30 minutes a day, 5x a week good enough to work on technique

MMouse

Now you enter...the shredder
Banned
Reaction score
Likewise was reading and searching here through the forum and came across this

I have no idea how many times the average person on sherdog trains because I don't train them (although I have a feeling you're going to get plenty of people posting to disagree with your statement) but I can tell you from more than 6 years of training many of the top pros, including 6 fighters who have held world championships, and countless amateurs in the sport that 5-6 MMA sessions per week is commonplace, even among the amateur and just recreational levels.

and well myself like most ppl here work full time and have other priorities and stresses to deal with. I was wondering if even 30mins a day 5x a week is enough.

This, like most other questions of this nature depends on alot of things. If that's all you have or are willing to do, then try it and see.

What're your goals? Will you get better at some point? Yes. Will you be a pro fighter in six months? Doubtful.

30 minutes a day with a good pad holder would probably get some benefits coming from it, over a long period of time. Not sure how valuable a half hour session would be, because by the time you really get stuck into it, it'll almost be over.

well 30 minutes is pretty damn short. most places train 1 hour minimum and 2 plus is not uncommon either. but I can tell you for a fact that most people do not train 5-6 days a week. more like 2-3.

When I train with people, it's at least two hours. Hard to get in a solid muay thai regimen in less time given the curriculum:

Warm up
Bag work
Pad work
Techniques
Clinch sparring / Sparring
Conditioning (optional)

On my own, because of time constraints, I try to make sure I do some form of exercise with at least one day of rest each week...and try to make it 30 min to an hour. That exercise could be running, weights, bag work, shadowboxing, jump-roping, or a combination thereof. At this stage in the game for me (25 years into things) that works just fine.

If you're in the learning stages and your goal is to get better in a relatively shorter timeframe that may not be enough, since you're body is just warming up from a technique standpoint. But all in all...30 min x 5 days is better than NOT doing it at all!

What're your goals? Will you get better at some point? Yes. Will you be a pro fighter in six months? Doubtful.

Thanks for the reply guys

Well I like to compete and go as far possible.

Someone mentioned here it's next to impossible training 5-6x aweek, well I agree since being at 22 years of age the lifestyle here in north american culture demands myself to have a full time job and other priorities. While I still think on somedays i can squeeze in 30mins or so without killing myself so much.

Last edited:

Someone mentioned here it's next to impossible training 5-6x aweek, well I agree since being at 22 years of age the lifestyle here in north american culture demands myself to have a full time job and other priorities. While I still think on somedays i can squeeze in 30mins or so without killing myself so much.

It's not too bad...

During the week (m-f) I train 30-60 min depending on the workout--taking a day or two off at some point depending on my body feel.
Saturday is 2 hours at the MT gym, then perhaps another hour or so with a private group.
Sunday is a 2 hour session in the morning with the private group.

I wish I could do nothing but train like the thai's do...3 hours in the morning and 3 in the evening, but with having to juggle family, job, and rest it's tough to say the least.

Do you train at a gym or are you otherwise working with anyone? Or are you just hitting a bag by yourself for 30 minutes?

Likewise was reading and searching here through the forum and came across this

and well myself like most ppl here work full time and have other priorities and stresses to deal with. I was wondering if even 30mins a day 5x a week is enough.

with that type of attitude you aren't going to make it anywhere. But it's alright you can impress your friends by telling them you train dat ufc

It's not too bad...

During the week (m-f) I train 30-60 min depending on the workout--taking a day or two off at some point depending on my body feel.
Saturday is 2 hours at the MT gym, then perhaps another hour or so with a private group.
Sunday is a 2 hour session in the morning with the private group.

I wish I could do nothing but train like the thai's do...3 hours in the morning and 3 in the evening, but with having to juggle family, job, and rest it's tough to say the least.

Do you train at a gym or are you otherwise working with anyone? Or are you just hitting a bag by yourself for 30 minutes?

Awesome reply guys, and thanks again for considering helping me out.

Gotobread,

I train at a gym participate in class, spar and train bymyself at times. I'll try to give you as much details as I can in regards to my work schedule and my gym hours. Hopefully makes it much easier helping me out.

Well my shift work schedule changes weekly doing security. I can end up working from 7am-3pm, 8am-4pm, 9am-5pm, 12pm-8pm, 4pm-12am ect. anywhere from 7am to 12am being 8 hours.

Here's my training schedule hours

schedule09132010.jpg

So how about should I structure it with the flexible work schedule being full time? Should I train bymyself and do class and spar all at once on days I don't work, kind of like what Vankuen does? and on days were I finish work after gym hours or days were I feel drained, just go light 30mins or so shadow box and heavy bag?

I should also note that training by yourself during class time, can be distracting towards the class since the bags are in the same room as class being taught....normally the kru or instructor would expect you to stop hitting it when he is speaking

Last edited:
Back