30 - 06 VS. 7.62 x 51mm NATO.

ShinkanPo

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Hi I am not a gun owner but I am interested about fire arms.

Is the 7.62 x 51 NATO as powerfull as the 30 - 06 since the US switched from the 30 - 06 to the shorter 7.62 x 51 I am wondering if they have the same power or the Military changed its doctrine and just opt for a lesser power smaller cartridge like the concept behind the itermediate cartridge less power but more volume

I am just curious about guns

Hi I am not a gun owner but I am interested about fire arms.

Is the 7.62 x 51 NATO as powerfull as the 30 - 06 since the US switched from the 30 - 06 to the shorter 7.62 x 51 I am wondering if they have the same power or the Military changed its doctrine and just opt for a lesser power smaller cartridge like the concept behind the itermediate cartridge less power but more volume

308-30-06-1.jpg

30-06 has more feet per second and foot pounds of energy on impact. So it is more powerful. The .308 isn't far behind though.

They switched because it was lighter, 30-06 was basically overkill, recoil/more manageable, follow up shot speed, carry capacity for a soldier, etc. So lighter, less recoil, slightly less performance but still more than enough.

308-30-06-1.jpg

30-06 has more feet per second and foot pounds of energy on impact. So it is more powerful. The .308 isn't far behind though.

They switched because it was lighter, 30-06 was basically overkill, recoil/more manageable, follow up shot speed, carry capacity for a soldier, etc. So lighter, less recoil, slightly less performance but still more than enough.

Oh now I get it so they went for practicality and efficiency than range and power just the same as the switch to the .223 during the Armalite era.

Because for years I was under the impression that the .308 and the .30 - 06 has equally the same performance even thoug the .308 cartridge is shorter due to better propelant.

O damnn now I know that the 30 - 06 has bit more power.

I want shoot one..

I am not very experience with guns I dont own any but I love messing around them when ever I get invited by the military to fire a couple rounds at a military base.

I have fired the M60 and the M14 now I want to fire a BAR,Springfield,M1 garrand and the M1919 machine gun.

I could barely control the M14 in full auto I wonder what will happen if I spray the BAR.

Are there variants of the M14 chambered for the 30 - 06 full auto or a 30 - 06 version of the AR 10?

Thanks for the inputs damn I really miss firing guns even though I could not hit anything I just love the sensation of that recoil and seing some dirt fly lol.

Yeah I know I am childish but that is me...

Oh now I get it so they went for practicality and efficiency than range and power just the same as the switch to the .223 during the Armalite era.

Because for years I was under the impression that the .308 and the .30 - 06 has equally the same performance even thoug the .308 cartridge is shorter due to better propelant.

O damnn now I know that the 30 - 06 has bit more power.

I want shoot one..

I am not very experience with guns I dont own any but I love messing around them when ever I get invited by the military to fire a couple rounds at a military base.

I have fired the M60 and the M14 now I want to fire a BAR,Springfield,M1 garrand and the M1919 machine gun.

I could barely control the M14 in full auto I wonder what will happen if I spray the BAR.

Are there variants of the M14 chambered for the 30 - 06 full auto or a 30 - 06 version of the AR 10?

Thanks for the inputs damn I really miss firing guns even though I could not hit anything I just love the sensation of that recoil and seing some dirt fly lol.

Yeah I know I am childish but that is me...

The 7.62 to 5.56 was a much more dramatic drop. The .308 still had plenty of power and range. But yes.

I believe some soldiers actually modified their M1's to be full auto. Other than that I'm not aware of a mass produced full auto .30-06 in a m1 platform. A company called Noreen makes an AR platform in 30-06.

A better rifle(albeit 2.5x more expensive) would be Falkor Defense's Petra in .300 win mag or .300 norma mag.

FALKOR-Petra-300-Win-Mag-Mag-Dump-using-Federal-Fusion-185gr.-Using-this-Ammo-is-considered-dangerou.jpg

FALKOR-PETRA-CF.jpg

Shooting is awesome

The 7.62 to 5.56 was a much more dramatic drop. The .308 still had plenty of power and range. But yes.

I believe some soldiers actually modified their M1's to be full auto. Other than that I'm not aware of a mass produced full auto .30-06 in a m1 platform. A company called Noreen makes an AR platform in 30-06.

A better rifle(albeit 2.5x more expensive) would be Falkor Defense's Petra in .300 win mag or .300 norma mag.

FALKOR-Petra-300-Win-Mag-Mag-Dump-using-Federal-Fusion-185gr.-Using-this-Ammo-is-considered-dangerou.jpg

FALKOR-PETRA-CF.jpg

Shooting is awesome

Wow now I gotta check you tube vids of that rifle..

Its weird I have fired different rifles already and some Machine guns, but never a pistol.

300 win mag in an ar platform would be a lot of fun, I saw a pump action ar15 in 338 lapis magnum too lol.

300 win mag in an ar platform would be a lot of fun, I saw a pump action ar15 in 338 lapis magnum too lol.
There is a company that makes it and the Beowulf .50 but they're equivalent to the down payment on this:
2015-FORD-SUPER-DUTY_SKV_5628.jpg

I know guys that served who had people in their units that were designated as the ones trained as snipers/sharpshooters and they ALL almost to a man had one guy in the two man team dust off M14s.

.223 vs 30-06

308-30-06-1.jpg

I prefer the more powerful 300 Win Mag.

308-30-06-1.jpg

ReRoute pretty much summed it up as far as ballistic capability and ease of use.

I'd like to add, since I recently did a shitload of research into the caliber of rifles I was going to buy, and three of biggest issues I noticed were 30-06 rifles are generally bolt-action and not semi-auto, much more expensive than 7.62 rifles, and the 30-06 ammo is also much more expensive. (Around $1.30 a round for the cheap brands)

And as ReRoute specifically said, unless you're counting on making very long range shots (700+ meters), its almost always overkill. And since you don't own a gun, this caliber isn't the best for those who are new to shooting.

ReRoute pretty much summed it up as far as ballistic capability and ease of use.

I'd like to add, since I recently did a shitload of research into the caliber of rifles I was going to buy, and three of biggest issues I noticed were 30-06 rifles are generally bolt-action and not semi-auto, much more expensive than 7.62 rifles, and the 30-06 ammo is also much more expensive. (Around $1.30 a round for the cheap brands)

And as ReRoute specifically said, unless you're counting on making very long range shots (700+ meters), its almost always overkill. And since you don't own a gun, this caliber isn't the best for those who are new to shooting.

We have a bullshit law in our country I need to have employers clearance to buy a gun and since I am a freelance music teacher for now since I lost my Job.

I can't buy a gun while the fucking rapist,drug dealers,Communist separatist are running in Mindanao with RPGs

Fuck it Why do I have to tell my Boss I will buy a gun.... so Now we can be victimized because we don't have jerbs

Sorry for the Rant..

We have a bullshit law in our country I need to have employers clearance to buy a gun and since I am a freelance music teacher for now since I lost my Job.

I can't buy a gun while the fucking rapist,drug dealers,Communist separatist are running in Mindanao with RPGs

Fuck it Why do I have to tell my Boss I will buy a gun.... so Now we can be victimized because we don't have jerbs

Sorry for the Rant..

Holy shit.... my suggestion is to get out of the Philippines ASAP, if and while you can.

And if Hillary is the next President, she wants to do immigration reform within the first 100 days, so I'd get here now.

Holy shit.... my suggestion is to get out of the Philippines ASAP, if and while you can.

And if Hillary is the next President, she wants to do immigration reform within the first 100 days, so I'd get here now.

Hillary is pro immigration right?

Speaking of Guns, this is embarrassing it is my GF who knows how to shoot guns and she is the one thought me about the basics although we never got her fathers 9mm to the range she does not have a license yet but she plans to buy her own 9mm....

She said she learned to shoot back when she was 18 but she has not fired that pistol since like 2008. Her dad is from the countryside so people there have guns for home defense.

This why I am sure she will dump me in the future and Marry an American man from the US Embassy where she works hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha......

There is a company that makes it and the Beowulf .50 but they're equivalent to the down payment on this:
2015-FORD-SUPER-DUTY_SKV_5628.jpg

I know guys that served who had people in their units that were designated as the ones trained as snipers/sharpshooters and they ALL almost to a man had one guy in the two man team dust off M14s.

.223 vs 30-06

.223/5.56's biggest limiting factor is ammo. With the right ammo for the application...

Vmax

Oh I know what .223/5.56 CAN do but in a combat scenario I don't see the military being outfitted with Hornady V-Max ammo.

Oh I know what .223/5.56 CAN do but in a combat scenario I don't see the military being outfitted with Hornady V-Max ammo.

Not legal for military anyway. Vmax isn't great for anything large. TSX is where it's at.

The Phillipines is my favorite country....to visit. I'm not sure how id feel about living there.

Back