything I know about this sport, you're headed towards a buttwhipping". Mike didn't listen, and he took to chasing around photographers (later claiming he heard Jim Brown did that and thought it was cool) afterwards and banging groupies until one took him down. Teddy Atlas, Robin Givens and others were warning us for a long time and we just thought they were fucked up but they saw something we didn't.

most fighters with talent and chins like his are never knocked out, what do we make of him? sometimes i think i know, sometimes I don't.

I still remember Douglas saying he was going to shock the world and mourning his mother. He had a few weeks to use that as final motivation.
To be clear, we weren't rooting against Mike going in, just there for the show. From the opening bell Douglas wasn't afraid of Tyson, and as the fight wore on it was hard to not kind of be pulling for James even though you knew that Mike was going to end him at any second.

Edit to add I texted my buddy who I lived with at the time like "that was 30 years ago, man". He replied "Damn it". lol

I still remember Douglas saying he was going to shock the world and mourning his mother. He had a few weeks to use that as final motivation.
To be clear, we weren't rooting against Mike going in, just there for the show. From the opening bell Douglas wasn't afraid of Tyson, and as the fight wore on it was hard to not kind of be pulling for James even though you knew that Mike was going to end him at any second.

Edit to add I texted my buddy who I lived with at the time like "that was 30 years ago, man". He replied "Damn it". lol
ya, hard to believe. I remember my life then, I was working at a steel fabrication plant, living with a stupid roomate, was 21, didn't really know what or how i wanted to do anything in life. it was interesting to see how the media and spectators changed on Mike, my roomate said "he looks like a...what is the weight division below heavyweight? ya, he looks like a lightheavyweight" he really was small, too small. wally matthews, another tyson hater, went so far as to say that tyson was only 180 pounds after prison. Never saw any proof of that, never, but if it was true, fuck, that is small. He deserves some credit for doing as well as he did.

If he'd been unbeaten going to prison, his career and standing would be easier for me to place.
Couldnt watch it live but when I put the tv on in the morning, my jaw hit the floor.

If he'd been unbeaten going to prison, his career and standing would be easier for me to place.
Couldnt watch it live but when I put the tv on in the morning, my jaw hit the floor.
i didn't see it live either, I caught hbo's great broadcast a week later, still have the tape. so, i heard it on the news, was angry as hell. he was suppossed to be my generations great heavyweight.

maybe wallace matthews was right, maybe we were sold a bill of goods. we fell for it again post-prison, no one thought holyfield had a shot, ron borges made a career by picking holyfield.

also, no one talks about this but all the big brains (arcel, futch, dundee.., etcc.,) all said mike was through at 23, after the douglas fight. they dragged him, i always just thought it was jealousy for not handling such a talent. dundee said that "his body looks old" funny how they all flip flopped when mike got out of prison. people are fickle and mike was good for the sport. His aura persisted past the night with douglas. i remember telling my mom that tyson got kayoed by holyfield, she didn't know anything about boxing but she was shocked and said "you're kidding". I even remember listening to the holyfield rematch, not watching because i was "watching" on scrambled hbo, audio but no visual and listening to the earbite and just hoping he wouldn't do it again after the first bite, sure enough, he does it.

what can we say, mike was hopeless, not hopeless like our family members and friends who just won't listen when we try to help them, but hopeless to ever achieve greatness for many of those same reasons. It used to be frustrating just reading interviews with him, his head was fucked up and one could be forgiven for just thinking he was retarded. No logic would ever get through to him, even in prison you can see his attitude, watch the ed bradley interview and it's exhausting, with all the shit he's going through, he's still not getting it. what a waste.

In many ways, he wasn't any different than my alcoholic sister who died of aids and would only get defensive when I'd try to help her, or my mom who would get angry when I'd try to tell her to respect her own body, or the friends I've had who want my help (money)but don't want my advice. I saw a childhood friend who i told in our teens to leave that alcohol alone, saw him a few months ago and gave him fifty bucks, he called me a million times, after all i've dealt with, i just ignore his calls and yesterday, when i saw him with his sign, begging for money again, i just drove the other way. Like I said, people want to use you but they won't even listen to the simplest shit when you're really sincere.

most fighters with talent and chins like his are never knocked out, what do we make of him? sometimes i think i know, sometimes I don't.
That's the thing about Mike, we never really found out entirely.

And great post directly above this bro, i could read that type of shit all night

Tyson just looked so off his game to me. He just stood there like a log. They even said after the first round that was the least amount of punches he ever threw in a first round. I just don’t get how anyone who’s actually carefully studied that fight can say that was Tyson on his A game. I think Buster Douglas was just at the right place at the right time. Anyone would’ve beaten Tyson that night
he was but all the champions before him had off nights, Ali had at least 5 where he still managed to pull out wins. Sugar Ray Robinson "left his legs in Paris" when he lost to randy turpin but he didn't get knocked down and he came back to win a tough fight a couple months later. Tyson, when things didn't go his way, just took pure beatings. The Douglas and Holyfield fights weren't even close, neither was the Lewis fight. Mike Katz said "where was that great reservoir of spirit that great champions have" after Douglas, which, I really think is unfair, the man took a huge beating, came close to knocking douglas out, was trying to win, even more, when he was exhausted than he was in the early rounds. Like I say, I don't know what to make of Mike. He's hardly a Liston or a Duran who quit before they really had a chance to take a real beating. Still, a lot of great fighters have come in unprepared and pulled out fights, and/or won rematches, Tyson never did.

That's the thing about Mike, we never really found out entirely.

And great post directly above this bro, i could read that type of shit all night
thanks, hope you didn't see the other one.

Today marks the 30th anniversary of Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson in maybe the biggest upset in sports history.

Where were you when you heard about the upset? How did you react?
Preparing to run in mountains with my family when war is about to start, did not have to toys barely any food till 2000, then we come back to our city and then credit from bank we take to build up our destroyed house in war fak us good too till 2018 when we finally give back all money to bank, and last year I finally start buying good shit for me: gaming PC monitor ...

Got a text tonight, he's like that was at the apartment over on X by the gas station and the bowling alley that you later assaulted a couple guys at, I jumped in having no idea what had even transpired and we got locked up, right? Yep, that was the same apartment. That was it. lol

But we totally remember that apartment and that day. And we both realized we're getting old. lol

Preparing to run in mountains with my family when war is about to start, did not have to toys barely any food till 2000, then we come back to our city and then credit from bank we take to build up our destroyed house in war fak us good too till 2018 when we finally give back all money to bank, and last year I finally start buying good shit for me: gaming PC monitor ...
Kudos to you for your strong constitution. You needed it to get you through all that, brother. And congrats on the monitor!

Back